DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

Down to one hand

Thread: Down to one hand

Tags:

ParsonBrown said:

Down to one hand

So I injured my support hand yesterday and it will be out of commission for a few days to a week. Thankfully nothing major...Anyway, it opened my eyes to what I have read about and watched videos on. Having one hand only changes things. For one, my normal spare mag spot is not reachable by my right hand. That had to change this AM. I also realize one hand manipulation is pretty useful in a moment like this.

I'm hoping to get a little range time to work on some of this. What recommendations do you have for practice/drills?

Any Day Now said:
    Parson - can you still rack the slide? Do you think you'd be able to clear a jam?

I was just thinking it might be easier to handle a revolver?

Either way - good food for thought - thanks for posting.

OD* said:
    Sorry to hear that you were injured, hope you recover quickly, but it does make things clear, doesn't it.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Pete63 said:
    Try using your left hand on ALL THE DAILY TASKS you do at home (or work?). Get your mind thinking that your left hand is the only option. When I chopped off my rt. middle finger (80% sever), I was forced to use my left hand for over a year. It became a mental game as well as physical. Other than writing, I do pretty good with both my hands.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

G26Raven said:
    ParsonBrown, have you practiced racking the slide off your belt, holster, or heel of your shoe? All of these are doable, but they do take practice (starting with an unloaded weapon). My wife and I were trained in how to do this quite awhile back. I am sure there are some good articles, and possibly videos, on how to do this on the web.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

Fizban said:
    Quote Originally Posted by ParsonBrown View Post
    So I injured my support hand yesterday and it will be out of commission for a few days to a week. Thankfully nothing major...Anyway, it opened my eyes to what I have read about and watched videos on. Having one hand only changes things. For one, my normal spare mag spot is not reachable by my right hand. That had to change this AM. I also realize one hand manipulation is pretty useful in a moment like this.

I'm hoping to get a little range time to work on some of this. What recommendations do you have for practice/drills?
    I recommend you focus on what you can do to promote the healing process and not worry about a spec op mission. If you want to train for the possibility that fighting while injured.. I get it. You do that when you are not injured and simply "simulate" the injury... you don't go a train WHILE you are injured. Its all about realistic priorities Brother.. but perhaps your are very different than mine.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

CG11 said:
    May you heal quickly, ParsonBrown, and be free of pain. God bless and keep you.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

ParsonBrown said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Try using your left hand on ALL THE DAILY TASKS you do at home (or work?). Get your mind thinking that your left hand is the only option. When I chopped off my rt. middle finger (80% sever), I was forced to use my left hand for over a year. It became a mental game as well as physical. Other than writing, I do pretty good with both my hands.
    Lots of great replies guys. Thanks! I picked this one because I am left handed, but shoot right handed so I actually do a lot of stuff with both hands. That gives me a bit of leg up I think. It was my left hand that was hurt.

I have practiced a handful of times racking the slide like @G26Raven said...that would be a good thing to work on. I cannot rack the slide at this time.

As OD* said, it makes things clear.

I do not own a revolver...maybe this is my window of opportunity to get one? LOL

@Fizban - I totally understand what you are saying. I'm no Navy Seal for sure. But life happens and I don't see the harm in always wanting to learn/grow/improve. I cut my hand and had to have it glued up. Just need a couple of days to get it healed up. Pretty minor, just a little more than a band aid though.

Fizban said:
    Sure.. life happens. If you have not previously trained for fighting one handed then obviously you were not too concerned with "life happening". If that is the case, I am not sure why you would now go and train with glue holding your wound together. Good luck, be safe and heal soon.

ParsonBrown said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    Sure.. life happens. If you have not previously trained for fighting one handed then obviously you were not too concerned with "life happening". If that is the case, I am not sure why you would now go and train with glue holding your wound together. Good luck, be safe and heal soon.
    One of the sillier things I've read on here. It sounds like you are saying...because someone had not trained for something they were not concerned with life happening to them. Actually that is what you said, but I digress.

So because someone had not covered/learned a concept then they were not concerned about it?...and furthermore why would they worry now? I am a normal guy that has taken some CCW training and surprise surprise I have yet to learn it all. I'm glad I didn't tell my kids not to worry about learning to ride a bike when they first expressed interest LOL...You silly kids, you weren't previously trained on bicycles, I'm not sure why you would go and learn now. I'll save a ton of money when they turn 16 and want car training LOL.

Is it too risky to maybe "train" in my home with an unloaded firearm on racking the slide off my belt or heel? Probably is...don't want to learn anything while I'm wearing a band aid.

10thmtn said:
    Iíd suggest learning one handed manipulation. In addition, keep a secondary gun where you can reach it with your one good hand.

Dropping an empty or malfunctioning gun and drawing another is way faster than one handed manipulation.

Get better soon!
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

matthew03 said:
    You can run a weapon effectively with one hand, it does take training and practice.

Look at the 1985 Miami shootout, it was ended by an FBI agent port loading a 12g and running it one handed until all the threats down.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Frodebro said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Many years ago I cracked a bone in my right hand and had to learn how to survive without it for a few weeks. Anybody else here ever try to wipe their butt with their non-dominant hand? It ainít pretty, folks.

Fizban said:
    One of the sillier things I've read on here. It sounds like you are saying...because someone had not trained for something they were not concerned with life happening to them. Actually that is what you said, but I digress.
    I think you miss the point.. the man said he was hurt and will likely heal in a week or so. Its just odd that if he has waited this long to train one handed, why not wait 10 days when he is healed and do it then. Saying he was not concerned .. is a figure of speech. I was suggesting that he if he has not trained previously then its probably fair to assume that he did not feel a pressing need to do it. If that is the case, what is waiting another 10 days for a injury to heal- going to do. I was simply suggesting that he let the wound heal Ö of course now its some sort of band-aid level issue where the first post said he was "down to one hand" .. to me that suggest that he cannot use his hand. So I don't know what kind of injury this is but I stand by the general spirit of not training on the range while adhesive, stitches, staples or anything else is holding a wound together. That's just me.

No big deal, I wasnt intending to get into a debate over the comment.. Im just an old guy trying to tell a young guy that tending to an injury is sometimes more important than playing Rambo. Call it silly if you want.. I have been called many things and I wont even disagree with 99% of it. I am quite the silly person a good porting of the time. It doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about. Good luck

CDW4ME said:
    I carry a "2nd option" pistol in my weak hand front pocket; I practice with it one hand, weak hand too.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.