Illinois CCW - Page 2

Illinois CCW

This is a discussion on Illinois CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OneGunTX Below is the list of the 23 categories of places you cannot carry in IL. Even though I live in Houston, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Illinois CCW

Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post
    Below is the list of the 23 categories of places you cannot carry in IL. Even though I live in Houston, I have family back in Chicago, travel there 3-4 times/year, and went through the pain of taking a 16 hour class, paying $300 and waiting for 127 days for my IL non-resident license. When I travel to Chicago, fly or drive, I always carry, but I have to be very careful of where. Since public transportation is prohibited, I have to rent a car and fight traffic. This is the most difficult restriction. I avoid almost all restaurants and shops in and around downtown ChiRaq. It seems like the Chicago PD handed out the no-gun signs like candy because they are plastered every door and window. Funny how the gun crime has been going up, not down. The farther you go outside of Chicago, the better things get. My family lives in the northern suburbs. I avoid Deerfield and Northbrook because they have laws that are not voided due to pre-emption that makes things tough.

I use an App called Posted! that help identify businesses and places that have no-gun signs.
    Are you sure all of that information is current? I believe there were some parking lot changes in the last year or two.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    Are you sure all of that information is current? I believe there were some parking lot changes in the last year or two.
    I took the information from an Ill government link. I don't know how often they update their website.
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

Distinguished Member
    Been carrying since Day 1 and very few places I go are marked. Post Office is about it. BTW as per the law, you don't have to store your gun in a lockbox in your vehicle. It just has to be concealed in a locked car or in a locked container in an unlocked car. You don't have to unload it and lock it up in your trunk. And your car in the parking lot is a safe haven to store in most places. Nuke plants and military bases are a No-No. The supreme court ruled that the glove compartment and center consoles are approved containers. Is it wise to leave a gun there is your decision to make.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hick63 View Post
    Been carrying since Day 1 and very few places I go are marked. Post Office is about it. BTW as per the law, you don't have to store your gun in a lockbox in your vehicle. It just has to be concealed in a locked car or in a locked container in an unlocked car. You don't have to unload it and lock it up in your trunk. And your car in the parking lot is a safe haven to store in most places. Nuke plants and military bases are a No-No. The supreme court ruled that the glove compartment and center consoles are approved containers. Is it wise to leave a gun there is your decision to make.
    Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post
    Below is the list of the 23 categories of places you cannot carry in IL. Even though I live in Houston, I have family back in Chicago, travel there 3-4 times/year, and went through the pain of taking a 16 hour class, paying $300 and waiting for 127 days for my IL non-resident license. When I travel to Chicago, fly or drive, I always carry, but I have to be very careful of where. Since public transportation is prohibited, I have to rent a car and fight traffic. This is the most difficult restriction. I avoid almost all restaurants and shops in and around downtown ChiRaq. It seems like the Chicago PD handed out the no-gun signs like candy because they are plastered every door and window. Funny how the gun crime has been going up, not down. The farther you go outside of Chicago, the better things get. My family lives in the northern suburbs. I avoid Deerfield and Northbrook because they have laws that are not voided due to pre-emption that makes things tough.

I use an App called Posted! that help identify businesses and places that have no-gun signs.
    I will try the app! Thank you!

I got a non-res IL permit because I drive back to St. Louis from Richmond from time to time. I just wanted to be legal when passing through and even staying overnight. But even though I was born in IL and have a lot of relatives there, I stay out of it as much as I can.
    PharmerJoe, Kurt2k and Struckat like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by PharmerJoe View Post
    Is there anyone else that has their Illinois CCW? I want to start carrying, but the restrictions on where you can carry is so extensive that it seems impossible! I have 5 kids and we are all doing school things that removes a lot of carrying options there. Plus my work prohibits weapons, so I guess my question is when and where do you carry?

I'll have had my Illinois LTC for 5 years next month. I carry almost all the time including to church on Sunday. There aren't too many places not on the list of mandated CPZs that are posted here in Southern Illinois that are posted. I can see it being a problem carrying if you have a lot of school things. I've noticed a few places that have removed their gun free zone signs in the past 5 years.
    Aceoky and PharmerJoe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iljunglebob View Post
    I'll have had my Illinois LTC for 5 years next month. I carry almost all the time including to church on Sunday. There aren't too many places not on the list of mandated CPZs that are posted here in Southern Illinois that are posted. I can see it being a problem carrying if you have a lot of school things. I've noticed a few places that have removed their gun free zone signs in the past 5 years.
    Thank you!

I don't live in IL, but do have a suggestion for avoiding the Post Office. Use a private pack and ship store. They usually handle US mail as well as private services.

There is one near me that is closer than the PO, has a shorter line, and is not posted as a gun free zone. They charge a little more than the PO, but are worth it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I carry most anywhere, never post offices or big street events I.e. Taste of Chicago. My summer carry is pocket with a G43 6 shot 9mm In the cold, jacket weather, my Kahr 40
    Good luck
    PharmerJoe likes this.

I've grown so comfortable carrying that I don't even realize I have it on me most of the time. If I were to accidentally carry into a prohibited place, it certainly wouldn't be "knowingly"...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array lordhamster's Avatar
    I live in OH, not Il but am in a similar boat. My lifestyle makes carrying all but impossible.

When Iím in OH, I work from home. When I leave my home it is usually to do one of two things:
    1. Go to a school event @ my kids school - No carry.
    2. Go on a work trip (by air) - No carry.

My work has me traveling internationally constantly. So unfortunately for my family and I, the windows where I CAN carry are very limited. Even within those windows, I would not knowingly violate signs. I see gun rights as an extension of my property rights, and likewise respect the property rights and wishes of private business / property owners not to be patronized by myself or my family.

That said, I DO wish that Ohio took away force of law from the signs. Iím always affraid that one day I walk into a door of a mall or something that has signage on another door I didntí see, I end up printing and get slapped with a felony tresspass by an overzealous judge over what amounts to an unintentional oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    I live in OH, not Il but am in a similar boat. My lifestyle makes carrying all but impossible.

When Iím in OH, I work from home. When I leave my home it is usually to do one of two things:
    2. Go on a work trip (by air) - No carry.

My work has me traveling internationally constantly. So unfortunately for my family and I, the windows where I CAN carry are very limited. Even within those windows, I would not knowingly violate signs. I see gun rights as an extension of my property rights, and likewise respect the property rights and wishes of private business / property owners not to be patronized by myself or my family.

That said, I DO wish that Ohio took away force of law from the signs. Iím always affraid that one day I walk into a door of a mall or something that has signage on another door I didntí see, I end up printing and get slapped with a felony tresspass by an overzealous judge over what amounts to an unintentional oversight.
    Totally agree!!!

An acquaintance who helped do some work on our house has a ccp. Just seeing that was enough to cause me to start the process. I'd hesitated for a few years. The reason he got his was so that he could carry legally in his vehicle. He had his wife do the same. Without any children, they can now legally carry and secure loaded weapons in the car. The danger we all have to consider is locking our loaded firearm in the car and going into a restricted store and leaving someone without a permit in that car. They would then be highly illegal if for some reason police became involved.

My wife does not have a permit. So, If I must leave her and the firearm in the car together, I must then unload. On those days, I like to carry a small revolver so that I don't have to rack a slide each time which adds a bit to the risk of overhandling our firearms.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post

While you can't carry into the school building can leave it locked in your car which at least allows you to carry to/from the school.

It's not a felony on private property, only a 4th degree misdemeanor. The law requires the signs be posted conspicuously and they would have to prove you "knowingly" ignored that sign. If the entrance isn't posted, you haven't broken the law.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links