CCW clothing?

CCW clothing?

This is a discussion on CCW clothing? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's after season and I went to the local western wear store to look at a CCW coat, but they were out. They did have ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: CCW clothing?

CCW clothing?

It's after season and I went to the local western wear store to look at a CCW coat, but they were out. They did have a vest, BUT! It had a contoured elastic band to hold the pistol in the full vertical position, muzzle straight down. The inside CCW pocket was not attached to the inner or outer liner, so it just hung loosely. The elastic band was so high in the pocket that grip of my Shield, not a particularly large pistol, would have been at the very top of the pocket. I could do what I did to my summer carry vest and my motorcycle cut and build a near horizontal holster inside the pocket, muzzle and butt about level, but the Shield barely fit inside the pocket.

As designed, as all but a very few CCW garments I've seen, they may carry and conceal a weapon, but drawing? I'd likely be dead before I could get my weapon out unless I was hidden from view, like back a few aisles from the armed robber, and he didn't see me at all. So what gives? Don't these designers have anyone that actually carries at least test these monstrosities before sending them out? This thing would only have been useful if I carried a snub nosed revolver. Just what do I need to do to find a real CCW coat?

I know about the Scotte, but the owner HATES gun owners, only after taking advantage of us, so NOT interested in supporting him.
    CG11 likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

I hear yah. Nothing "quick" about a lot of these CCW clothing articles. Such things are seldom a concern here in S. FL. I wear a jacket perhaps 3-4 days a year. About the same for long pants or long sleeves. The downside is the humidity gets so bad the sweat causes gunpowder to run down your side.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I've been carrying concealed since 1974. My favorite method of carry (OWB) is primarily covered by a properly-sized square-bottomed button-up shirt made of non-catchy material that's not too thin. I use this method to carry 1911s, small plastic 9mms, and a J-frame revolver this way, although not at the same time. My last batch of shirts that I bought two months ago are Van Heusen shirts I got on sale at Zhaycee Pen-yay. Dedicated CCW shirts made by various mfrs don't offer any benefits to me beyond the privilege of paying high prices. I've had five 5.11 Covert Casual shirts and I learned I don't need them. I did splurge on a pair of CCW Breakaway pants a year or so ago. I haven't tried them out yet.
    Bad Bob, bigdogtx and sigman69 like this.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Such attire generally seems to be designed by folks who don't know much about carrying concealed firearms for customers who don't, either.
    bmcgilvray, flh, OldVet and 11 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

I use a vest as a cover garment for a holstered firearm, rather than as a vest holster. The best quality of the makers I have tried is Concealed Carry Outfitters. I have 2 of their Western style vests. http://www.concealedcarryoutfitters....p/western-vest
    Pete63 likes this.

Regular clothing over a good gun belt and quality carry gear.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

VIP Member
    I see no need for CCW clothing. The only piece I have is an NRA windbreaker I got for a membership level. It had (I removed it) an inside pocket with tape and loopo retention that seemed pretty worthless as a carry holster/holder. Most jackets are going to sag even with a light mouse gun, much less anything larger. In summer I just wear an untucked oversize t-shirt, cargo shirt, or Hawaiian shirt as a cover garment. If I MUST tuck, I pocket carry.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR
    GOA
    TFA-LAC
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    I use a vest as a cover garment for a holstered firearm, rather than as a vest holster. The best quality of the makers I have tried is Concealed Carry Outfitters. I have 2 of their Western style vests. http://www.concealedcarryoutfitters....p/western-vest
    Something similar for myself also. As @matthew03 already mentioned, a "good gun belt and quality gear" (decent holster) are your best bet.
    matthew03 likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

One of the guys at my LGS wears a western conceal vest and its always buttoned up and there is a Velcro strap he has to take off as well. No way that would be fast enough to do much good in my view.
    ShooterGranny and matthew03 like this.

I haven't run across any purpose-built CCW clothing that actually suits my needs, I believe that there is a big market for any startup that would do some real R and D and come up with something that works and is good looking and is comfy.

I tend to buy clothing from Duluth (pricey, but usually good quality), and these shirts seem to work okay for my carry (4 o'clock, IWB). I have never, ever come across any pants or shirts that were ideal for pocket carry. And, I'll tell any would-be designer what I'm looking for.
    Cargo pants, and with cargo pockets where the top pockets are. Lower riding cargo pockets are heck for the mass of a carry piece, the gun flops like two squirrels are chasing each other within the pocket. The upper pockets in cargo pants are typically form-fitting; and a carry piece prints like neon sign, and is difficult to withdraw besides.

So, why not have UPPER as well as lower cargo pockets (meaning that the UPPER pockets stand out from the pants and have velcro covers rather than typical upper pockets? Thus, both the upper AND lower pockets would be cargo-style).

My idea, and anyone is welcome to it.
    matthew03 likes this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

@DZUS -- "So, why not have UPPER as well as lower cargo pockets (meaning that the UPPER pockets stand out from the pants and have velcro covers rather than typical upper pockets? Thus, both the upper AND lower pockets would be cargo-style)."
    I don't want velcro covers on the pocket that I'm carrying in. Too slow getting the velcro un-velcro'ed, then reaching in to get to the weapon. Just me, maybe.
    spclopr8tr likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Sorry, but anything on the belt sends me to the chiro after only a few hours, so limited to vest or shoulder carry.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Regular clothing over a good gun belt and quality carry gear.
    I have been doing that since 1982.
    AzQkr, matthew03 and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    Sorry, but anything on the belt sends me to the chiro after only a few hours, so limited to vest or shoulder carry.
    Suspenders.....
    BigJon10125 and Pete63 like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

Lead Moderator
    None of the purpose made ccw holster pockets clothing seem all that useful that I have tried or seen. The best so far was a Berne heavy jacket with Velcro on the bellows pockets. I still leaves the gun off person if you remove the jacket so I don't use it as intended.
    I do like the 5.11 cover shirts for longer tail and snap closure rather than buttons.
    matthew03 likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links