Different calibers for different situations? - Page 9

Different calibers for different situations?

This is a discussion on Different calibers for different situations? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by seeker_two Question: When we talk about the term "bear defense", are we talkng about taking one down and dead with 1-2 shots? ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: Different calibers for different situations?

Quote Originally Posted by seeker_two View Post
    Question: When we talk about the term "bear defense", are we talkng about taking one down and dead with 1-2 shots? Or are we talking about hitting it with enough rounds that it goes away and doesn't bother us anymore, whether it dies or not?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    IF you're going to shoot a bear, don't think wounding it is "an answer" a wounded bear (and many other dangerous big game) is NO JOKE.....FWIW
    SFury, flintlock62, OD* and 1 others like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    I love and shoot my HK 45c and USP Compact 45's better than my 9mm's; so I mostly carry them. However, depending on how I'm feeling or what I have going on, I may switch up and carry a 9mm for capacity sake (i.e. movies etc.).
    Tstone and OD* like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Quote Originally Posted by BackpackHunter View Post
    Yup pretty common in some areas, banned in others. Mostly from ignorance and outdated perceptions. There are some states that have a minimum kinetic energy threshold...weird.
    We have that here, at least when I was hunting which ended over 33 years ago. The minimum caliber was .23 and the minimum muzzle energy for handguns was 350 ft/lbs for big game.
    BackpackHunter likes this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I know there is a lot of talk about bears in this thread. I do not mean to sound negative so please don't take it that way. But being a fellow Illinoisan I don't think the OP has to worry to much about bears. To the best of my knowledge the only place we currently have bears is up around Rockford. With that said we have always done a lot of hiking and other outdoor stuff. I would be more concerned about a pack of wild dogs or coyotes. I know it seems coyotes sounds funny as a concerned but through the years there seems to be more cases of them losing their fear of people. While I currently carry .40 I would have no issues carrying 9mm or 45 woods walking or mall shopping.
    I like the .40 .

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    IF you're going to shoot a bear, don't think wounding it is "an answer" a wounded bear (and many other dangerous big game) is NO JOKE.....FWIW
    I'm thinking more like the bear (or other animal) concludes that coming close to me hurts a lot so it goes away to somewhere else. As long as it leaves me alone, I don't care where it crawls off to die.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    I know there is a lot of talk about bears in this thread. I do not mean to sound negative so please don't take it that way. But being a fellow Illinoisan I don't think the OP has to worry to much about bears. To the best of my knowledge the only place we currently have bears is up around Rockford. With that said we have always done a lot of hiking and other outdoor stuff. I would be more concerned about a pack of wild dogs or coyotes. I know it seems coyotes sounds funny as a concerned but through the years there seems to be more cases of them losing their fear of people. While I currently carry .40 I would have no issues carrying 9mm or 45 woods walking or mall shopping.
    They have lost the total fear of humans in many places. They live around people and are thriving because we kill off their competition. It's not uncommon for many larger cities to issue coyote warnings in Wisconsin. A few years ago they brought in "snipers" here to eradicate the pack living in my town. Basically they were hunters using .223s or 22-250s who could make clean and safe shots. They killed off the pack, and no warnings or sightings of coyotes have been had in the central park/forested area. Nor have I seen any coyote sign in my own yard since then.

They had been eating the local dogs, and seeing as I had two then (down to one because of old age) they would check my yard and the yards of my neighbors who also have dogs at night. Vicious little guerilla fighters. Being worried about them does make sense.
    Eric357, msgt/ret, Aceoky and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar

Ok guys.....get out your 9's......here mousey, mousey, mousey !!!!!
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Who was it that said, " I wasn't planning on going for a run today.....then the Game Wardens came out of nowhere".

Video not available
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post

Ok guys.....get out your 9's......here mousey, mousey, mousey !!!!!
    Looks like that guy could have used a 9mm......and that is a fairly small bear.

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    At that point anything would be better than a punch in the nose....but as I see it he would have had time to draw a gun. Shooting a juiced up, charging animal is no work for a pea shooter, he can still kill ya easily....needs to be stopped immediately....but you know that.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Who was it that said, " I wasn't planning on going for a run today.....then the Game Wardens came out of nowhere".

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    At that point anything would be better than a punch in the nose....but as I see it he would have had time to draw a gun. Shooting a juiced up, charging animal is no work for a pea shooter, he can still kill ya easily....needs to be stopped immediately....but you know that.
    Yes, even a 9mm Winchester Magnum, TAFFIN TESTS HORNADY 147 XTP
    9MM MAGNUM
    10.5 GR. BLUE DOT 1344 FPS
    http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt9mag.htm
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I just read the title, then came to the last page. I'm guessing I didn't miss much.
    Sorry about this, fellas.
    OldChap likes this.

You didn't do no wrong, Bud...we're almost all bad about chasin' rabbit trails and gettin' into arguments 'round here...staying focussed on the OT is hard when you get old...WE're sorry.
    Militant, Mike1956, OD* and 3 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JGKC9AYC View Post
    What Snub44 said.

Stick with the .45...
    Militant, OD* and OldChap like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JGKC9AYC View Post
    What Snubb44 and Mike1956 said. And I agree with the .45 ...
    Mike1956 and OD* like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links