Armed High School Students? - Page 4

Armed High School Students?

This is a discussion on Armed High School Students? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rabbit212 Ok. Point being??? Responsible, capable and armed young people have long been the backbone our armed forces....

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: Armed High School Students?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Ok. Point being???
    Responsible, capable and armed young people have long been the backbone our armed forces.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

To think of arming school children to keep the school a safe place when adults are whinging and whining about needing more gun control instead of taking real steps to harden up schools and make them safe nation wide is unacceptable to me.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Responsible, capable and armed young people have long been the backbone our armed forces.
    So then are you or are you not for raising the enlisting age to 21?? I got no problem raising it to 21 as long as they also raise the voting age back to 21. Same goes for those dems who want to lower the voting age to 14 or 16 lower the voting age then let them also be eligible for military service and register for selective service.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    The gun doesn't make good ones better, or bad ones worse. It is merely a tool.
    The gun doesn't but the knowledge that some teachers have guns, even if unknown to the students which ones in particular, tips the scales even more for a student to be coerced into something that should never happen.

FYI, I'm coming at this from the point of view of a father whose daughter at 10 y/o was sexual harassed by a 51 year old teacher in school.
    graydude and Rabbit212 like this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

So you think the “bad” ones would start doing what?
    It's that the students don't know who has what and the disproportionate balance of power gets skewed even more. See my comment to Mike1956 above.
    Rabbit212 likes this.

VIP Member
    So then are you or are you not for raising the enlisting age to 21?? I got no problem raising it to 21 as long as they also raise the voting age back to 21. Same goes for those dems who want to lower the voting age to 14 or 16 lower the voting age then let them also be eligible for military service and register for selective service.
    Sorry, I was being sarcastic with my raise it to 21 suggestion.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    The gun doesn't but the knowledge that some teachers have guns, even if unknown to the students which ones in particular, tips the scales even more for a student to be coerced into something that should never happen.

FYI, I'm coming at this from the point of view of a father whose daughter at 10 y/o was sexual harassed by a 51 year old teacher in school.
    By that rationale, no adults in any position of authority should ever be permitted to carry firearms.

By that rationale, no adults in any position of authority should ever be permitted to carry firearms.
    The government coerces us by threat of incarceration if we don't send our children to public schools or in many states submit to a regime of ridiculous rules and processes if we choose to home school. That's not the same in most other situations in which we can freely choose whether to allow our children to be around such adults to carry or not.

When I went to high school in Northern California we were requested to turn our firearms into the office in the morning. They had a large vault for just that purpose.

By the time my daughter went to that same high school, the school was not allowed (by the state) to store firearms. The result was more firearms in student vehicles and in the lockers. Her locker was once searched during a school day and a note, on police letterhead, was left on my/her Makarov stating that firearms were not to be left unattended in lockers.

From that point in it was in her backpack during the day. About a month after "The Gun Search" known firearms carriers had to attend a meeting. At the meeting they were told the backpacks would not be searched; but they were never to be left unattended for any reason, and a few other rules.

That was it, there were never any problems. The reason for the gun, the first was that she and her friends would frequently go shooting after they finished studies. She also did some trail running, afther school, on some wooded areas. The only time the pistol was ever used was related to a large pack of feral dogs. Of curse, purely on a lark, she sometimes would ride her horse to school. She didn't do that often as it just took too long.

So, I know of at least one school where it was relatively common for students to have firearms. However, as a teacher, I definitely would not want students to have firearms with them; but then, I teach 7th and 8th grade, not at a high school.
    Blazin9 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar

We would have been living in Canada when my Daughter was 10 YOA. I was a violent man in those years, but also quite focused. That teacher would have had a dwelling, a vehicle, and at times in places quite conducive to being approached, quietly.

Unfortunately predators seek jobs that give them access to their victims. Having worked with over 1500 teachers, plus many hundreds of other staff, I can say that where I live that most of the people are decent people. Sadly, some of the monsters are very good at hiding in plain sight. We've had seven of them get caught between my time as a staff member and student. As a total representation of the overall staff population they have comprised of far less than 1% of the entire staff.

Nothing will stop those people from being bad. Bad is bad.

No teacher, who wants to be armed to actually protect, would knowingly allow the students to know they are armed. It would defeat the purpose of their being armed. Most teachers would not even think of being armed. Some of them would get upset knowing someone other then the school resource officer was armed. They are that out of it when it comes to thinking rationally about safety.
    graydude and Rabbit212 like this.

Teachers already have disproportionate authority over students...imagine the bad ones having that authority and a firearm...
    Teachers have authority, yes, and they should with a class full of children. What is "disproportionate authority"?
    So you think the “bad” ones would start doing what?
    I'm wondering the same thing; this parallels an anti-2A sound bite.

Plainly stated, the inference of the anti's in this line of reasoning is there are some teachers who are racist who would shoot first and ask questions later; therefore no teachers should be allowed to be armed.

The same allegation of racism is driving increased cultural awareness training for cops and IIRC also for teachers in FL for their new carry credentialing.

IMO, if there's a racist teacher in the classroom I'd be far more concerned about their daily teaching of students and influence on the student's self esteem and learning than the highly unlikely scenario they would shoot a student. Anyone concerned with the latter should really focus on addressing the former which is a detriment to far more people in the long run and potentially just as deadly.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

No. But, I bet schools could get Volunteer Retired Police and Military to patrol the schools and monitor metal detectors.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    When I was a junior and senior in high school in the early-1960s, there were guns in many vehicles in the parking lot. We never heard of a school shooting back then.
    So did we, but this was the 80s. I vividly remember a guy showed up with his rifle on the gun rack in his truck window. He was going hunting right after school got out. There were at least 3 pistols in cars that I knew of.

School officials were more worried about booze and dope lol.

But with today's youth, I don't think they are responsible enough. Times have changed and some things not for the better.
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Kid carry? No. Teacher carry? I feel if a teacher wants to CC they should be able to but my fear would be having a first responder mistake them for the shooter & make a bad situation worse.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links