Texas - pocket holsters illegal?

This is a discussion on Texas - pocket holsters illegal? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally getting settled into our new home here. Went over to the Handgunlaw.us website, and was surprised to see that, apparently the only way to ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Texas - pocket holsters illegal?

Finally getting settled into our new home here.

Went over to the Handgunlaw.us website, and was surprised to see that, apparently the only way to legally carry concealed in Texas is with a belt or shoulder holster?

Am I reading this correctly?

Im going to get my Texas drivers license soon, and then my LTCF, but I understand I can legally carry now with my other licenses. Once I get to take my Texas mandatory class, I hope all the nuances become clear.

I have frequently pocket carried, so I want to make sure.

As a side note, Im disappointed at how many 30.06 no concealed carry signs Im seeing...might as well leave the gun at home. The irony is I was better off in the land of Mu, where licenses are so hard to get that nowhere was posted.

Oh well...
    Rabbit212, Mike1956 and Old Man like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

Went over to the Handgunlaw.us website, and was surprised to see that, apparently the only way to legally carry concealed in Texas is with a belt or shoulder holster?

Im going to get my Texas drivers license soon, and then my LTCF, but I understand I can legally carry now with my other licenses. Once I get to take my Texas mandatory class, I hope all the nuances become clear.

As a side note, Im disappointed at how many 30.06 no concealed carry signs Im seeing...might as well leave the gun at home. The irony is I was better off in the land of Mu, where licenses are so hard to get that nowhere was posted.

Oh well...
    Weird, down here in the RIO Grande Valley the 30.06 isnt that common I dont remember the last time I had to disarm because of 30.06.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

VIP Member

Oh well...
    If your license is good here from your old state, you can pocket carry...belt or shoulder holster are required for OPEN carry. PM

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Are you sure youre not reading the open carry law? Strange that you are seeing that many 30.06 signs. I never see them up there.
    Pete63 likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

VIP Member
    I rarely see them either. Not sure what your're referring to as far as the means you carry your firearm, unless you're referring to open carry. I believe what they are NOT allowing is "carrying around in your hand OR "Mexican Carry". They (state) want the firearm secured in some "fashion", IF you open carry it.
    baren and OldChap like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    @10thmtn , I carry an XDs in my pocket daily. Had numerous interactions with LEO'S. Pocket carry is "concealed carry", so no problem (would guess your pocket carry involves a holster, but law here does "NOT REQUIRE IT!)
    Rock and Glock, baren and OldChap like this.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

I work in the Houston metro area...lots of 30.07 and 30.06 signs, unfortunately.

The Handgunlaw site was confusing, at least to me. Made it seem like the limitation of only belt or shoulder holster applied to concealed as well as open carry.
    CWOUSCG and OldChap like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Oh well...
    That is why I always laugh at Texans who talk so tough... I was a cop there for 16 years. Texas has LOTS of liberals.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

VIP Member
    I work in the Houston metro area...lots of 30.07 and 30.06 signs, unfortunately.

The Handgunlaw site was confusing, at least to me. Made it seem like the limitation of only belt or shoulder holster applied to concealed as well as open carry.
    I re-read the passages you're reading. "THAT'S FOR OPEN CARRY! Once again, if pistol is concealed , YOU COULD "MEXICAN CARRY", if you chose to! Where are "all the places" you're seeing the 30.06 signs? You hanging out in bars?
    baren and OldChap like this.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    That is why I always laugh at Texans who talk so tough... I was a cop there for 16 years. Texas has LOTS of liberals.
    Yes, because liberals from California are infecting the state.
    Rabbit212, baren, OldChap and 2 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Well, Bad Bob, if you're willin' to buy your own beer, you don't have to hang with the libs...
    Havok, Pete63, CWOUSCG and 3 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    @10thmtn , I carry an XDs in my pocket daily. Had numerous interactions with LEO'S. Pocket carry is "concealed carry", so no problem (would guess your pocket carry involves a holster, but law here does "REQUIRE IT!)
    Pocket carry does NOT require it...your "not" fell out and rolled away, Pete.
    Pete63, OldChap and airslot like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Correct! Thanks! Will edit!
    OldChap likes this.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Last time my "NOT' fell out, my mom spanked the dickens out of me!
    OldChap, airslot and Struckat like this.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

VIP Member
    Not half of it, she didn't...
    Pete63, CWOUSCG and OldChap like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links