Not Today - Page 2

Not Today

This is a discussion on Not Today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey folks - I certainly don't feel any angst towards me from anyone (I don't usually get to worked up on forums), but after seeing ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Not Today

Hey folks - I certainly don't feel any angst towards me from anyone (I don't usually get to worked up on forums), but after seeing some of the responses my post may not have been well thought out. Certainly wouldn't want to stir any issues with anyone or cross a line.

I do believe that every angle of CC is being looked at by others for good and for bad. I also think it's important to be able to sensibly and reasonably talk about the issues...certainly not all of it is forum appropriate.

I apologize if I got to close to the edge.
    Mike1956 and OldChap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ParsonBrown View Post
    Thought crossed my mind the other day. Have you ever got up one morning and decided that today was not a good day for you to carry? Maybe you recognized your attitude was not right or your head was just not screwed on straight to do it the right way on that day. I'm not talking about being lazy or new and not comfortable yet for some reason.

I have not experienced anything like that, and I don't foresee it ever happening, but I hope to be honest enough with myself if - God forbid - something like that ever happened. I'm certainly not talking about getting up with a plan to harm someone...just basically waking up and realizing today is not a good day for it.

I have had to have some chats with people recently about mental health, and maybe that is what sparked the thought in my head. I do think it is important and perhaps not talked about enough in the CCW community...we talk about staying ready and having situational awareness of what is going on around us, but what about what is going inside of us?
    Sure...

Several times a year; but not because of mental health.

Get these killer migraines 4 to 5 times a year that seriously affect my vision so I don't carry on those days...

Admittedly I probably shouldn't even be driving on those days either, but the Imitrex works good enough to get me by.

TSKnight likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    Hey folks - I certainly don't feel any angst towards me from anyone (I don't usually get to worked up on forums), but after seeing some of the responses my post may not have been well thought out. Certainly wouldn't want to stir any issues with anyone or cross a line.

I do believe that every angle of CC is being looked at by others for good and for bad. I also think it's important to be able to sensibly and reasonably talk about the issues...certainly not all of it is forum appropriate.

I apologize if I got to close to the edge.
    No angst. If we stick to physical limitations and away from mental health issues, this could make for a great thread.

I had to carry left handed for a week or so awhile ago due to an injured right hand. If I didn't have left-handed options available, I would not have carried at all.
    ParsonBrown, 71yancy and kerberos like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Be it emotional, mental health, medications, or whatever. Any time your judgment might be impaired would be a good time to not carry and also restrict your activities accordingly.

As some has said in a lot more words, yeap "Catch 22".

Have you ever got up one morning and decided that today was not a good day for you to carry?

Spotsticker, OldChap and Grizzly2 like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    No angst. If we stick to physical limitations and away from mental health issues, this could make for a great thread.

I had to carry left handed for a week or so awhile ago due to an injured right hand. If I didn't have left-handed options available, I would not have carried at all.
    I edited my original post to focus on the physical side of things. You can now tell that story about the time hemorrhoids kept you from carrying... :D
    TSKnight likes this.

VIP Member
    I have never felt the urge to share what is going on inside of me with any internet forum, much less post something someone might construe as needing an intervention.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR
    GOA
    TFA-LAC
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Nope. I had the flu last year, it came with a 103.7 temp. It was the worst I have ever felt in my life. I barely had the energy to get out of bed. When I went to the Dr that day I still carried.

Another example. My wife had a double lung transplant on 8/18/17. We had to go to physical rehab for her 5 days a week. The place was 1 mile down the road and I couldn't carry in the place. My wife was wore out after and we went straight back to the apartment so she could rest. I still carried and left my gun in the car during rehab then put it back on as soon as we got to the car.

With both of these examples it would have been much easier to just not carry but I still did. You never know when you are going to need it and Murphy likes to show up at the worst times.

VIP Member
    My Class of 1974 Facebook page is currently doing a gut-bucket why-were-you-all-bullies?, confession session in preparation of our upcoming August reunion. Forty-five years later, and they are still a bunch of me too whiners.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post

Physical limitations it is and a good idea. What hit me is nobody's business and not something I wish to discuss. But after thinking about it, one of you on here might have it hit you out of the clear blue sky and it's important to recognize it because most doctors might not so I'm passing it on for your knowledge. It can hit at any age.

Four months ago I woke up in the morning and was dizzy. Not vertigo with the room spinning but light headed and dizzy which lasted all day. The next morning it was far worse. So bad it was causing loss of balance and the ability to walk straight. We went to an Urgent Care a little after 8:00 am and the Dr. said to go immediately to the hospital emergency.

Every test was taken. Blood samples, X-rays, Cat Scan, MRI, you name it. They thought it might be a stroke. I was admitted and hooked up to all kinds of devices in bed. The next day I was still the same way but they discharged me $29,300 later. They told me all tests were negative but not what was wrong. I set an appt. with my Internal Medicine Doc and he had no clue but suggested an ENT. A month after this all started I finally could get an appt. with a supposed super duper ENT. I was still dizzy with impaired balance.

Within 15 minutes he took some physical tests and gave a diagnosis. Labyrinthitis and vestibular neuritis. What is that? Either a viral infection or bacterial infection in the inner ear behind the ear drum where balance is controlled. I had the viral one. On the way out of the office my chiropractor was there with her son who is a freshman in high school who had the bacterial type which required surgery to get it out because another moron ENT didn't diagnose it and it grew out of control.

Mine lasted for 3 months but got better little by little with vision and special balance exercises. No drugs at all. I had no desire to carry a gun nor did I. But then again I didn't leave the house very often. All of our mothers might have been right...I could have shot my eye out.

Who knew this even exists? Not even a cadre of doctors in the hospital gave it consideration. Hope you NEVER get it but remember this in case the symptoms ever hit. But don't think it is when it in fact could be a stroke. All I can say is it's terrifying. A good thing I found out after all the tests is my vitals are great and in super health.

I carry when I choose to. Mental state has nothing to do with it.
    OldChap likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Ever have a day at work were everything goes wrong? You just want to leave work early and drive home very carefully? Then just sit in a recliner and hope no one rings the bell? Even hope the wife doesn't serve hot soup that you might drop in your lap? Is that what's bothering you bunky?

LimaCharlie and OldChap like this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

They wouldn't let me carry when I was in the hospital for quadruple bypass surgery. There I was nude on the bed with two nurses prepping me for surgery, two women shaving me from neck to knee, and my wife watching. I felt very vulnerable.
    Bikenut, Grizzly2 and msgt/ret like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I can relate LimaCharlie. A female nurse was shaving my crotch in preparation for a heart cath and I responded in a rather upright manner. The nurse didn't skip a beat but the wife was less than pleased.

I wasn't carrying a weapon that day.
    Last edited by Bikenut; January 18th, 2019 at 03:06 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links