Carrying legally but not wisely - Page 5

Carrying legally but not wisely

This is a discussion on Carrying legally but not wisely within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Question: no charges brought. Should there be charges for the ND/AD? Based on some of the strong opinions expressed in this thread. I am curious ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree280Likes

Thread: Carrying legally but not wisely

Question: no charges brought. Should there be charges for the ND/AD?

Based on some of the strong opinions expressed in this thread. I am curious as to the answers.
    OldChap and riverrambler like this.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertywheel View Post

Based on some of the strong opinions expressed in this thread. I am curious as to the answers.
    In every case? No. It should be based on what happened, why it happened, and the results. Sometimes crap just happens, a thumb slips when lowering a hammer, etc. It's a very impressive lesson to have a gun discharge unintentionally. I lean toward no harm, no foul, but that is not an absolute.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

In this case a charge for a ND inside an eating and entertainment establishment seems warranted if existing county or city law prohibits discharge of a firearm outside of a firing range. I also wonder if there was any physical damage to the floor, or cleanup, that should be paid for by the idiot.
    Libertywheel and G-man* like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

As @OldVet says, it is highly dependent on the circumstances. I've seen situations in which someone drove a car into a crowded restaurant, and no charges were filed. It would be ludicrous (and in some anti-gun jurisdictions, that would be a very kind description) to put someone in jail over an accident.
    Libertywheel and Fla_dogman like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    It must be hell being perfect when the rest of humanity is not.

You didn't "fix" anything you violated the TOS by altering my post so I suggest you delete it.

The fact is that most of the public is ignorant when it comes to firearms, they didn't grow up with them, they have little or no experience at all with them before getting their carry permit.

It isn't our job to insult them, it is our job to educate and mentor them to become the best trained and most responsible gun owners they can be.

As for your last, you have absolutely no basis in fact for making such a claim. You sure as heck can't speak for what the majority of instructors are teaching.
    I've never claimed to be perfect but I have been blessed with common sense. Common sense tells you that if you have no knowledge of something either don't mess with it or seek out the information you need to handle it safely, it's readily available. That's not an insult, that is advice to live by. Compare that to telling someone that screws up due to willful ignorance that it wasn't their fault, it was an accident. Now that's insulting because sparing feelings isn't educational. This isn't a kid's soccer game.

As far as the most commonly recommended handguns for beginners, I'm not speaking for anyone, it's an observation. Do some reading and some internet searches and you'll quickly find that the vast majority of "experts" are recommending high capacity striker fired polymer 9mm pistols for beginners. A huge mistake, IMO, but that's what's popular and not many want to be seen as "out of step" with current trends.

You're an instructor, what do you recommend to your students that have zero experience for a first handgun for range use and home protection?
    OD*, G-man* and wizard7mm08 like this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    He can no longer respond, Scott.
    OldVet, 1MoreFord, AzQkr and 4 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    As @OldVet says, it is highly dependent on the circumstances. I've seen situations in which someone drove a car into a crowded restaurant, and no charges were filed. It would be ludicrous (and in some anti-gun jurisdictions, that would be a very kind description) to put someone in jail over an accident.
    Maybe not jailed but certainly substantially fined. If you drive a car into a restaurant or business you shouldn't be driving. I don't buy the AD bull. You have to put your finger on the trigger and pull it to fire a gun. Striker fired, hammer no hammer, safety no safety, single action, double action, SA/DBL action, revolver or semi auto, you made the choice, you have the responsibility to learn and understand your fire arm. Non of them are complex or difficult to understand as far as operation is concerned. If you have doubts, its easy to get training or ask questions. Wouldn't bother me a bit if that idiot had his license to carry revoked, that is the point when mandatory training should be enforced before being allowed to carry again.
    As OV said, depending on the situation. In this situation he should be fined, even made to serve time, in chucky cheese.
    WC145, Frodebro and Libertywheel like this.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by riverrambler View Post
    Maybe not jailed but certainly substantially fined. If you drive a car into a restaurant or business you shouldn't be driving. I don't buy the AD bull. You have to put your finger on the trigger and pull it to fire a gun. Striker fired, hammer no hammer, safety no safety, single action, double action, SA/DBL action, revolver or semi auto, you made the choice, you have the responsibility to learn and understand your fire arm. Non of them are complex or difficult to understand as far as operation is concerned. If you have doubts, its easy to get training or ask questions. Wouldn't bother me a bit if that idiot had his license to carry revoked, that is the point when mandatory training should be enforced before being allowed to carry again.
    As OV said, depending on the situation. In this situation he should be fined, even made to serve time, in chucky cheese.
    They could make him eat their Pizza.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Quote Originally Posted by MillennialNorth View Post
    I think of this scenario every time I see a gun with a clip attached. I always think "who would clip draw / carry a pistol especially one without a manual safety, jammed in your pants with nothing to cover the trigger?" Even bought a police trade j frame that had one on it. It went bye bye quick. There was a off duty state cop that shot himself in the butt/leg here in Michigan a few years ago at a parade. He was carrying a revolver without a holster in his waistband, according to the statement from his post commander. Somehow when getting out of his car, it went off. Apparently this kind of thing is more common than I'd have ever thought it'd be. Hopefully this guy was there with his kids, of some friends kids. Kind of a weird place for a grown man. Sure hope he learned a good lesson from this.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    I think the same when someone refers to a magazine as a clip. They shouldn't have a gun let alone carry it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by steelhauler34 View Post
    I think the same when someone refers to a magazine as a clip. They shouldn't have a gun let alone carry it.

This is what I think of THAT,

Otherwise, every time someone mentions their 1911, they shouldn't have a gun or carry one either, when it's actually a 1911a1

Quote Originally Posted by riverrambler View Post
    Use the correct terminology, it's an ND, not an AD. An AD is a mechanical failure and is quite rare nor involves human error.

I find it hard to take comments seriously from someone who can't distinguish between the two.
    WC145 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by steelhauler34 View Post

I think people who say people shouldn't have a gun shouldn't have a gun either.

The Curmudgeon has spoken.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Use the correct terminology, it's an ND, not an AD. An AD is a mechanical failure and is quite rare nor involves human error.

I find it hard to take comments seriously from someone who can't distinguish between the two.
    That's kind of my point, people calling a negligent discharge an accidental discharge.
    AzQkr and WC145 like this.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think people who say people shouldn't have a gun shouldn't have a gun either.

The Curmudgeon has spoken.
    You could be right. All kinds of people own guns that have no business doing so. Heck some even go as far as joining a gun club. Here are some pics of some posts at the end of our 10 m range. Now this is blatant evidence that these DA's have no business owning a gun. Scary thing is they may be on the line the same time I am.

Well, we can't all be one-hole wonders. Looks like they're working diligently on that "well regulated" part of 2A.
    Libertywheel likes this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links