Illinois CCW

Illinois CCW

This is a discussion on Illinois CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there anyone else that has their Illinois CCW? I want to start carrying, but the restrictions on where you can carry is so extensive ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Illinois CCW

Illinois CCW

Is there anyone else that has their Illinois CCW? I want to start carrying, but the restrictions on where you can carry is so extensive that it seems impossible! I have 5 kids and we are all doing school things that removes a lot of carrying options there. Plus my work prohibits weapons, so I guess my question is when and where do you carry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BCC73 and CG11 like this.

I carry most everywhere....few places I think twice about. Malls, restaurants, etc. I'm taking the gamble with Carrying ! Most all cases you'll not be found out unless you make a printing mistake or have to use the Gun. Either way you make that choice of consequences as you walk in. I've attended many School & Athletic events with my grandkids...well protected !! Can't advise you to break the law...but the Permit in this Commi state is well worth it .
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43

I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

Thank you!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerJoe View Post
    Is there anyone else that has their Illinois CCW? I want to start carrying, but the restrictions on where you can carry is so extensive that it seems impossible! I have 5 kids and we are all doing school things that removes a lot of carrying options there. Plus my work prohibits weapons, so I guess my question is when and where do you carry?

I've had my IL CCW from the beginning. I carry pretty much everywhere. There are few places I go that I cannot.
    PharmerJoe, Kurt2k and bustoff like this.

If you canít carry some places you buy a lockbox for you vehicles and lock it up when you need to stay legal. Your choice if and when.
    PharmerJoe, duane_wade and SWIll like this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    If you canít carry some places you buy a lockbox for you vehicles and lock it up when you need to stay legal. Your choice if and when.
    Good point, thanks!!

Haywood and SWIll like this.

Distinguished Member
    I do not live in IL so I am not very familiar with this CC restrictions. I live in PA, a state with fewer restrictions than many others. But I see it this way. It does not matter wher you cannot carry. All that matter is thet you do carry because you can face a life threatening in those places to. If you do not carry you are exposed to danger everywhere and unable to do something about it. If you do carry at least you can defend yourself in some places.
    PharmerJoe and ShooterGranny like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

Not at work due to the sign on the door. Other than that, everywhere all the time. But, my kids are grown and out on their own.
    The post office and when I vote are the only place I go where I cannot carry.

The malls, restaurants, nothing is posted where I live, north of the war zone almost to cheeseherderland.

But they have you on the school thing. Ironically where it could be one of the most important places to carry...
    PharmerJoe and duane_wade like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    Not at work due to the sign on the door. Other than that, everywhere all the time. But, my kids are grown and out on their own.
    The post office and when I vote are the only place I go where I cannot carry.

The malls, restaurants, nothing is posted where I live, north of the war zone almost to cheeseherderland.

But they have you on the school thing. Ironically where it could be one of the most important places to carry...
    Exactly!!!!

When I know I am going to have to disarm before entering somewhere, that day I put something like a LCP .380 in a pocket w/a pocket holster. Then it is simple to stop a block or so ahead, where no one may be watching to see who is leaving their firearm behind, and secure it. When I come out, the first thing I do is place it back into my pocket or jacket pocket. You get used to it quickly. The few municipal bldgs I go to are usually to pay bills, so I use the drop box to drop off the payment.

You have to watch out you don't wander into a playground if you are out for a walk - especially with your kids. That one doesn't seem right.
    This state will probably never change the school thing. Especially now with the new Governor.

The other tricky one is car shows in town or festivals where a permit is needed. Legally, you need to disarm.

All in all, it really isn't a problem for me, but I'm older and retired. I got used to it fairly quickly. If your instructors are LEO's and especially if you take extra training with them, you will have your eyes opened. Most of us have shot recreationally, or once served in the Military or both. If you have a choice choose LEO's for training rather than the guys at the local range. You will get a different perspective.

You just have to weight the advantages verses the disadvantages. Most all of us may never need to use deadly force to protect ourselves or family. Are you a gambler? I'd hate to loose that gamble with my family at stake.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    When I know I am going to have to disarm before entering somewhere, that day I put something like a LCP .380 in a pocket w/a pocket holster. Then it is simple to stop a block or so ahead, where no one may be watching to see who is leaving their firearm behind, and secure it. When I come out, the first thing I do is place it back into my pocket or jacket pocket. You get used to it quickly. The few municipal bldgs I go to are usually to pay bills, so I use the drop box to drop off the payment.

You have to watch out you don't wander into a playground if you are out for a walk - especially with your kids. That one doesn't seem right.
    This state will probably never change the school thing. Especially now with the new Governor.

The other tricky one is car shows in town or festivals where a permit is needed. Legally, you need to disarm.

All in all, it really isn't a problem for me, but I'm older and retired. I got used to it fairly quickly. If your instructors are LEO's and especially if you take extra training with them, you will have your eyes opened. Most of us have shot recreationally, or once served in the Military or both. If you have a choice choose LEO's for training rather than the guys at the local range. You will get a different perspective.

You just have to weight the advantages verses the disadvantages. Most all of us may never need to use deadly force to protect ourselves or family. Are you a gambler? I'd hate to loose that gamble with my family at stake.
    Great advice! Thank you!

VIP Member
    Part of the equation of where you can carry, PharmerJoe, is where you choose to go. California is not as restrictive as some on carry, and signs here do not carry the force of law. Never the less, I choose not to go to places I cannot carry if at all possible. I very rarely visit the Post Office, am retired so I don't go to work, and tend to stay away from schools. I understand that this does not fit your life at present, but perhaps there may be some things you can vary to increase your opportunity to carry. As a for instance, business with posted no gun signs are simply not places I wish to support. I go elsewhere.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

Below is the list of the 23 categories of places you cannot carry in IL. Even though I live in Houston, I have family back in Chicago, travel there 3-4 times/year, and went through the pain of taking a 16 hour class, paying $300 and waiting for 127 days for my IL non-resident license. When I travel to Chicago, fly or drive, I always carry, but I have to be very careful of where. Since public transportation is prohibited, I have to rent a car and fight traffic. This is the most difficult restriction. I avoid almost all restaurants and shops in and around downtown ChiRaq. It seems like the Chicago PD handed out the no-gun signs like candy because they are plastered every door and window. Funny how the gun crime has been going up, not down. The farther you go outside of Chicago, the better things get. My family lives in the northern suburbs. I avoid Deerfield and Northbrook because they have laws that are not voided due to pre-emption that makes things tough.

I use an App called Posted! that help identify businesses and places that have no-gun signs.

(430 ILCS 66/65)
    Sec. 65. Prohibited areas.
    (a) A licensee under this Act shall not knowingly carry a firearm on or into:
    (1) Any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public or private elementary or secondary school.
    (2) Any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a pre-school or child care facility, including any room or portion of a building under the control of a pre-school or child care facility. Nothing in this paragraph shall prevent the operator of a child care facility in a family home from owning or possessing a firearm in the home or license under this Act, if no child under child care at the home is present in the home or the firearm in the home is stored in a locked container when a child under child care at the home is present in the home.
    (3) Any building, parking area, or portion of a building under the control of an officer of the executive or legislative branch of government, provided that nothing in this paragraph shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed firearm onto the real property, bikeway, or trail in a park regulated by the Department of Natural Resources or any other designated public hunting area or building where firearm possession is permitted as established by the Department of Natural Resources under Section 1.8 of the Wildlife Code.
    (4) Any building designated for matters before a circuit court, appellate court, or the Supreme Court, or any building or portion of a building under the control of the Supreme Court.
    (5) Any building or portion of a building under the control of a unit of local government.
    (6) Any building, real property, and parking area under the control of an adult or juvenile detention or correctional institution, prison, or jail.
    (7) Any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public or private hospital or hospital affiliate, mental health facility, or nursing home.
    (8) Any bus, train, or form of transportation paid for in whole or in part with public funds, and any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public transportation facility paid for in whole or in part with public funds.
    (9) Any building, real property, and parking area under the control of an establishment that serves alcohol on its premises, if more than 50% of the establishment's gross receipts within the prior 3 months is from the sale of alcohol. The owner of an establishment who knowingly fails to prohibit concealed firearms on its premises as provided in this paragraph or who knowingly makes a false statement or record to avoid the prohibition on concealed firearms under this paragraph is subject to the penalty under subsection (c-5) of Section 10-1 of the Liquor Control Act of 1934.
    (10) Any public gathering or special event conducted on property open to the public that requires the issuance of a permit from the unit of local government, provided this prohibition shall not apply to a licensee who must walk through a public gathering in order to access his or her residence, place of business, or vehicle.
    (11) Any building or real property that has been issued a Special Event Retailer's license as defined in Section 1-3.17.1 of the Liquor Control Act during the time designated for the sale of alcohol by the Special Event Retailer's license, or a Special use permit license as defined in subsection (q) of Section 5-1 of the Liquor Control Act during the time designated for the sale of alcohol by the Special use permit license.
    (12) Any public playground.
    (13) Any public park, athletic area, or athletic facility under the control of a municipality or park district, provided nothing in this Section shall prohibit a licensee from carrying a concealed firearm while on a trail or bikeway if only a portion of the trail or bikeway includes a public park.
    (14) Any real property under the control of the Cook County Forest Preserve District. The District is special
    (15) Any building, classroom, laboratory, medical clinic, hospital, artistic venue, athletic venue, entertainment venue, officially recognized university-related organization property, whether owned or leased, and any real property, including parking areas, sidewalks, and common areas under the control of a public or private community college, college, or university.
    (16) Any building, real property, or parking area under the control of a gaming facility licensed under the Riverboat Gambling Act or the Illinois Horse Racing Act of 1975, including an inter-track wagering location licensee.
    (17) Any stadium, arena, or the real property or parking area under the control of a stadium, arena, or any collegiate or professional sporting event.
    (18) Any building, real property, or parking area under the control of a public library.
    (19) Any building, real property, or parking area under the control of an airport.
    (20) Any building, real property, or parking area under the control of an amusement park.
    (21) Any building, real property, or parking area under the control of a zoo or museum.
    (22) Any street, driveway, parking area, property, building, or facility, owned, leased, controlled, or used by a nuclear energy, storage, weapons, or development site or facility regulated by the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission. The licensee shall not under any circumstance store a firearm or ammunition in his or her vehicle or in a compartment or container within a vehicle located anywhere in or on the street, driveway, parking area, property, building, or facility described in this paragraph.
    (23) Any area where firearms are prohibited under federal law.
    (a-5) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a public or private community college, college, or university from:
    (1) prohibiting persons from carrying a firearm within a vehicle owned, leased, or controlled by the college or university;
    (2) developing resolutions, regulations, or policies regarding student, employee, or visitor misconduct and discipline, including suspension and expulsion;
    (3) developing resolutions, regulations, or policies regarding the storage or maintenance of firearms, which must include designated areas where persons can park vehicles that carry firearms; and
    (4) permitting the carrying or use of firearms for the purpose of instruction and curriculum of officially recognized programs, including but not limited to military science and law enforcement training programs, or in any designated area used for hunting purposes or target shooting.
    (a-10) The owner of private real property of any type may prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms on the property under his or her control. The owner must post a sign in accordance with subsection (d) of this Section indicating that firearms are prohibited on the property, unless the property is a private residence.
    (b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.
    (c) A licensee shall not be in violation of this Section while he or she is traveling along a public right of way that touches or crosses any of the premises under subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section if the concealed firearm is carried on his or her person in accordance with the provisions of this Act or is being transported in a vehicle by the licensee in accordance with all other applicable provisions of law.
    (d) Signs stating that the carrying of firearms is prohibited shall be clearly and conspicuously posted at the entrance of a building, premises, or real property specified in this Section as a prohibited area, unless the building or premises is a private residence. Signs shall be of a uniform design as established by the Department and shall be 4 inches by 6 inches in size. The Department shall adopt rules for standardized signs to be used under this subsection.
    (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 99-29, eff. 7-10-15.)
    PharmerJoe likes this.
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

VIP Member
    Wow. Now the state of Illinois knows where to monitor every one of their licensed concealed carry holders in one spot
    Aceoky likes this.
    expat no more

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    Just remember even that doesn't legally work in Federally owned Post Office parking lots.

Looks like I didn't read enough again as this has been mentioned before I replied.
    Joe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links