Not Today - Page 3

Not Today

This is a discussion on Not Today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lima been there and got the scar. Scarry as hell. I did not carry while in the hospital or in my recliner after getting home. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Not Today

Distinguished Member Array BkCo1's Avatar
    Lima been there and got the scar. Scarry as hell. I did not carry while in the hospital or in my recliner after getting home. Just breathing hurt.
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

This thread kinda hit home. I spent most of 2016 getting chemo and radiation for lung cancer. Its in remission so I am still here to tell my story.
    There is a part of cancer treatment no one told me about. Its called "chemo fog". There were days that I had no problems but there were days when I couldn't think of a certain word or phrase I wanted to use much less make good or lifesaving decisions. During one of the good days I told my wife I was not going to carry anymore until this completely went away. She has her CHL but usually depended on me. She started carrying full time and all was good.

Some time in mid 2017 we both felt I was not having any problems and put my gun back on full time. I am so blessed that first I am in remission secondly had real good insurance (not obamma care)and third a wife who took charge and kept us safe.

Now for the soap box speech...3-4 packs a day since 1974 meant I was going to die! For whatever reason God decided I could stick around. I would get pissed when ever someone gave me "the speech". If you smoke please do whatever to kick it. The going price is around 7.00 a pack which is 147.00 per week. Do you know how many Colt Pythons and Perrazzi shot guns I could have bought instead of smokes! It isn't worth the pain to yourself or those you care about. Rant over.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If I ever have enough concern about my mental health/state of mind to question my fitness to carry guns, I for sure will not be posting about it on an internet forum. Hopefully, my fellow members here are of similar attitudes.
    Spot on. NUFF said...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

And Shepards we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, So that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,
    And we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be,

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Mental Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ParsonBrown View Post
    EDIT: I'm not going to change what I originally posted, but it is probably best if we keep this post about physical limitations and not so much the mental. The forum is not the best place to discuss that issue. With that said...if your runny nose, jock itch, or hang nail etc has prohibited you from carrying let's talk about it .

Original post: Thought crossed my mind the other day. Have you ever got up one morning and decided that today was not a good day for you to carry? Maybe you recognized your attitude was not right or your head was just not screwed on straight to do it the right way on that day. I'm not talking about being lazy or new and not comfortable yet for some reason.

I have not experienced anything like that, and I don't foresee it ever happening, but I hope to be honest enough with myself if - God forbid - something like that ever happened. I'm certainly not talking about getting up with a plan to harm someone...just basically waking up and realizing today is not a good day for it.

I have had to have some chats with people recently about mental health, and maybe that is what sparked the thought in my head. I do think it is important and perhaps not talked about enough in the CCW community...we talk about staying ready and having situational awareness of what is going on around us, but what about what is going inside of us?
    I don't think there is anyone who has every day wine and roses BUT IF your going to make a commitment of carrying a firearm you know when your having a bad day and you deal with it BUT if your having more bad than good PLEASE GET HELP because it isn't just yourself your hurting its the people around you also that loves you .
    msgt/ret and ParsonBrown like this.

Sometimes, it takes understanding awhile to catch up with reality. Add to that sense of irony the reality of things staying on the internet for as long as there is an internet. How many people have already lost jobs, status and credibility for something they posted years ago?
    How would the authorities find our real names vs. screen names to follow up on something from this forum unless it was posted at some time? What obligation does Admin have to reveal it unless a member was harassing another member through PM's and threatening to harm or kill them?

You can go to just about any and every forum on the internet regardless of the subject matter and see some nutty stuff going on between participants. Sometimes quite hostile. It's just the nature of the beast.

A number of years ago I went on a radar detector and laser jammer forum to find info for the top of the line best products to avoid speeding tickets. Members sometimes got so argumentative and hostile over which was better and more effective that all h*ll broke loose with an occasional ban. It was like, WHAT? Are you kidding me?

But then again it happens here with ammo caliber, capacity, and different guns...semi-auto vs. revolver vs. manufacturer.

Join a forum, any forum, and eventually everyone becomes nutty at some point.

I've never had it happen with a firearm, but several times as I've opened my hangar door to pull my plane out, I've had the thought, "This isn't a good day for it". On the rare occasions that happens, I close the hangar and go back home.
    ParsonBrown likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    I've never had it happen with a firearm, but several times as I've opened my hangar door to pull my plane out, I've had the thought, "This isn't a good day for it". On the rare occasions that happens, I close the hangar and go back home.
    We've all been there.

My daughter suffers from cerebral palsy. After she was born, my wife and I did not have one single uninterrupted night's sleep...for 2 1/2 years. She would cry, scream, vomit, several times per night. It was hell. How neither of us crashed our cars into something, I'll never know...other than God watching over us.

During that time, there were several instances when I had made plans to go to the range, and I knew I had to cancel them. I was just too tired to be safe at the range. I never stopped carrying, but I was keenly aware that I wasn't at my best.
    ParsonBrown likes this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

There's only been a couple days where I haven't carried. Once was from right after work until the evening the next day. Left work and went straight to the ER for chest pain. I'm 48, not 108.
    But grandpa dying at 49 of a heart attack worries the docs. Wound up spending all night there, with a heart cath the next day. Then 8 hours of having to lay down, the first 2 perfectly flat... not a good day. ( by the way, I had to figure out what was wrong, which was muscle spasms in my chest wall. The docs couldn't figure out what the issue was). Then there was a morning when I woke up and couldn't stand up straight. Luckily, we had a spare cane, which I had earlier adjusted for me, from the first couple of days after the heart catheter. You've seen those comic routines in tv shows where they "threw out their back" amd couldn't stand up straight? Yeah.... that was me. Me, at 6'3", and with a properly adjusted cane, I could set both hands flat on the handle, and only lower myself an inch to rest my chest on it. A couple days of tylenol, and some topical muscle relaxer (tiger balm), got me back to 100%. Other than that, I dont let anything keep me from carrying, if at all possible.
    ParsonBrown likes this.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 71yancy View Post
    How would the authorities find our real names vs. screen names to follow up on something from this forum unless it was posted at some time? What obligation does Admin have to reveal it unless a member was harassing another member through PM's and threatening to harm or kill them?

You can go to just about any and every forum on the internet regardless of the subject matter and see some nutty stuff going on between participants. Sometimes quite hostile. It's just the nature of the beast.

A number of years ago I went on a radar detector and laser jammer forum to find info for the top of the line best products to avoid speeding tickets. Members sometimes got so argumentative and hostile over which was better and more effective that all h*ll broke loose with an occasional ban. It was like, WHAT? Are you kidding me?

But then again it happens here with ammo caliber, capacity, and different guns...semi-auto vs. revolver vs. manufacturer.

Join a forum, any forum, and eventually everyone becomes nutty at some point.
    Like I said, posts never go away. If authorities were to seize this computer with its 157 stored passwords, every post I have ever made anywhere becomes accessible.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Like I said, posts never go away. If authorities were to seize this computer with its 157 stored passwords, every post I have ever made anywhere becomes accessible.
    They do not need your computer, all they need is your IP which the forum records, they will find your ISP then the address to where it goes. Its really not that hard...
    flintlock62 and Bad Bob like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

And Shepards we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, So that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,
    And we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be,

To Mike and Harryball: You guys made valid posts that I didn't consider mainly because if the authorities came in to somebody's home and confiscated their computer or to the forum with a search warrant to ferret out a couple of individual IP addresses, it would probably mean the individual committed or threatened a heinous crime to another individual or group or a crime affecting national security like a public bombing.

If someone posted about having a mental problem on a gun forum, then they really do have a mental problem.

Flame wars? Happens every day on every forum that exists. Good moderators can fix that. Delete the posts/threads completely and ban the repeated psycho offenders.

One forum I know about which was an early Google group with no moderators started in 1987 had a guy join with a split personality. He was very intelligent and had good information for the group. But heaven help the poor soul who disagreed with him. It would result in a flame war attack that was unparalleled in any forum.

Eventually another member who the psycho belittled daily showed up at a national Expo where this guy was going to be and jacked his jaw so hard that it knocked him over a folding table onto his back. The physical fight ended there but then continued worse than ever on the forum. The psycho created around 100 phony aliases to blast the guy who hit him as well as anyone who dared stand up for the other guy.

I don't think he ever slept. Eventually everyone left and he brought the entire forum down. Is the history of all that happened still on the internet? YEP! You're absolutely right, Mike. It stays forever.

But no police or FBI came to get his computer. They didn't need to because it was all right there in the forum and everyone knew what his real name was! So what was the end result? The psycho ended up overdosing on a fistful of prescription drugs and committed suicide. End of story.

What forum category was it that could have produced this type of mayhem and insanity? Pool and billiards.
    Mike1956 and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 71yancy View Post
    To Mike and Harryball: You guys made valid posts that I didn't consider mainly because if the authorities came in to somebody's home and confiscated their computer or to the forum with a search warrant to ferret out a couple of individual IP addresses, it would probably mean the individual committed or threatened a heinous crime to another individual or group or a crime affecting national security like a public bombing.

If someone posted about having a mental problem on a gun forum, then they really do have a mental problem.

Flame wars? Happens every day on every forum that exists. Good moderators can fix that. Delete the posts/threads completely and ban the repeated psycho offenders.

One forum I know about which was an early Google group with no moderators started in 1987 had a guy join with a split personality. He was very intelligent and had good information for the group. But heaven help the poor soul who disagreed with him. It would result in a flame war attack that was unparalleled in any forum.

Eventually another member who the psycho belittled daily showed up at a national Expo where this guy was going to be and jacked his jaw so hard that it knocked him over a folding table onto his back. The physical fight ended there but then continued worse than ever on the forum. The psycho created around 100 phony aliases to blast the guy who hit him as well as anyone who dared stand up for the other guy.

I don't think he ever slept. Eventually everyone left and he brought the entire forum down. Is the history of all that happened still on the internet? YEP! You're absolutely right, Mike. It stays forever.

But no police or FBI came to get his computer. They didn't need to because it was all right there in the forum and everyone knew what his real name was! So what was the end result? The psycho ended up overdosing on a fistful of prescription drugs and committed suicide. End of story.

What forum category was it that could have produced this type of mayhem and insanity? Pool and billiards.
    Think red flag laws and extreme protection orders. One needn't actually commit wrong, but merely have it alleged that wrongdoing might be a possibility.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Have you ever got up one morning and decided that today was not a good day for you to carry?
    Never.
    Frodebro likes this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post

Nothing like flying a plane, but there have many times over the years with weightlifting (powerlifting) where I approached the bar to attempt a lift and knew that today was the day. I would guess you feel the same way (on a higher level for sure)...I don't consider it a weakness, but rather pretty smart since I consider it good thing I make it through without an injury that could cripple me for life. Before I got over my ego I was bummed out about it...today I have no shame in saying today is not the day.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links