DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

My Lost/Stolen handgun tale

Thread: My Lost/Stolen handgun tale

Tags:

ShooterGranny said:
    The two guns in your wife's purse reminded me of the time my father accompanied me on a visit to my son's house - a full state and a half away.

As usual, when going to visit said son, I stopped at the military base on the way to get some things from the commissary. I took my gun off of my waist and reached down to put it under the floor mat (which was a little lumpy) and THERE WAS ONE OF GRAMP'S GUNS that he had forgotten to take out of the car the last time he drove it. Oh crap! Now I have "an arsenal" in my car on a military base! (Note: official news writers' definition of an arsenal is more than one gun.)

Got back out without any incident, but I was pretty uptight for a while. That was many years before 9/11.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

PhaedrusIV said:
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    The two guns in your wife's purse reminded me of the time my father accompanied me on a visit to my son's house - a full state and a half away.

As usual, when going to visit said son, I stopped at the military base on the way to get some things from the commissary. I took my gun off of my waist and reached down to put it under the floor mat (which was a little lumpy) and THERE WAS ONE OF GRAMP'S GUNS that he had forgotten to take out of the car the last time he drove it. Oh crap! Now I have "an arsenal" in my car on a military base! (Note: official news writers' definition of an arsenal is more than one gun.)

Got back out without any incident, but I was pretty uptight for a while. That was many years before 9/11.
    ShooterGranny, you get an A+ just for "pushing that ol' envelope." You ROCK !!!
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

TheRecluse said:
    beebee,

While I can sympathize with your anxiety over this issue, in the future, you may want to rethink what you post on the interwebs. This is NY after all and it takes only one district attorney who wants to make a name for himself....

As for state lands and legal carry, Dept. of Eviornmental Conservation lands allow you to carry and target shoot unless posted. District 8 has some wide open spaces.

Fizban said:
    Brother.. it sounds like carrying a firearm has become a little too casual for you. The good news is that its an easy fix
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

raytracer said:
    Sheriff deputy was dispatched, and at my home within 15 minutes... Made me take out every pistol I own and examined them all and checked and recorded every serial #..
    Does anyone else find this as disturbing as I do?

Fizban said:
    Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    I found that highly strange but I left it alone
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Yogi223 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post

Yeah, true enough I live in another country but that ain't happening.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Libertywheel said:
    Wow. Glad you found it.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

since9 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Yes I did check NY laws after reading your response.. its a felony...
    Shame NY laws make it a felony when the federal law itself gives states the out as does Colorado and many others.

It just never occurred to me.. I was on the way to my grandson's wrestling tourney, thought about my in pocket Sig, thought "oops, can't go into a school with this", and stuck it under the seat, long before I got anywhere near the school parking lot... never thought I was committing a crime on the same level in the state's eyes as grand theft or assault with a deadly weapon.

I appreciate the officer explaining in a well mannered and non threatening way that I needed to be aware of such things in this state..
    we also always carry when camping here in NY, but again, its a felony to carry in a state park, anywhere in the state, bears, coyotes and potential homicidal lunatics not withstanding, so we'll have to reconsider where we camp from now on.... bob
    Sounds like a very understanding LEO.

Do the bears, coyotes, and potential homicidal lunatics not understand that the law says they can't go where you can't legally carry?
    I CC'd for 20 years. Then I OC'd for 10 years. These days, it's about 90% CC, 10% OC. // As a Virginia Tech Alum, I say that tragedy was avoidable. Too bad the school's administration didn't learn from their mistakes.

since9 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Yes I did check NY laws after reading your response.. its a felony...
    It just never occurred to me.. I was on the way to my grandson's wrestling tourney, thought about my in pocket Sig, thought "oops, can't go into a school with this", and stuck it under the seat, long before I got anywhere near the school parking lot... never thought I was committing a crime on the same level in the state's eyes as grand theft or assault with a deadly weapon.

I appreciate the officer explaining in a well mannered and non threatening way that I needed to be aware of such things in this state..
    we also always carry when camping here in NY, but again, its a felony to carry in a state park, anywhere in the state, bears, coyotes and potential homicidal lunatics not withstanding, so we'll have to reconsider where we camp from now on.... bob
    This popped up a couple of days ago. If passed, you and other New Yorkers might find it helpful. :)

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2019...ourt-challenge
    I CC'd for 20 years. Then I OC'd for 10 years. These days, it's about 90% CC, 10% OC. // As a Virginia Tech Alum, I say that tragedy was avoidable. Too bad the school's administration didn't learn from their mistakes.

Zsnake said:
    Many, many years ago, I went for a M/C ride and put a S&W 9mm in my jacket pocket....Yeah, yeah, I KNOW!

Got home and it was gone.

Walked my route for a couple of miles and did not see it.

Called Sheriff's office. "Can you describe it?"..."Yeah, has a discoloration on bbl from cough syrup spilling on it on my nightstand."

Come and get it.....Someone turned it in.

BIG sigh of relief....all I could do was imagine one of the road-gang members finding it! Or worse.

'Course, now I have a great reminder of proper carry, and do.

JakeCT said:
    Connecticut is working on a bill that will require handguns left in an unattended vehicles be in a locked vault. No details as to what constitutes a vault or if it has to be secured to the vehicle; center consoles and glove boxes do not count. Once passed, the Governor will sign the bill into law. Failure to comply with the law will be a felony.

The same group of idiots at the capital defeated a proposal to require mandatory sentencing for theft of a firearm.

forester58 said:
    My biggest take away from this story is I am glad the gestapo has not made it to Montana yet. No way some LEO is going through my guns and taking notes.

Holster said:
    Glad it all worked out, but your post reads like a good reminder of why I never want to live in New York.

RedSafety said:
    New York, a Constitution-free state.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!