Texas gun laws?

Texas gun laws?

This is a discussion on Texas gun laws? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, itís looking like I might get a job transfer to the Houston area. Very excited, as we have family in the area. As a ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Texas gun laws?

Texas gun laws?

Well, itís looking like I might get a job transfer to the Houston area. Very excited, as we have family in the area. As a bonus, taxes and the cost of living are much better than where we are now.

The icing on the cake is the much more favorable gun culture. For those who live there, what do I need to know?

My understanding is open carry is legal? Not a fan, but I might do it until Iíve been there long enough to get a concealed carry license. I do have a Utah non resident CCW, so maybe that would carry me over?

Iím going to study the Handgunlaw.us website, but figured the Texans here would steer me right.

As far as rifles and shotguns, I imagine just about anything goes?

Thanks all
    Pete63, CWOUSCG, OD* and 4 others like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

VIP Member
    Hope it works out for you.
    Pete63 and 10thmtn like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Welcome! Work brought us here a year ago. If you can find a house outside of Harris county, property taxes here are unreal.

As for OC, you need a permit to do so and I donít think Iíve seen anyone OC since Iíve been here. TX does recognize all other state permits including non res so youíre good until you can get a TX permit. Bonus, vets have a reduced fee for that!
    Pete63, Havok, Militant and 2 others like this.

Sister says "There are Angels walking among us. If they're mean they're not Angels and you can shoot them"

Black Rifles Matter

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

In case you haven't found it yet, you might check out texaschlforum.com. I believe most of the users on there are in Texas.
    Pete63, 10thmtn, mbschne and 1 others like this.

Well, you do have to get a LTC, license to carry. Texas is a ďShall IssueĒ. Price is $40 application fee plus 4 hr class and fingerprints and a range qualification. Really simple.

You have a Duty to inform, and there are only 3 sign that have force of law.
    A 40.06 ( can not CC), a 40.06 (can not OC) and a Red 51%. (51% of revenue is from alcohol sales , no carry allowed).
    Gun buster signs mean squat.
    No mag capacity limits.

Houston is a very liberal city but the surrounding areas are quite nice.
    Their official bird is the mosquito.
    Some areas do flood so have a evacuation plan ready with alternate routes.
    There is no state income tax but there is sales tax on most things (8.25 currently)

Hope you like it.
    Pete63, Snub44, 10thmtn and 3 others like this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Forgot to add that even without a LTC, you can have a firearm in your vehicle, loaded and ready, as long as it is concealed and not on your person.
    OC of a long gun is also legal without a permit. You just missed winter and spring is only 3 weeks long.
    Hope ya like 120% humidity.
    CWOUSCG, Snub44, 10thmtn and 3 others like this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    Forgot to add that even without a LTC, you can have a firearm in your vehicle, loaded and ready, as long as it is concealed and not on your person.
    OC of a long gun is also legal without a permit. You just missed winter and spring is only 3 weeks long.
    Hope ya like 120% humidity.
    Sister asked our neighbor, yíall fought Mexico for this place?!?! Give it back!
    ButtShot14, Bad Bob and WTFrick like this.

Sister says "There are Angels walking among us. If they're mean they're not Angels and you can shoot them"

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Well, itís looking like I might get a job transfer to the Houston area. Very excited, as we have family in the area. As a bonus, taxes and the cost of living are much better than where we are now.

The icing on the cake is the much more favorable gun culture. For those who live there, what do I need to know?
    Anywhere except parts of Houston, All of San Antonio, All of Austin and Parts of Dallas are strongly pro-2A. No one even really notices when I open carry in East Texas. Its pretty normal here. The main cities mentioned, however, have some blatantly Anti-2A policies (and attempted laws) that State level government is constantly trying to stop.

My understanding is open carry is legal? Not a fan, but I might do it until Iíve been there long enough to get a concealed carry license. I do have a Utah non resident CCW, so maybe that would carry me over?
    Yes, open carry is legal but only if you have a 'License to carry' or a reciprocal state's CHL / CCL. A list of reciprocal states and their actual agreement are here: TxDPS - Agreements with Other States
    And a useful website is here: http://www.stateoftexaschl.com/reciprocity/

However, if you have a reciprocal license, then CC is fine.

Iím going to study the Handgunlaw.us website, but figured the Texans here would steer me right.
    Texas gun laws?-1pdezl.jpg

As far as rifles and shotguns, I imagine just about anything goes?

Thanks all
    Yup. NFA laws apply but otherwise everything is legal. One of the last holdouts was not being able to use a suppressor when hunting, which was fixed last legislative session. SBS, AR Pistols, "Fully Semi Autos" and pretty much anything else are all legal. Tannerite can be bought on store shelves. Ahh, freedom.
    Snub44, Pete63, Militant and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Come on down, we need more guns here! :) The O.C. is good, in that before you could get charged, for the public seeing you carrying. Now with O.C., you don't have to worry about printing. The only big deal, is watching for F.O.L. signs that are correct on wording, to prohibit you carrying there. Schools, bars (more than 51% income generated from alcohol sales, as mentioned), few other places. You can carry an AR openly, if you wanted too. (NO, I wouldn't!. You could/can carry a sword too! Knives, pretty much anything goes now! In my opinion, it's a great state, with low cost of living. No tax on non-prepared food, gas is cheap, car tags are fairly priced, lots of other "daily cost items" cheap, or fairly priced. Lots of LGS's here! As to crime, lets face it, it's everywhere, BUT some area's are a little safer. I'm sure other's here will chime in on more positives (& negatives!). I welcome you down, Sir!
    Snub44, Militant, 10thmtn and 1 others like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

If your Utah permit reciprocates, then you are good to go, but OC and CC both require a carry permit. For the most part, 30.06 and 30.07 are lawful ďno gunĒ signs, as well as 51% but the others are not. We donít state income tax but we have high property tax. In my opinion, Iíll take the high property tax over income tax. Which area of Houston are you looking at?
    Snub44, Pete63 and 10thmtn like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

VIP Member
    Also lawful is the sign worded like the 51% concerning alcohol but WITHOUT the number 51% on it...mandated to post hospitals in the Health & Safety Code 552.002.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    If your Utah permit reciprocates, then you are good to go, but OC and CC both require a carry permit. For the most part, 30.06 and 30.07 are lawful ďno gunĒ signs, as well as 51% but the others are not. We donít state income tax but we have high property tax. In my opinion, Iíll take the high property tax over income tax. Which area of Houston are you looking at?
    I used to live in Harris county, but when I moved back from Georgia (MAN, what a costly place to live!), I was smart, & moved right across county line, so my taxes are lower (car ins. also!)(Montgomery county).
    5lima30ret, Havok and CWOUSCG like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Weíre looking at The Woodlands, where we have family.
    OldChap, Havok, Pete63 and 1 others like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    everything you need to know about Texas License to Carry is here;

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/ltc/faqs/index.htm
    Snub44, 10thmtn, OldChap and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    10thmtn likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links