Transitioning from IWB to OWB - Page 2

Transitioning from IWB to OWB

This is a discussion on Transitioning from IWB to OWB within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I also go with OWB, it is just more comfortable. I almost wear a cover garment. In the summer, I have started wearing a lite ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Transitioning from IWB to OWB

I also go with OWB, it is just more comfortable. I almost wear a cover garment. In the summer, I have started wearing a lite "sun jacket." In all, my pistol is adequately covered; but then, I am also in a "no one cares" part of the country.

Checkout http://winthropholsters.com/ Well made, decent quality holsters....Not quite the leather thickness and glossy finish of a Galco or custom made holster....but still well made, functional, and 1/3 to 1/2 the price......shipped within 24 hours as well....

YMMV

Lon

I started out carrying IWB as that was the way to CC back in the day. Milt Sparks VM2 was my favorite holster. Now days, comfort is a main consideration and there are a number of OWB holsters that conceal very well and are more comfortable than IWB. My current is a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. I prefer leather. YMMV.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I live in NC and even though open carry is legal but in the 20 years here I have here I have never seen anyone open carry on the streets other than those with a badge on the belts too ! Now I will carry my pistol or revolver owb on the rare occasion but only when in the woods scouting . Other wise I have 32 years of IWB at 3:00 carry both higher and far tighter to my body than any owb will even allow . I also don't want to wear a retention holster and if you go around people in a city you better use a retention holster . I also need to wear suspenders with IWB or OWB so that's a none issues . Being 63 years old I have had to deal with the lack of Butt checks issues for some years . Drop my suspenders off my shoulders , remove my pistol and wiggle my hips and my pants hit the floor !!

As it is I'm 5-9 215lb and if I wear a Carhart Force t-shirt now as there cut a little wider at the hips than regular T's and that makes a full grip 1911 easier to conceal .
    G26Raven and Eric357 like this.

OP here with results. Love the StealthGear OWB Ventcore. The OWB holster is a bit more comfortable as it doesn't require the belt to be quite as tight. Biggest advantage is that I can wear it at 3 o'clock making it more accessible than the OWB holster sitting at 4:30 (no way my body type would keep the OWB at 3:00!). The OWB is also easier on and off, handy when I go to matches and practice since I run a 1911 in a double belt rig for same. And, with the holster now at 3:00 I can spray weeds with a backpack sprayer while carrying.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    If I carry in a holster...it is OWB. I am way past suffering the discomfort I experienced with IWB. So, today, it is in my pocket or outside my waistband...and has actually been that way for some years now.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

I swing both ways. But OWB is more comfortable with a good holster and belt.
    Even with the dreaded noassatall disease. I can still carry a full size 1911 without my kilts or britches down around my ankles

Senior Moderator
    I was an IWB concealed carrier for years, but after several hip surgeries, I tried OWB. It's more comfortable and just as easy to conceal.
    Wavygravy and Eric357 like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    I was an IWB concealed carrier for years, but after several hip surgeries, I tried OWB. It's more comfortable and just as easy to conceal.
    Hmmm. Something for me to consider. Interesting. Thanks!
    flintlock62 likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I've found that the key to the switch is a good belt. A loose belt will flop like mad OWB. With my hip replacement I had to carry OWB for the past year and I found that a DeSantis Speed Scabbard held by a Hanks belt did the job.
    M1911A1 likes this.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Especially with thinner guns like sig 365 i find I don't give up much in concealability and gain accessibility.

I used to carry IWB, but due to a rotator cuff injury, I switched to OWB. I have less problem. And I bought a Phalanx Defense Systems belts slide holster which conceals my Sig P229 easily. I can also carry my Beretta 92 with an old Uncle Mikes kydex paddle rig easily too.

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    I've found that the key to the switch is a good belt. A loose belt will flop like mad OWB. With my hip replacement I had to carry OWB for the past year and I found that a DeSantis Speed Scabbard held by a Hanks belt did the job.
    Using a 1.75" gun-belt does a lot to keep an OWB in-place.

Wear the holster you want, and dress to conceal.
    forester58 and M1911A1 like this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

VIP Member
    Every holster I own except one is a @NelsonHolsters OWB version. It's so comfortable. I do carry James' Stealth for IWB when I want to carry my full size XD discreetly.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    OWB concealed is my daily standard. Lately I've been using a paddle holster for easy on/off. Even in summer heat, with a large T shirt it works fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links