Going to a concert - Page 4

Going to a concert

This is a discussion on Going to a concert within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by smolck I’d encourage you to check out “active self protection” channel on YouTube. There are enough videos of good guys with guns ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Going to a concert

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I’d encourage you to check out “active self protection” channel on YouTube. There are enough videos of good guys with guns dying or being shot on that channel alone to prove it isn’t a “statistical rarity”. If that is all you need, then it is a statistical rarity that you need a gun at all.

Point is, why would anyone not do something they want to do over not being able to carry a gun? At that point I would consider a person paranoid of dying.
    Most of his videos are pulled from Brazil, Thailand, and Philippines.

There are no crime stats which support your contention.

The good guy with a gun being killed while intervening in the US is far less than a 1/100,000 occurrence.

Carrying a gun does not make you crime proof and before you have a lawful use of deadly force in self defense or defense of a third party you first have to insert yourself into a situation where your life or theirs is under immediate threat.

Live you life as though you are not carrying and you won't put yourself and others at unnecessary risk.

If you don't feel as though you can safely enter an area or a situation unless you are armed you need to reconsider just how badly you need to be there to start with.
    tcbradbury98 and Instymp like this.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    you can expect to leave your EDC in the car or at home.
    there's no way you'll get into a concert these days with a firearm.

DG
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    If going to concerts is a high priority for you, go for it. I have other priorities.
    To each his own. My point was that a 24 hour non-stop news cycle can distort reality. Most children do not die in daycare centers. Most people are not shot in the workplace. Random poisonings by Russian spies are not a common occurrence, even if you live in England.

Chances of dying from something you bought at the supermarket? Try arming against that. The recall always comes after you've eaten it.
    WildRose likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MB53 View Post
    you can expect to leave your EDC in the car or at home.
    there's no way you'll get into a concert these days with a firearm.
    Depends on the venue. In Texas if the venue is owned by local, county, or state gov't it cannot be posted off limits to legal carry.
    sqlb3rn likes this.

I think sometimes we “carriers” are too caught up in that aspect of our lives and miss what’s out there. Did you know that good guys with guns many times still end up shot or dead? A gun ain’t a magic talisman.

I dare say at least half this forum (statistically) is way more likely to die of heart diesease than from being unarmed, do we eat better or do anything to prevent it? No. But we avoid life’s experiences if we can’t take our gun? What sense does that make? No amount of ammo is going to save you on that day when The Lord calls your number. Big boys rules. You don’t have to agree with me, but that doesn’t make me wrong.
    Ha, I sometimes muse that if I die in an armed robbery, the police will find my body with a fully loaded gun and 2 spare mags

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Depends on the venue. In Texas if the venue is owned by local, county, or state gov't it cannot be posted off limits to legal carry.
    Yes, when I attend local concerts around Birmingham/Huntsville, the venues are small and there are no metal detectors and I always carry. That's why I was wondering about the Atlanta venue. When I played in a band a couple years ago, I always carried like normal even on stage. Loading out thousands of dollars of equipment at 2 AM in the back alley of a dive bar in BHam is no place to be unarmed. At least our vocalist, my wife, and the husband of a camera girl were all armed. Probably the bar owners too I'd imagine. I should have probably worn a 3A vest too

I don't know how the metal detectors work, and I've been wondering if it has sensitivity to the size of the metal object, so the "strength" of the beep is softer or louder the more metal it detects. If so, maybe when it beeped on me it just sounded like a small belt buckle, where a steel revolver would set off lights and sirens. I just assumed it either beeps or doesn't no matter if the Tin Man walks through or me with a small belt buckle.
    Pete63 likes this.

The good guy with a gun being killed while intervening in the US is far less than a 1/100,000 occurrence.
    From where did you get this information?
    OD* likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    @sqlb3rn , thanks for chiming in. Not sure if some here noticed the concert you went to was month & half ago. Also, as I mentioned in earlier post, not that there is such a thing as "a good part of town" I know for a fact that venue is is in a "poor part of town." Glad all went well for you. There are always S.D. options, in my opinion. Even with hand held metal detectors, I have found that I can be "less than unarmed".
    sqlb3rn likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    To each his own. My point was that a 24 hour non-stop news cycle can distort reality. Most children do not die in daycare centers. Most people are not shot in the workplace. Random poisonings by Russian spies are not a common occurrence, even if you live in England.

Chances of dying from something you bought at the supermarket? Try arming against that. The recall always comes after you've eaten it.
    Point taken. I have no interest in attending events in large venues. Others have other interests. To each his own, just as you say.

No paranoia, just discretion.
    Pete63 and WildRose like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

From where did you get this information?
    We have between 1.5-2 million DGU's in the country annually and in any given year I have never come across more than 5 instances in which the lawful carrier was shot by police or another carrier who mistook them for the bad guy.

If you have a better source for direct information I'd love to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by sqlb3rn View Post
    Ha, I sometimes muse that if I die in an armed robbery, the police will find my body with a fully loaded gun and 2 spare mags

Yes, when I attend local concerts around Birmingham/Huntsville, the venues are small and there are no metal detectors and I always carry. That's why I was wondering about the Atlanta venue. When I played in a band a couple years ago, I always carried like normal even on stage. Loading out thousands of dollars of equipment at 2 AM in the back alley of a dive bar in BHam is no place to be unarmed. At least our vocalist, my wife, and the husband of a camera girl were all armed. Probably the bar owners too I'd imagine. I should have probably worn a 3A vest too

I don't know how the metal detectors work, and I've been wondering if it has sensitivity to the size of the metal object, so the "strength" of the beep is softer or louder the more metal it detects. If so, maybe when it beeped on me it just sounded like a small belt buckle, where a steel revolver would set off lights and sirens. I just assumed it either beeps or doesn't no matter if the Tin Man walks through or me with a small belt buckle.
    They all have to be periodically calibrated to a given sensitivity level to function properly. I've got enough steel in me that I haven't been able to get past a metal detector since they first started using them at airports in the 80's.

When traveling I've seen people set off the beeper with just a key or two in their pockets or just a few coins so some of them are pretty darn sensitive.

All I can say is know your state's laws and where carry is and isn't lawful and act accordingly.

In general I avoid gong anywhere that I can't lawfully carry but it isn't always avoidable.

If it's a business I will simply find an alternative that welcomes me rather than do business with those who don't.
    sqlb3rn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Not sure if some here noticed the concert you went to was month & half ago.

Reading, aint nobody got time for that.

This thread could get resurrected in a couple years and then again six or seven years later.
    Pete63 and sqlb3rn like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

now i remember why i took a break from this place....
    CreedDryrot likes this.
    I don't think it's nice, you laughin'.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    not so sure this is accurate. example The Music Hall at Fair Park, Dallas, which I've always understood to be owned by the city, has 30.06/07 signs posted plus a wand scan. However, that's about the only concert venue I know of in our area that's city owned, if it indeed is, as most are privately owned and operated by companies like Clearchnnel Communications or Live Nation, who also promote the shows booked in those venues. Plus, the performing artists can also mandate what is not allowed inside the venue for their event. Of the dozen or so concerts or stand up comedy shows we've attended in the past 3 years each has had a no weapons of any type rule for getting in with either a full metal scan or a wand scan.

Quote Originally Posted by MB53 View Post
    not so sure this is accurate. example The Music Hall at Fair Park, Dallas, which I've always understood to be owned by the city, has 30.06/07 signs posted plus a wand scan. However, that's about the only concert venue I know of in our area that's city owned, if it indeed is, as most are privately owned and operated by companies like Clearchnnel Communications or Live Nation, who also promote the shows booked in those venues. Plus, the performing artists can also mandate what is not allowed inside the venue for their event. Of the dozen or so concerts or stand up comedy shows we've attended in the past 3 years each has had a no weapons of any type rule for getting in with either a full metal scan or a wand scan.
    If so it's illegally posted and needs to be reported to the AG. If it's city owned no, the "artists" performing inside cannot dictate whether carry is allowed or not.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links