Coming to Jesus moment? - Page 3

Coming to Jesus moment?

This is a discussion on Coming to Jesus moment? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Grizzly2 When I know I will want to try a new holster, or show a handgun to someone in the shop, I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Coming to Jesus moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    When I know I will want to try a new holster, or show a handgun to someone in the shop, I carry a different one that day, and bring the one I want to show into the store in a case or original box, with the chamber already open if possible.
    ^^^ This. If it was my gun shop I wouldn't have it any other way.
    BlackhawkGirl and Old Man like this.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    If you want to test a gun in a holster just go to the gun counter and ask to see the same gun model you are shopping for. Then test that gun in the holster.

People are unreal. The guy should have been reported to the cops. I hope he was asked to leave and not come back.
    OldChap likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Some dumb cop kept sweeping me one day up at Gil Hebbard Guns in Galesburg. I left. He ended up getting fired a couple months later for beating his wife and being a jag off.
    sqlb3rn likes this.

I have the opposite problem at pawn shops... every time I ask to look at a firearm, the pawn broker muzzle sweeps me. Sometimes even while they're checking the chamber is unloaded.

When I need my pistol worked on or looked at in the gun store, if I don't have it in the case I just walk into the store carrying it holstered, holding it around the middle kinda like a rock in a non-shooting-grip way, with the muzzle pointed down at the floor, no magazine, and the slide locked open with the chamber fully visible. I nod at the clerk when I walk in and I'm a regular so they know my face and have dealt with me before. Their notice sign simply says "make sure all weapons are unloaded" or something to that effect.

Once I had to bring in my AR-15 to get help buying and setting up a sling and have the bolt staked. That time I locked the bolt opened and carried it with both hands, shooting hand gripping the buffer tube/stock, no magazine, and pointed at the ceiling. I would not unholster my loaded carry gun in the store... I unload it in the car.

My favorite local gun shop has notices prominently posted at the entrance: (1) Loaded guns must remain holstered. (2) Unloaded guns must be in a case. I don't remember the exact wording, but I like that policy.

Just a thought. With absolutely NO insult intended to my brothers in blue. Trusting that a cop is a gun person and knows the manual of arms on any and every kind of gun is way too dangerous.

I think I have related the stop we made one night with a probationary officer, his FTO, and myself. A gun was discovered (it was an older model S&W semi IIRC). The probie tried to check it. He got the mag out, but couldn't figure out how to clear the chamber. He swept the FTO and me twice and the FTO took it and started the whole procedure again. Exasperated, the FTO turned to me and said, "Chaplain, you're a gun guy, would you make this weapon safe?" I managed to without getting anybody accidentally shot.

To the thread topic...I had a braggart salesman in a gun shop who got to talking about his "magnum like" 45 LC Ruger single action and his "authentic" old west gun rig - neither of which were authentic. In the middle of his lecture he drew the gun and swept it around the shop - sweeping almost everyone there, me included. He actually aimed at a spot (it looked like) between two customers with their backs turned to him and thumbed the hammer like he was about to cock it. I e-mailed the store that afternoon and let the owner know what his employee had done. I never heard back, but the store closed up overnight about two weeks later. I don't know why.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Another sign seen @ Arizona near SedonaAttachment 280031

To OP.

First, I must say that I usually apply different standards to people around me from those I apply to myself. I demand from myself to be in stricter frame, wheras I would give others some slack, but not to myself. Or at least I hope I am like that.

That said, what I say below I would apply to myself if I find myself in your situation. I'm not suggesting you do the same, this is just what I would do.

1. As it turns out, I blew the rules of concealed carry. I had my weapon exposed to view of others when there was no justified reson for it. In some localities that is the law that your weapon can only be visible when you remove it before going into place where you can't/souldn't have it, and sometimes if the wind blows up your cloths and exposes it or similar. Anything else - I violated concealed carry standards I set for myself and have to follow.

2. As a result of 1. I was told to not carry in that place even though there is no such (written or oral) policy, and others will keep carrying, so the policy is different for me now than for everyone else. However, it is my own fault that I did a wrong thing (violated my and every resonable CCW person's standards), therefore I by doing 1. put myself in different category than others as far as CCW at that place is concerned.

The toughest stuff is what would I do. I would find new job or would stop carrying, but my decision about stopping carrying is affected somewhat by the fact that my current job place is one of darn "gun free zones". That is, I'm used to getting pissed every time I enter and see that mental fallacy sign on the door. Were I enjoying CCW at workplace in the past, my decision most likely would be just to find new job, and curse myself for failing that badly that I had to change job place.

I hope, this helps.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunenthusiast View Post
    To OP.

First, I must say that I usually apply different standards to people around me from those I apply to myself. I demand from myself to be in stricter frame, wheras I would give others some slack, but not to myself. Or at least I hope I am like that.

That said, what I say below I would apply to myself if I find myself in your situation. I'm not suggesting you do the same, this is just what I would do.

1. As it turns out, I blew the rules of concealed carry. I had my weapon exposed to view of others when there was no justified reson for it. In some localities that is the law that your weapon can only be visible when you remove it before going into place where you can't/souldn't have it, and sometimes if the wind blows up your cloths and exposes it or similar. Anything else - I violated concealed carry standards I set for myself and have to follow.

2. As a result of 1. I was told to not carry in that place even though there is no such (written or oral) policy, and others will keep carrying, so the policy is different for me now than for everyone else. However, it is my own fault that I did a wrong thing (violated my and every resonable CCW person's standards), therefore I by doing 1. put myself in different category than others as far as CCW at that place is concerned.

The toughest stuff is what would I do. I would find new job or would stop carrying, but my decision about stopping carrying is affected somewhat by the fact that my current job place is one of darn "gun free zones". That is, I'm used to getting pissed every time I enter and see that mental fallacy sign on the door. Were I enjoying CCW at workplace in the past, my decision most likely would be just to find new job, and curse myself for failing that badly that I had to change job place.

I hope, this helps.
    Wrong thread?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links