Armed High School Students? - Page 8

Armed High School Students?

This is a discussion on Armed High School Students? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Havok Youíre right that safety isnít guaranteed in a bank, which is why we can carry in them. Nobody is forcing you ...

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: Armed High School Students?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Youíre right that safety isnít guaranteed in a bank, which is why we can carry in them. Nobody is forcing you to go to a concert.
    But the kids ARE forced to go to school...which is the topic here...considering one way to protect them better. Nothing wrong with adding security, like we do in other parts of our society.

A school is different from anywhere else because what we love most in life is there...our children.

The problem is identifying a point where a person is mature enough to be trusted with deciding if/when to use lethal force.

That decision isn't something we can trust to very young children, but is something we trust most law abiding adults with. Defining a clear threshold for when minors achieve the level of trust needed to carry in school, that would be accepted by a majority of people, is probably an unachievable goal.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    The problem is identifying a point where a person is mature enough to be trusted with deciding if/when to use lethal force.

That decision isn't something we can trust to very young children, but is something we trust most law abiding adults with. Defining a clear threshold for when minors achieve the level of trust needed to carry in school, that would be accepted by a majority of people, is probably an unachievable goal.
    Bullseye! If the replies on this thread are indicative of how most adults in America who have children who are 16-18 years old, Jr and Sr in high school, feel, the vast majority don't feel that that age group is mature enough, with few exceptions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    But the kids ARE forced to go to school...which is the topic here...considering one way to protect them better. Nothing wrong with adding security, like we do in other parts of our society.

A school is different from anywhere else because what we love most in life is there...our children.
    I know they are forced to go to school, I was the one who brought that up.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post

18 year olds are adults. Iím not even sure the majority of people agree that people over the age of 21(or whatever meaningless age we assign) should be able to carry. But rights are not about public opinion.

I know they are forced to go to school, I was the one who brought that up.

Oh, I didn't see where you'd posted that...I still don't.
    Havok likes this.

Firearms....no. Leave that to the school employees.

However, I firmly believe that students 17 and older should be allowed less-lethal tools to defend themselves from threats to their safety.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Snub44 and msgt/ret like this.

Uncle Sam trusted me with an M-2 50 BMG (Ma Deuce) in Viet Nam when I was eighteen.

Armed High School Students?-ma-deuce-2017_01_22-17_26_42-utc-.jpg
    Snub44, PhaedrusIV, Havok and 2 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Uncle Sam trusted me with an M-2 50 BMG (Ma Deuce) in Viet Nam when I was eighteen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ma Deuce (2017_01_22 17_26_42 UTC).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	294846
    Mostly because (1) Uncle Sam needed bodies to deploy; (2) a screw up in Vietnam resulted in death or injury to expendables (those drafted or those on the other side). Screw up being defined as an accidental discharge or engaging outside the ROE, etc.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Oh, I didn't see where you'd posted that...I still don't.
    Well crap, I must have edited it out and not realized it. My apologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by seeker_two View Post
    Firearms....no. Leave that to the school employees.

However, I firmly believe that students 17 and older should be allowed less-lethal tools to defend themselves from threats to their safety.

Do you leave your gun home because someone else has one?
    Gunnie likes this.

As someone else mentioned, the defense of the young should be left to the staff who choose to be armed. Let the kids be kids, for they are most certainly not yet adults. Not completely yet.

Many have argued that some kids are good. I won't argue that fact. Individuals are good, but in groups that can change for the worse. I see that fact proven true over and over again. The benefit of working for a school district.
    Snub44 and seeker_two like this.

18 year olds are adults. Iím not even sure the majority of people agree that people over the age of 21(or whatever meaningless age we assign) should be able to carry. But rights are not about public opinion.
    Like it or not, reality is public opinion will affect what rights students get to exercise while under a public schoolís in loco parentis supervision.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Working for a school district where NPE-by-law is enforced by those LEO with guns that, I hope, will get to the scene before too many die; I have to do just that...

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    As someone else mentioned, the defense of the young should be left to the staff who choose to be armed. Let the kids be kids, for they are most certainly not yet adults. Not completely yet.

Many have argued that some kids are good. I won't argue that fact. Individuals are good, but in groups that can change for the worse. I see that fact proven true over and over again. The benefit of working for a school district.
    Well said!

Snub44 and Havok like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ma Deuce (2017_01_22 17_26_42 UTC).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	294846
    And how much supervision did you have there?
    The argument that teenagers can serve in the military is flawed in multiple ways. Even after being filtered through the induction process and basic training troops are still closely supervised by NCOs and officers. Even with that level of supervision when not deployed they are not walking around armed. Arms rooms and armories exist for a reason.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    And how much supervision did you have there?
    The argument that teenagers can serve in the military is flawed in multiple ways. Even after being filtered through the induction process and basic training troops are still closely supervised by NCOs and officers. Even with that level of supervision when not deployed they are not walking around armed. Arms rooms and armories exist for a reason.
    Not walking around armed, while on base, stateside. That changes on deployment. Those same people are bringing rifles into the DFAC.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links