More gun control, more crime. Baltimore of course. - Page 2

More gun control, more crime. Baltimore of course.

This is a discussion on More gun control, more crime. Baltimore of course. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by spclopr8tr That makes a compelling argument for VA to have ERPOs. Not nearly as compelling as for the abolition of GFZs in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: More gun control, more crime. Baltimore of course.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    That makes a compelling argument for VA to have ERPOs.
    Not nearly as compelling as for the abolition of GFZs in this country.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Virginia often gets the blame for supplying guns to criminals in Baltimore, as well as NYC.
    But why don't they have the same rate of homicides in Virginia?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
    What they didn't tell you also is that he was a belligerent, troubled mentally unstable, hostile, threatening individual that was on the verge of being fired.
    Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    That makes a compelling argument for VA to have ERPOs.
    The news is reporting allegations of his unstable actions, but the official word from the city government was that was not true and he was an employee in good standing. They deny they knew about these incidents. I am sure that is to cover their butts...but this is why that is important. If you look at ERPOs that are already in place in other states, the people who can apply for an ERPO are family, LE, and in some states, mental health professionals, not employers. The remedy for employers is to fire the person and/or report them to LE which the city did not do.

And even if the reports of unstable behavior are true, which they probably are, most of them are alleged to have happened in the two weeks before the incident. That is hardly time for LE to get involved, establish a pattern of behavior, apply for an ERPO and the court to issue one. Also, he was a minority with no record. They would have tread carefully. I conclude that an ERPO would have not stopped this situation.
    gatorbait51 and spclopr8tr like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    The news is reporting allegations of his unstable actions, but the official word from the city government was that was not true and he was an employee in good standing. They deny they knew about these incidents. I am sure that is to cover their butts...but this is why that is important. If you look at ERPOs that are already in place in other states, the people who can apply for an ERPO are family, LE, and in some states, mental health professionals, not employers. The remedy for employers is to fire the person and/or report them to LE which the city did not do.

And even if the reports of unstable behavior are true, which they probably are, most of them are alleged to have happened in the two weeks before the incident. That is hardly time for LE to get involved, establish a pattern of behavior, apply for an ERPO and the court to issue one. Also, he was a minority with no record. They would have tread carefully. I conclude that an ERPO would have not stopped this situation.
    I agree with your assessment. I am familiar with the MD ERPO law, and as you cite, employers and co-workers are not listed as those with the standing to request an ERPO. As to the "official" assessment of his behavior, at least one co-worker was concerned enough to want to take her gun to work with her despite the prohibition by the city government to do so. I would find it inconceivable no one else observed similar behavior. Sadly we will never learn whether she might have been able to defend herself. And for the record, I am opposed to ERPOs and GFZs.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR
    GOA
    TFA-LAC
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links