Going to a concert - Page 3

Going to a concert

This is a discussion on Going to a concert within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; gotta enjoy life. sometimes that means not being able to carry....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Going to a concert

gotta enjoy life. sometimes that means not being able to carry.
    I don't think it's nice, you laughin'.

Quote Originally Posted by jrec87 View Post
    I agree with you in principle. We must have fun and entertainment.

However, there are enough times that I was enjoying life and had I not been armed I would not be here typing this (no one died, but most especially not me ;) ).

I'm not saying I won't go anywhere unarmed, but there just aren't many places I want to see/go/experience badly enough to go at the mercy of the good intents and poor security of others. There are a LOT of place that I can and do enjoy while discretely armed.

But, of course, to each their own and we don't all live in the same places with the same rules of the land. Some places make it darn hard to do anything more than walk to the mailbox armed and you have to adapt. I'm just speaking for me in my extended AO. YMMV.
    Haywood likes this.

I've seen Bon Jovi & Eric Clapton at the Staples Center. I've seen more than a few rock concerts in LA. I've never carried a handgun. With top tier gigs, there are a zillion LAPD cops around. The city wants to attract big name talent for the tax $$$. Were people mugged at such concerts, attendance would suffer, which would cause tax $$$ to shrink.

I'd carry to a sporting event in LA, which is why I won't go to Dodgers games. About 5 years ago, an off-duty fireman who was a Giants fan was almost killed by rabid Dodgers fans. I believe LAPD arrested all suspects involved.

In the early 80's, a many cops I worked with attended a Riders game when they played in the Colosseum. We decided that if we had to carry at a pro football game, we ought not go. Raiders fans are beyond hostile. They used to look for a reason to fight.

After thinking about this: if you think you need to take a gun, don't go. Avoidance is the only known way of surviving a gunfight.

If my g/f friend wins & I gotta go here: https://kingtutexhibition.com/en/ I will take a gun. It's in a gang plagued area of LA. I'll pay more for VIP parking so I can park next to the entrance. I'll hope that LAPD will have cops patrolling the venue.

BTW, I'd love to see the King Tut exhibit, but I ain't willing to risk running into trouble to see it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^

Too many bad things happen in huge crowds of people. I'd rather watch it on TV, on YouTube, or listen on an MP3 player. YMMV.
    Also, in such a crowd should something go bad there's very little chance you could safely draw and use a firearm anyhow. The odds of a shot striking an innocent are simply far too high.

As a general rule if going to a given venue or location poses such a high threat level that you feel like you cannot safely go unarmed you're better off avoiding it if at all possible.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

DG
    I'm sorry. I refuse to quit living on the possibility that there's always the chance that something might happen.

A car veers off the road and kills your neighbor as he's standing at the mailbox checking his mail. Do you quit going to the mailbox?

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    I'm sorry. I refuse to quit living on the possibility that there's always the chance that something might happen.

A car veers off the road and kills your neighbor as he's standing at the mailbox checking his mail. Do you quit going to the mailbox?
    You might have a point if there was a high probability of being run over at the mailbox. It's not a high threat environment.

DG
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    You might have a point if there was a high probability of being run over at the mailbox. It's not a high threat environment.
    And you think attending a concert is? Based on what? Isolated incidents that made the news? How many uneventful concerts took place in the meantime? Well, those don't get reported. The Rolling Stones just wrapped up a tour. Nothing happened. Can't imagine why that wasn't all over the news.
    sqlb3rn likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    And you think attending a concert is? Based on what? Isolated incidents that made the news? How many uneventful concerts took place in the meantime? Well, those don't get reported. The Rolling Stones just wrapped up a tour. Nothing happened. Can't imagine why that wasn't all over the news.
    If going to concerts is a high priority for you, go for it. I have other priorities.
    CDW4ME likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Based on what I've heard, OP will be in more danger from Atlanta drivers than anybody at or around the concert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    sqlb3rn likes this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I have read of instances of being wanted, legally carried firearm detected, CCW shown, and allowed to proceed.
    Not my personal experience (I never go anywhere fun anymore), but I guess possible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jrec87 View Post

Gotta enjoy life, sometimes that means n̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶r̶y̶ avoiding where I can't carry.

FIFY.
    Pete63 likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

You should just go and have fun and leave your gun at home. If you think there’s a good chance you’ll have to fight your way back to your car then you probably shouldn’t go. JMHO

I think sometimes we “carriers” are too caught up in that aspect of our lives and miss what’s out there. Did you know that good guys with guns many times still end up shot or dead? A gun ain’t a magic talisman.

I dare say at least half this forum (statistically) is way more likely to die of heart diesease than from being unarmed, do we eat better or do anything to prevent it? No. But we avoid life’s experiences if we can’t take our gun? What sense does that make? No amount of ammo is going to save you on that day when The Lord calls your number. Big boys rules. You don’t have to agree with me, but that doesn’t make me wrong.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I think sometimes we “carriers” are too caught up in that aspect of our lives and miss what’s out there. Did you know that good guys with guns many times still end up shot or dead? A gun ain’t a magic talisman.

I dare say at least half this forum (statistically) is way more likely to die of heart diesease than from being unarmed, do we eat better or do anything to prevent it? No. But we avoid life’s experiences if we can’t take our gun? What sense does that make? No amount of ammo is going to save you on that day when The Lord calls your number. Big boys rules. You don’t have to agree with me, but that doesn’t make me wrong.
    No they aren't magic talisman's but "good guys with guns" rarely end up dead as a result of lawfully intervening. It happens but it's a statistical rarity at best.

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    No they aren't magic talisman's but "good guys with guns" rarely end up dead as a result of lawfully intervening. It happens but it's a statistical rarity at best.
    I’d encourage you to check out “active self protection” channel on YouTube. There are enough videos of good guys with guns dying or being shot on that channel alone to prove it isn’t a “statistical rarity”. If that is all you need, then it is a statistical rarity that you need a gun at all.

Point is, why would anyone not do something they want to do over not being able to carry a gun? At that point I would consider a person paranoid of dying.
    sqlb3rn likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links