Magazine released By car seat - Page 4

Magazine released By car seat

This is a discussion on Magazine released By car seat within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rlggray That's what I don't like about my SA xde 9&45. Didn't give it any thought when I bought em. First time ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Magazine released By car seat

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    That's what I don't like about my SA xde 9&45. Didn't give it any thought when I bought em. First time I holstered one of them to carry, I thought to myself, that's gonna be a problem. So before it became a problem, I unholstered it and grabbed my shield 45. I'll probably end up selling the xde 9 and the 45.

Never liked ambi safeties, and now I know better than to ever buy another gun with an ambi mag release.

Oh, I do have an HK p2000sk, and love it. Definitely gonna get another HK.
    The thing with truly ambi safeties is that they usually require a harder press to release because they have to translate a crosswise force into a front to back force. But a single side release just uses a direct force in line with the mag release press (I hope that makes sense). I noticed this on my XDs and my P10C. I prefer single side mag releases even though I'm left-handed.

If the XDe is anything like the XDs release then I personally would not be that worried about it. I've never had my XDs come close to releasing inadvertently. I'm actually considering and XDe in .45 just for something different and with 1 extra round than most single stacks of that size.

I've had an M&P puke the mag out on me almost every time I racked the slide and the Shield release is very similar. Though again my issue was lefty-induced.

Y'all feeling sorry for us lefties yet?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Pete63 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    Not always the case! I am a lefty too. I ended up getting rid of my S&W Shield because the lap belt kept releasing the magazine. The Shield was a great gun, but the second time the magazine ended up in the Walmart parking lot, I sold it (never had the problem with any other gun).
    The mag releases on the S&W's keep me from buying any of them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Doesn’t help the OP, but for those who might not be aware...Glock designs their Sport/Combat OWB holster such that the mag release is protected.
    CavemanBob likes this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post
    I don't think the ambi XDe mag release is much of a problem, it's somewhat recessed into the grip. If you're concerned you can a) buy a holster which covers this. b) grind the side down you don't use.

Personally, I find the Shield much more worrisome, the mag release isn't recessed and it releases very easily, or at least it did on the Shield EZ I looked at. Does the regular Shield release as easily as the EZ?

I don't know about the EZ, I've never handled one. I haven't had any problems with either of my shields. Not yet anyway. The release is pretty well protected from anything bumping into it when it's not exposed like it is on the xde. Ymmv.

I will be on the lookout for a holster that will cover the release. I do like the xde. It's a pretty sweet shooter. I like the 45 best.
    CavemanBob and wondering like this.

Crossdraw in the car with Vedder LightTuck holster in reverse cant position. Problems solved and easier/quicker access to firearm.

It looks like the iwb kydex holsters from Cooks covers the mag release button on the thumb side of the pistol, but I have not seen a kydex holster that covers the mag release button on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Carry a wheelgun? :) ( sorry, I had to)

I usually carry at about 2:00 so it isn't an issue, but I would either find a holster that covers the release, or move the holster a bit.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Quote Originally Posted by viney266 View Post
    No need to apologize....That thought always occurs to me whenever something goes wrong. A snub was my first carry gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    viney266 likes this.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Walther PPS. Ambidextrous safety, can't be accidentally pressed, easy to activate with the shooting hand middle finger.
    SmoothJazz likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I wouldn't use a hybrid holster. I wouldn't use a holster with a "clip" and I wouldn't use a gun with a mag release either. Just kidding...kind of.
    Attachment 291058
    This is the reason I carry an S&W 638.
    forester58 and SmoothJazz like this.
    Peace

This was happening to my XDM fairly often and it took me forever to figure out what and how it was happening. I was carrying at 5:00, I moved it to 4:00 and problem solved. I now carry a 1911 and haven’t had the same problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by viney266 View Post

I usually carry at about 2:00 so it isn't an issue, but I would either find a holster that covers the release, or move the holster a bit.
    Or park the car and start commuting on horseback...
    viney266 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    We've probably all seen this, but it fits so well :)

Magazine released By car seat-ruffians-2.jpg
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

It is all about what works for you. However, I would first try different holster and if no go try modification of safety. I really don't see a lot of value in ambi safety, so I would just remove one side of safety.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links