Armed High School Students? - Page 7

Armed High School Students?

This is a discussion on Armed High School Students? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo To add to this, that 18 year old before reporting to Battalion*: 1. Passed BCT / OSUT if 11 series 2. ...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 178
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: Armed High School Students?

  1. #91
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,035
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    To add to this, that 18 year old before reporting to Battalion*:

    1. Passed BCT / OSUT if 11 series
    2. Passed AIT
    3. Passed Basic Airborne Training
    4. Passed Ranger Assessment and Selection Program (previously RIP)

    *could really have started out as a 17 year old but that's another discussion.
    Sure, but the point is, people are hung up on age.
    We get the government we deserve.

  2. #92
    VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Sure, but the point is, people are hung up on age.
    Understandably. With age comes wisdom and maturity...something even Rangers can lack. Skillset to handle firearms and the maturity to know when to shut up, etc. are not always aligned. I think that is the issue with many when it comes to age. Not saying I agree, just the reality.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

  3. #93
    VIP Member Array Snub44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,390
    How about because Federal law https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/gu...otice/download forbids it in most circumstances...certainly in school, where we are talking in this thread. The Federal Gun Free School Zone Act also makes it illegal, because they cannot be licensed by the State of La to carry concealed at those ages...

    Like it or not...the law is the law.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #94
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,035
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    Understandably. With age comes wisdom and maturity...something even Rangers can lack. Skillset to handle firearms and the maturity to know when to shut up, etc. are not always aligned. I think that is the issue with many when it comes to age. Not saying I agree, just the reality.
    Sometimes it does, but some people never get the wisdom or maturity no matter how old they get. going back to what I said in post 78, someone said they think they would be “taking a chance” when someone who is 18 carries a gun, even though they have the right to do so. I argue that we accepted that we will “take a chance” back in 1791, whether it be someone who is 18, in or out of high school(because they are still adults either way) or someone who is 60, and caries a gun daily, but has only ever fired a gun in his concealed carry class. That is a consequence that we have accepted as a necessity for it being a right.
    Bikenut likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

  6. #95
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    How about because Federal law https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/gu...otice/download forbids it in most circumstances...certainly in school, where we are talking in this thread. The Federal Gun Free School Zone Act also makes it illegal, because they cannot be licensed by the State of La to carry concealed at those ages...

    Like it or not...the law is the law.
    Maybe you missed the part in post 1 where it said “All legal concerns and specifics aside,”
    We get the government we deserve.

  7. #96
    VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Sometimes it does, but some people never get the wisdom or maturity no matter how old they get. going back to what I said in post 78, someone said they think they would be “taking a chance” when someone who is 18 carries a gun, even though they have the right to do so. I argue that we accepted that we will “take a chance” back in 1791, whether it be someone who is 18, in or out of high school(because they are still adults either way) or someone who is 60, and caries a gun daily, but has only ever fired a gun in his concealed carry class. That is a consequence that we have accepted as a necessity for it being a right.
    Rights do vary with age...even Constitutional ones. The question is...at what age.
    Havok likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

  8. #97
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,035
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    Rights do vary with age...even Constitutional ones. The question is...at what age.
    Well I would say the argument could be made that since you become an adult at 18, at that point you’re an adult, and you can buy and carry guns, beer, vote, and enjoy life the same way as every other adult. However, We are all over the place now, and becoming an adult doesn’t really mean much because you can’t buy alcohol, in some state tobacco, and handguns or even all guns in some states until you’re 21, and dems want to lower the voting age to 16. So that’s a good question you ask. But overall, I think if an age is going to be placed, it should be no older than 18, whether it be for guns or anything else.
    We get the government we deserve.

  9. #98
    VIP Member Array Snub44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Maybe you missed the part in post 1 where it said “All legal concerns and specifics aside,”
    You mean like when you specifically mentioned that you have to be 17 to open carry in LA, so why... and so forth? I didn't miss anything in post 1, I was just answering your legally specific question...pardon me.

  10. #99
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    You mean like when you specifically mentioned that you have to be 17 to open carry in LA, so why... and so forth? I didn't miss anything in post 1, I was just answering your legally specific question...pardon me.
    Yes, I mentioned it as a reply to your post where you mentioned state and federal law, just to show that there is at least one state that allows people who are 17 to carry. But this thread is about whether people would support it, not whether it’s currently legal.
    We get the government we deserve.

  11. #100
    VIP Member Array Snub44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,390
    Also from post 1, in case you missed it: "Your thoughts, please, on why or why not? " That's an invitation to express why we would or would not support it. That it would fly in the face of the law is a solid reason why I won't.
    To have this discussion without considering what's legal would exclude those thoughts, for some. Same like without the specifics you brought up on the legal age to become a professional soldier to make your point and state your opinion. That would be like telling us to explain our position without using any facts...I don't think that's what the OP meant.

  12. #101
    Member Array ShenandoahValley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, VA.
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    In Louisiana you have to be 17 to open carry. But if someone is 18, they are an adult. Why shouldn’t they be able to carry?
    I believe they should be able. Just not in a school.
    The More People I Meet the More I Like My Dog.

  13. #102
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,035
    Quote Originally Posted by ShenandoahValley View Post
    I believe they should be able. Just not in a school.
    Why is a school any different than anywhere else? Safety is clearly not guaranteed in a school. On top of students and teachers being forbidden from carrying, nobody is allowed to, or responsible for protecting them.
    We get the government we deserve.

  14. #103
    VIP Member Array Snub44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,390
    Safety is not guaranteed in a bank, either...or a concert, or many other potentially target-type places...but some of those responsible want to provide an extra amount of security for peace of mind of customers, and, in the case of the schools, SOME are willing to take some action to provide parents/students an extra level of protection...nothing wrong with that course of action if it's responsibly implemented.

    That's how we got to this thread...how do we feel about the OP's posted option. Supply and demand...parents and children are far more than years past demanding that their children be supplied more protection against slaughter.

    In my opinion...that outcry's long overdue.

  15. #104
    Senior Member Array Grandpagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    503
    I attended the exact same school in the very early 60's.
    Back window of pick-ups almost always had a 30-30 in the rack.
    Never had the words "School shooting" until after I moved here in 1993.
    Stay safe all! Tom TKH

  16. #105
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Safety is not guaranteed in a bank, either...or a concert, or many other potentially target-type places...but some of those responsible want to provide an extra amount of security for peace of mind of customers, and, in the case of the schools, SOME are willing to take some action to provide parents/students an extra level of protection...nothing wrong with that course of action if it's responsibly implemented.

    That's how we got to this thread...how do we feel about the OP's posted option. Supply and demand...parents and children are far more than years past demanding that their children be supplied more protection against slaughter.

    In my opinion...that outcry's long overdue.
    You’re right that safety isn’t guaranteed in a bank, which is why we can carry in them. Nobody is forcing you to go to a concert.
    We get the government we deserve.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •