Down to one hand - Page 2

Down to one hand

This is a discussion on Down to one hand within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nothing like experience to get a persons attention. Pray that you heal quickly and that the lesson is not too painfull. 2010 I messed up ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Down to one hand

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Nothing like experience to get a persons attention.
    Pray that you heal quickly and that the lesson is not too painfull.

2010 I messed up my right shoulder. Two years and two surgeries later I was back to about 80% of normal.
    Thankfully I had done some off hand training, but not nearly enough to prepare for the complete loss of use of my dominate hand. Was forced to learn to do everything with my left hand.

Back then I was carrying a S&W snub and sought out specific training in one handed operation.
    I also found that the sling they put you in after shoulder surgery makes a great concealed carry option. OH, you might want to remove the pistol or at least warn the nurse before you go in for your Dr appt. LOL
    I had shot with my surgeon and was the instructor when he took the CC class, so didn't think about it until it was too late.
    She still laughs about it every time I see her. I'm also pretty sure every one in that clinic has heard the story.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

OP: Get well soon. At some point we all should come to the realization that in a SD situation (through injury or fending off an attacker) you'll need to use your off hand to bring your weapon to bear. You need to be able to shoot and manipulate the gun with your off hand well, but you also have to figure out how to draw your gun with your off hand. It could be as simple as carrying a backup on your off side/pocket.

As a young man, I made it a point to become proficient shooting with my off hand (left). Tons and tons of practice. As a young Staff Sergeant, I took a sizable bet (from 10 other SNCOs) that I shoot a pistol requalification using only my left hand. I shot Expert. And yes, I practice shooting left handed to this day.
    ParsonBrown likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Here is the thing friends, injuries to hands is a huge thing in gun fights, everyone is looking at everyone else's weapon, so you get hit on the hands, arms holding those weapons under duress.

We should all be able to run a gun, with two, strong only, weak only, and have our gear set up to assist.

Train hard, survive.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Try using your left hand on ALL THE DAILY TASKS you do at home (or work?). Get your mind thinking that your left hand is the only option. When I chopped off my rt. middle finger (80% sever), I was forced to use my left hand for over a year. It became a mental game as well as physical. Other than writing, I do pretty good with both my hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
    Many years ago I cracked a bone in my right hand and had to learn how to survive without it for a few weeks. Anybody else here ever try to wipe their butt with their non-dominant hand? It ain’t pretty, folks.
    ^^^ This! ^^^

I am STILL recovering from rotator cuff surgery on my dominant side. I am getting really good at using my non dominant hand for EVERYTHING, including toilet duty. It was difficult at first, but now I am so good at performing tasks with my off hand, I intend to continue engaging my off hand more even after I am fully recovered. It was an eye opener, that’s for certain, but it is one benefit to this ordeal that should serve me well in the future.
    Last edited by Rockymonster; March 20th, 2019 at 06:51 PM.
    OD*, Pete63 and TSKnight like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy."

Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    ^^^ This! ^^^

I am STILL recovering from rotator cuff surgery on my dominate side. I am getting really good at using my non dominate hand for EVERYTHING, including toilet duty. It was difficult at first, but now I am so good at performing tasks with my off hand, I intend to continue engaging my off hand more even after I am fully recovered. It was an eye opener, that’s for certain, but it is one benefit to this ordeal that should serve me well in the future.
    That's probably not a bad idea!
    Rockymonster likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Down to one hand myself (broke my wrist). After 2 months, I think I'll finally be able to use both hands on the draw. Gonna try to get to the range this Friday with my new CZ P10s. If I didn't have a red dot sight, I probably wouldn't be able to rack the slide yet. Only thing I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do yet is clean the handgun. That's ok, after a few months I should be able to, or, I will pay someone at the range to clean it.

I know this is like the third thread I've posted a pic of my new handgun. lol Sorry. I'm like a kid with a new toy. Can't wait to get to the range. I think I'm really going to like the red dot sight. Took a few dry fire practice draws at home to get used to it. As far as the light goes; boy, I'm still not sure. At least I don't hate pistol lights anymore, but, can't exactly say I like it on my gun either. Gonna keep practicing with it, I really like the idea of a rail light. Not gonna give up til I know I gave it 100%.
    Pete63 likes this.

One of the benefits of being a piano and guitar player is that you have to learn to use both hands equally well. It transfers to shooting, as I found long ago. I can shoot badly with either hand.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Ever had a pin in your bone?

Well, let me ask you this: Have you seen the movie 'Grease'? You know that scene where everyone is dancing around having a good time? Well, it's NOT like that.

I can't even pick my nose lefthanded. I will be doomed if I lose the use of my right hand/arm. My oldest sister, on the other hand, was completely ambidextrous. I've watched her write sentences upside down and backwards with both hands at the same time. I think one of us is adopted.
    Any Day Now and Rockymonster like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    One of the benefits of being a piano and guitar player is that you have to learn to use both hands equally well. It transfers to shooting, as I found long ago. I can shoot badly with either hand.
    I play both the piano and guitar as well, but that didn't help me much with wiping my butt with my left hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ParsonBrown View Post
    I do not own a revolver...maybe this is my window of opportunity to get one?
    Absolutely. Just my opinion but every gun enthusiast should have at least 1 (or 10 ) revolver in the collection. Kinda like a 1911 - if you don't have one you don't know what you're missing.

In fact, you need 2 - with the bum hand a NY reload is just what the doctor ordered!!!

YES!! Wasn't pretty!Tom TKH

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
    I play both the piano and guitar as well, but that didn't help me much with wiping my butt with my left hand.
    Practice, practice, practice..... prior to my surgery, I dreaded that part most of all. I know....TMI...

In actuality, I got pretty good at it.....

Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    I'm right handed but I've always practiced at the range double handed, single handed with right and left hand. Practice drawing right and left single handed. Also flycast ,sign my name right and left handed. An added benefit with using your weak hand as much as possible is that it does make you concentrate a little bit more rather than using muscle memory, which means you have to excersise your brain a little more. As people strive to have every thing done for them at a touch of a button, or tell some stupid box on the counter to do something, the dumber people get. I figure using your brain as much as possible might help keep you from becoming an idiot, maybe help with memory loss, brain fog as you get older.
    The main thing is that you continue using both hands after your strong hand heals.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrambler View Post
    I'm right handed but I've always practiced at the range double handed, single handed with right and left hand. Practice drawing right and left single handed. Also flycast ,sign my name right and left handed. An added benefit with using you're weak hand as much as possible is that it does make you concentrate a little bit more rather than using muscle memory, which means you have to excersise your brain a little more. As people strive to have every thing done for them at a touch of a button, or tell some stupid box on the counter to do something, the dumber people get. I figure using your brain as much as possible might help keep you from becoming an idiot, maybe help with memory loss, brain fog as you get older.
    The main thing is that you continue using both hands after your strong hand heals.
    I like this 2 X!
    riverrambler likes this.

Joe Lewis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links