Different calibers for different situations? - Page 8

Different calibers for different situations?

This is a discussion on Different calibers for different situations? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SatCong Why stop, you can shoot a 454 Casul and when you want to step it up and go with a 460 ...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: Different calibers for different situations?

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Why stop, you can shoot a 454 Casul and when you want to step it up and go with a 460 S&W.
    I've never fired nor have I ever been around a .454 Casull when it has been fired, as far as I can remember. I have been on a range when someone had an SSK hand cannon (single shot breach loader) in .338 Winchester as I recall. That was something to see... and hear (thank God for ear protection).
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Question: When we talk about the term "bear defense", are we talkng about taking one down and dead with 1-2 shots? Or are we talking about hitting it with enough rounds that it goes away and doesn't bother us anymore, whether it dies or not?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Bad Bob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seeker_two View Post
    Question: When we talk about the term "bear defense", are we talkng about taking one down and dead with 1-2 shots? Or are we talking about hitting it with enough rounds that it goes away and doesn't bother us anymore, whether it dies or not?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Let's put it this way. Shot placement. There are numerous one shot takedowns with 357 mag. However, a poor shot with a 50 BMG and the critter can walk away.
    Bad Bob and SatCong like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I wish I had bought a 40 High Power when it was available. Hindsight is 20-20.
    Where people call the .40 "snappy" I found in the High Power it was a pleasure to shoot. (I've actually got both .357Sig and 9mm barrels for it)

Quote Originally Posted by jrwhitt View Post
    Where people call the .40 "snappy" I found in the High Power it was a pleasure to shoot. (I've actually got both .357Sig and 9mm barrels for it)
    My P226 Extreme in 40 is a pleasure to shoot. I bought a
    357 Sig barrel and reloading dies for it. Like it for the accuracy!
    jrwhitt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    From what I understand, the 5.56mm, and .223, are used fairly commonly in Texas for deer, hogs, and javelina. Those calibers are not legal in Virginia for big game.
    Yup pretty common in some areas, banned in others. Mostly from ignorance and outdated perceptions. There are some states that have a minimum kinetic energy threshold...weird.

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BackpackHunter View Post
    If you look up the number of life threatening encounters with grizzlies/brown bear where the person is armed with a pistol you will see that the success rate for 9mm is 100%....it is for a few different calibers as well.
    Granted I personally have never had to shoot a grizzly/brown bear, but have on many occasions taken black bear with no problems.
    The numbers are in direct opposition to your anecdotal experiences.

Esse quam videri

Good luck to ya......
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Who was it that said, " I wasn't planning on going for a run today.....then the Game Wardens came out of nowhere".

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    I just finished reading through the whole thread and all of that back and forth over what to carry or shoot in bear or hog country gave me a damn headache!
    forester58, Bad Bob and Eric357 like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Gunnie or available loads for the 40sw but a 180gr 357sig at 1050 from a 4.5" barrel; . Maybe a test barrel . I chronograph some of there 357mag and 44mag in the past and they most use a test barrel as sure not close to advertised velocity and those were from a tight gapped 8" DW revolver too . Oh our sheriffs department carry glocks in 357sig . They have to dispatch the deer the occasional black bear and after calling one officers I know well , sold him a house , he said he will no longer use his pistol to finish a deer or bear and pulls out a slug gun . There was a time they carried 40sw with a few carrying 45acp and no issues back then finishing game guickly . They have tried that 180 DT load back around 2012 just so they would know how it worked if they found a need for a heavier penetrating load and had enough fast fire feed issues to stop testing it ! And life goes on .

bad bod an flintlock you have your opinion and I have mine . Just don't assume the 357sig as all that specially with the lite bullets . There's far better cartridge choices than 357sig for "woods walks " . but then I've carried and loaded a 40sw since '90 .

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    I just finished reading through the whole thread and all of that back and forth over what to carry or shoot in bear or hog country gave me a damn headache!

Try a nap...worked for me!!!
    Militant likes this.

I carry my 649 more often in the winter months. Even with the 2 1/4" barrel the .357 mag Speer GD have a pretty good pop,might give me little more penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    Good luck to ya......
    Thank you, and to you as well. I will once again be hunting in AK, MT, and WY so hopefully they don't have it in for me.

Yes Sir, me too.
    Militant likes this.

Ex Member
    I just read the title, then came to the last page. I'm guessing I didn't miss much.
    Militant and Tstone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Gunnie or available loads for the 40sw but a 180gr 357sig at 1050 from a 4.5" barrel; . Maybe a test barrel . I chronograph some of there 357mag and 44mag in the past and they most use a test barrel as sure not close to advertised velocity and those were from a tight gapped 8" DW revolver too . Oh our sheriffs department carry glocks in 357sig . They have to dispatch the deer the occasional black bear and after calling one officers I know well , sold him a house , he said he will no longer use his pistol to finish a deer or bear and pulls out a slug gun . There was a time they carried 40sw with a few carrying 45acp and no issues back then finishing game guickly . They have tried that 180 DT load back around 2012 just so they would know how it worked if they found a need for a heavier penetrating load and had enough fast fire feed issues to stop testing it ! And life goes on .

bad bod an flintlock you have your opinion and I have mine . Just don't assume the 357sig as all that specially with the lite bullets . There's far better cartridge choices than 357sig for "woods walks " . but then I've carried and loaded a 40sw since '90 .
    I never said that the same ammo you used for SD was suitable for when you are on the menu. I never said the 357 Sig was the best for that either. The OP is in southern Ill........BIG difference from being where humans are on the menu.

For what its worth my 357 Sig carry load is Underwood's 115 grn JHP @ 1600 fps. It is not for woods carry. For "woods" carry I carry a a 44 magnum with heavy hardcast.
    LimaCharlie, SatCong and Aceoky like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links