Kudos to Texas DPS

Kudos to Texas DPS

This is a discussion on Kudos to Texas DPS within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday my Texas LTC arrived in the mail. I was surprised it arrived so quickly...it's not even been two months since we moved here, and ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Kudos to Texas DPS

Kudos to Texas DPS

Yesterday my Texas LTC arrived in the mail. I was surprised it arrived so quickly...it's not even been two months since we moved here, and only a few weeks since I submitted all the documentation, fingerprints, etc.

I was also pleasantly surprised that the process to get my Texas drivers license a few weeks ago was also relatively painless. DPS seems to have their act together.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

18 months in California, 3 weeks in Utah.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

She made mine right in front of me the day I applied. Took a pic, printed it and laminated it right on her desk. They would not even take my money since I am former law enforcement. Idaho was the same when I lived there. Same day service.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Even Orygun it only takes a few hours. As a combat vet I received mine on the spot. But my wife on the other hand received hers in 3 hours.

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Itís not always been this way. Took me about 4 months to get my CHL when I applied seven years ago.
    OldChap and busykngt like this.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

15 minutes in Alabama FWIW!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    2-3 weeks in TN
    halem1 likes this.

I guess itís all relative. Compared to the Land of Mu, Texas is supersonic.
    OldChap, Old Man and Pete63 like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

How long in FL depends a lot on how one applies. Fill out the paperwork and mailing the package in is the slowest and most expensive, often taking the full allotted 90 days if the office is busy. Making an appointment at a regional Dept of AG & CS office is much faster and they take prints and photos also. Military members get the fast lane. Some local tax collector offices also can process applications, but I don't know if that is any faster. They can charge a processing fee of a few bucks, where the regional offices don't.

I mailed mine at the height of the Obama panic and I think I got my license on about the 89th day.
    OldChap and sparkyfender like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The fastest I've seen was getting an out of state PA permit from Adams County. I got the approval letter two weeks to the day after I put the application in the mail. In PA, you have to get the permit in person. If I had driven up to Gettysburg the day after I got the letter, I would have had the permit in 15 days total.
    Old Man likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Texas DPS has come a long way. The first CHL's too 3-6 months. Today, I hear about 3 week turnaround for first time licenses. Renewals are 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. They're handling over a million licensees this year.
    Pete63 and Old Man like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

2-3 weeks in Georgia since they use a central production facility that the Probate Courts send the information to and then they mail it to you. Unless you live in DeKalb County which has lost numerous lawsuits because they can not understand the difference between shall issue and may issue......
    Pete63 and sparkyfender like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I guess itís all relative. Compared to the Land of Mu, Texas is supersonic.
    Quite a few things here in Texas are above average! Glad you're settling in. Welcome once again. Far superior to having someone from a state which wants to change our freedom here!
    10thmtn and Old Man like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

About 3 weeks in VA for the renewal. I just wish ours looked like something that was officially issued by the State versus something a 12 year old did in Photoshop.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    2-3 weeks in Georgia since they use a central production facility that the Probate Courts send the information to and then they mail it to you. Unless you live in DeKalb County which has lost numerous lawsuits because they can not understand the difference between shall issue and may issue......
    When I lived/moved there (Dekalb), I didn't have that issue, but maybe I was just lucky. I think it took about 4 weeks, which was OK with me. Biggest issue was driving all over Atlanta to take care of the paperwork!
    Last edited by Pete63; June 24th, 2019 at 04:29 PM.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links