Got to shoot my new Christmas gun this weekend, 1911-380

Got to shoot my new Christmas gun this weekend, 1911-380

This is a discussion on Got to shoot my new Christmas gun this weekend, 1911-380 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got out to shoot this weekend. Out of the box I has a few failures of the slide to return all of the way ...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 11 Post By Hasaf
  • 2 Post By Hasaf
  • 5 Post By HotBrass45
  • 3 Post By OldVet

Thread: Got to shoot my new Christmas gun this weekend, 1911-380

Cool Got to shoot my new Christmas gun this weekend, 1911-380

I got out to shoot this weekend. Out of the box I has a few failures of the slide to return all of the way forward (yes, I always try "out of the box" unless it will obviously be dangerous). Once I cleaned and lubed it I had no troubles for slightly over a hundred rounds.

I only had "fun" targets available. I haven't tried it on paper yet; so I really can not comment on accuracy. I also only shot the compact slide, I haven't tried the full length slide yet.

As far as holsters, I found that Outlaw Holsters makes an OWB in Kydex that fits. I am going to take some time to get used to a holster without active retention.

I am still wearing my Kimber for a defensive pistol, I need to get a couple hundred more rounds through the Browning before I am going to trust it enough to carry. That has nothing to do with the Browning, it is just me and any pistol.

I wasn't sure if I wanted the compact or the full size. So, I hedged my bets by getting the compact and an extra barrel and slide assembly. My intent for the extra slide is to mill it for a red dot of some sort.

That's a handsome little shooter, Hasaf, congratulations. You must have been a very good boy this year!

Nothing nicer than a mini 1911-looks great.
    THE CROW

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

To add a bit, it was, kind of, free.

You all get the emails from USCCA, the concealed carry insurance people. They all say to enter their drawing. I entered the drawing and I won.

Frankly, I first thought it was a scam, but the phone number in the "you have won" message was legitimate, and at this point I have already received the cheque. Having it happen right near Christmas was great, particularly for my wife, at that point she didn't need to do the great "what does he want" search.

I had already purchased my wife's M&P .22, which she had asked for, for Christmas. The cheque from USCAA turned into: the Browning 1911-380 that you saw, an extra barrel and slide from e-bay ($81), a Remington R51 (it is just different), a CZ-455 in .22lr, and a Ruger 77/44 that is on order. The rest went into an account to pay the taxes on this stuff.

Remington R51

After cleaning it, it shot great, there was a bit of slide bite; but I was very happy with it. I now have a 9mm other than my old Hi-Power. The only reason that I can see this one not becoming a favorite is that I like the 380 cartridge better. I reload both, I just like shooting 380 better.

CZ 455, .22lr

The only reason that I haven't shot this one yet is that I accidentally left the scope and rings, that I have already purchased, in my apartment in the town I work in (Leupold 4x rimfire scope and tally rings). By the time I remembered, I was several hundred miles down the road.

In all, it was a good Christmas surprise.
    HotBrass45 and ShooterGranny like this.

#winning across the board. Well done.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

I bought my membership for the insurance.
    I usually ignore their emails to enter contests. Maybe that will change.

Got to shoot my new Christmas gun this weekend, 1911-380-award.jpg
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

Some people have all the luck... Yours was good, mine never is.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Congratulations!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

VIP Member
    WOW - what a stupendous prize to win and be able to have THAT MUCH FUN with! Good choices all around. I hope your wife enjoys her M&P .22 as much as I do my M&P .22 compact. It is a super fun gun to shoot in every way. It also shares holsters with my Shield EZ and that is nice.

That rifle is SO beautiful! I do love wood stocks.

Glad you found a holster you like for that Browning.

I got the Browning 1911-22 - because I already have enough .380's and wanted another .22. Holsters are identical for both calibers. When new, my gun shot WAY high and to the right. Gramps, with great difficulty, was able to move the rear slide way to the left to get the shots centered, but the gun still had to go back to Browning because the front sight is not adjustable or replaceable by the owner. They "recalibrated the barrel" whatever that means, and the gun is now shooting on target (if aimed properly). The slide does not always lock back when the magazine is empty, but that is relatively minor. It is also not ammo related because sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't no matter what ammo I'm using.

Those Browning 85% size 1911's are really good looking guns, in any of the many "flavors" they come in. The big problem I have is that the grips are too skinny and I can't get a really good two handed grip even with having put shims under the grip panels on both sides. I could have custom fatter grips made from wood, for over $100 but not going to do that. And almost no after market support other than some holsters, none of which I can use.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Sponsored Links