Overweight carry - Page 2

Overweight carry

This is a discussion on Overweight carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 033111 I seem to be roughly 40lbs heavier than when I previously carried. Started doing it again but have noticed that the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Overweight carry

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 033111 View Post
    I seem to be roughly 40lbs heavier than when I previously carried. Started doing it again but have noticed that the 3-5 area doesnít seat as well as it used to.

Even before this issue arises I began correcting the weight problem.

The question is for you bigger folks. How do you carry? I donít feel the belly band system would work, printing hard unless I buy a new woredrobe.. Iím not 100% I could pull off pocket carry. Do to the increasingly growing liberal population iwb is the ideal situation (no owb).

Any ideas Iím overlooking?
    How do I carry? 3 o'clock works for me. IWB, right on the hip. And I could stand to loose 80 pounds.
    Sister and gatorbait51 like this.

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DavesYourUncle View Post
    I'm too short for my weight, to the tune of about 45-50lbs.
    "Not so much overweight, as undertall." (very obscure sf-nal reference.)

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    "Not so much overweight, as undertall." (very obscure sf-nal reference.)

Oh yes I get this! Undertall, thatís what Iíll call it from now on 🤣

Iím also undertall, and I cross carry at 3 😊
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
    I have to keep my IWB at about 3:30. If I try to go any farther to the rear, it prints like crazy because of these stupid fat pockets I have just above my waist at 4 and 8........

On cows I believe itís called a ďrump roastĒ?

not poking fun, I too can relate and remember seeing them well on my grandmother...from far behind. I canít see mine weíre good
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

I am 6'04" and was told I was three inches too short to be a DPS trooper when I came to Texas. I am left handed and generally carry OWB at 9:00. If it's an auto, mags at 3:00 or revolver the speed loaders at 11:00. It all vanishes under my big Astros jersey.
    gatorbait51 and Sister like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I am also, what I like to call, a "large mammal", and I can relate to the dilemma.

I found that concealment for me is best at 2:00 - 2:30, using an IWB holster, and a pretty large cant forward on the holster (like 20 - 30 degrees forward). Moving farther backwards on the belt (like farther back than 3:00) makes the gun handle print, and any farther forward is going to be VERY uncomfortable, due to my . . . uh . . "tactical shelf". There's no way I could carry a gun AIWB, unless I lose a lot of weight. And even then, I'm not personally sold on AIWB.

I've carried some medium to large handguns this way, including an N-Frame S&W, Ruger GP100, 1911 Government, and currently an HK USP Compact.

I've mostly used Theis hybrid holsters for this type of carry, and they're very comfortable because the height and angle are very adjustable. However, I'm currently trying out a Dara IWB with a steep 30 degree cant, and it's also working very well. I use a Bigfoot Belt. Best darn belt I ever owned.

Of course, I have to buy the next size up in pants, and if I'm not carrying a gun, then I have to hitch up the belt another notch to keep them up.

Good luck. Don't give up, you'll find something that works for you.

This thread makes me not feel so bad about my spare tire(s) I carry around. I found way more than where I carry is what i carry in. I went through a bunch of holsters which all sucked eggs and I thought that carrying a piece was just a miserable proposition. At least until I tried leather hybrid holsters. Pretty much any of the full size hybrid holsters function the same, though I favor ones that use heavier duty leather like crossbreed, alien gear cloak tuck 1, etc. It helps spread the weight out and once it gets broken in it feels like a favorite pair of boots. I carry at 8 o'clock and 9 out of 10 guns I carry disappear after 5 minutes of wearing it.

Thanks for the insight everyone

DG
    I carry in a Galco concealable slightly in front of my right hip pocket. I wear T-shirts, sweat shirts, whatever as cover garments..

At my age, I don't dress up and if your attention is focused on my ass, well I consider that a compliment.
    Teufelhunde and Haywood like this.

PM
    When I first started to CC I was 290 and had a IWB that fit great about 3:30-4:00. Felt fine no discomfort once I found the sweet spot. I lost +/-109 lbs and could not find the sweet spot for that same rig (not enough padding I guess) so my issue is just the opposite of the OPs. Gained by about 80 lbs and 3:30-4:00 is the sweet spot again.

I'm 5'6"([email protected]%bf) I buy all my clothes, at least, two sizes up. I could squeeze into some 38" pants, but buy and wear 44", not to be a sagg'n idiot, but accommodate my complete IWB EDC gear. I have three, Stealth Gear, single clip, double mag carriers, and a Stealth Gear Vent Core holster for my Sig P229 with light.
    Since my chest is bigger than my waistline, I can get away with wearing an XXL shirt, when I'm leaner, which will drape from my chest and lats, so nothing from my IWB EDC prints at all. During the holidays/winter, I may go to XXXL as I usually pack on a little more in the belly and love handles areas. In the past two years, though, I've been good, and haven't had to bump up to XXXL.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Lefty_Red likes this.

I'm 6'3" 315# and carry iwb around 3:30 with either a LC9 or my PX4 SC. Summer carry is a Beretta pico pocket carry. Works great for me, just disappears in my pocket. I even carry my Pico in the winter too at times when I am running short on time, just tuck in the pocket and go.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I've got a P220 full size in a Bianchi 19L holster and for my P220R carry I got a 1791 leather holster
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Overweight carry-20190427_150207.jpg  

Overweight carry-20190427_150251.jpg  

Navy Seabee
    NRA Life Member
    Sig P220 compact
    Sig P220 full size

I am 6'2" I have just lost 48 lbs. I am now under 300 lbs again. Feels good. When I carry IWB I carry a full size gun 1911 or M&P 9 at 3:00. Been doing it for years and has always worked no matter what weight. I do pocket carry most days even when I carry IWB.

Shoulder holster with a button up shirt over top. Button up helps you look thinner then you are and no worry as to pants being loose or tight effecting it. But Iíll worn if wearing a shoulder holster buy a good one. I probably have several cheap ones that o went through before getting a Galco and actually liking it. My recommendation is start with a Miami classic save your money on the cheap ones cause youíll tire of them quickly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links