renew permit??

renew permit??

This is a discussion on renew permit?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i live in kentucky and have my ccdw permit, it is now time to renew for another 5 years for $70. however kentucky passed a ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: renew permit??

renew permit??

i live in kentucky and have my ccdw permit, it is now time to renew for another 5 years for $70. however kentucky passed a law starting on July 1st that a permit isn't needed to carry conceal. my only problem is that i go to Tennessee about 4-5 times a month to shop, each time lasting about 3-5 hours. Tennessee allows carry in my vehicle without a permit but not on me, so if i go there without a permit the gun stays in the car. so my question is if you were on a tight budget like me with a fixed income would you renew for the trips to tennessee?, or would you not renew as i can carry in kentucky open or concealed without a permit. and just keep the gun in the car in tennessee? thanks for any help.
    Aceoky and CG11 like this.

It works out to $14 a year. Renew the permit if you want to carry in TN. Turn off a few lights and raise the thermostat to make it up.
    DZUS, Nmuskier, gasmitty and 22 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Just my opinion but I would renew. If you go to Tennessee that often itís kinda worth it to be able to carry in Tennessee. I understand the money issue though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'd renew. Kinda hard to put a price on security. I'm sure I could cut that much from somewhere else.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    Aceoky, CDW4ME and Rockymonster like this.

Ex Member
    I would renew it. I faced a similar situation. I have a PA permit but DE does not honor it. I live four miles from the DE border and once I cross it when shopping I escapep the 6% PA sales tax. I am on a fixed income and ever dollar counts. I figured I was just a vulnerable in DE as in PA. So I got an AZ non resident permit because it not only covered DE but some other states that do not reciprocate with PA. Cost was $60 for 5 years. At $12 per year why take any risks. You will recover from the cost, but heaven forbid you are defenseless in TN you might not recover.

For the future, set up a jar in your closet and on the first day of each month, put a dollar in it. Thatíll get you close to the next five year renewal amount when itís due.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It works out to $14 a year. Renew the permit if you want to carry in TN. Turn off a few lights and raise the thermostat to make it up.
    It works out to $14a year Renew the permit if you want to carry in TN turn off a few lights and LOWER the thermostat
    I suppose that means no Christmas card huh.
    DZUS and boomer92266 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by redmc View Post
    It works out to $14a year Renew the permit if you want to carry in TN turn off a few lights and LOWER the thermostat
    I suppose that means no Christmas card huh.
    He's okay, I don't send them COD.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by boomer92266 View Post
    i live in kentucky and have my ccdw permit, it is now time to renew for another 5 years for $70. however kentucky passed a law starting on July 1st that a permit isn't needed to carry conceal. my only problem is that i go to Tennessee about 4-5 times a month to shop, each time lasting about 3-5 hours. Tennessee allows carry in my vehicle without a permit but not on me, so if i go there without a permit the gun stays in the car. so my question is if you were on a tight budget like me with a fixed income would you renew for the trips to tennessee?, or would you not renew as i can carry in kentucky open or concealed without a permit. and just keep the gun in the car in tennessee? thanks for any help.
    Yes. What about the other states that you might drift into that recognizes your state?
    Personally I would never let it expire.
    sigman69, Aceoky and DZUS like this.

boomer92266 By all means renew. It is pretty cheap insurance, that's what is boils down to. $14 a year to insure you have a fighting chance if needed.
    Aceoky and DZUS like this.

Distinguished Member Array DZUS's Avatar
    One word...

Renew.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

There's also the fact that the permit gets you exemption to the 1000ft rule of the Feral Gun Free School Zone Act. That may not be of great importance, but it's a thing.

(Yes, I spelled what I meant.)
    Aceoky likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Five years is 60 months. 4-5 trips a month equals 240-300 trips over those 5 years. The permit is $70. That's just a little more than a dollar a month to carry from door to door. Each time you go to leave it in your vehicle is an opportunity for someone to break into your vehicle and steal your weapon. What's more expensive, the permit or your weapon?

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    If it was $70 monthly, I'd say skip it. But for 5 years? Scrape it up. Pawn something you don't want/use anymore. $70 is a lot when you can't afford it, but it's nothing if it means you can carry everywhere you go. A gun in a car means nothing if you're not in the car with it.

Keep in mind that, without a permit, you have no protection from GFSZA.

Also, I don't know about Kentucky, but in Missouri, under permitless carry you're are subject to stiffer penalties if you inadvertently carry in a prohibited place. With a permit, you're only subject to denial from the premises.

Factor in the loss of reciprocity and it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links