CPL application question

CPL application question

This is a discussion on CPL application question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a little nervous to apply for my permit. I am working hard trying to get my life on track. I have made mistakes ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By A2seeker
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By 1942bull
  • 3 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By Havok
  • 1 Post By CreedDryrot

Thread: CPL application question

CPL application question

I am a little nervous to apply for my permit. I am working hard trying to get my life on track. I have made mistakes in the past and have been working on getting them fixed. The biggest one has to do with a certain Tax entity. I have started the ball rolling but it is going to take time to get that problem resolved. Will applying for concealed carry put me on their radar and cause problems for me before I am ready to deal with them.?

Pends on, what state are you in. Tax problems should be no problem but on the other hand if it included violence or DUI issues there may be significant problems.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Pends on, what state are you in. Tax problems should be no problem but on the other hand if it included violence or DUI issues there may be significant problems.

No violence or DUI or anything like that.
    msgt/ret likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

A felony tax problem could be a BIG problem.
    msgt/ret and gasmitty like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member
    I can say this the voice ofan expert, but a tax problem would be a civil violation unless you committed tax fraud, which would likely be a criminal violation. However, it would not be a violent criminal violation, and it might not be a felony. If you are charged with a felony at the state or federal level or have been convicted you have an uphill climb to get a license. Since a permit is state issued I suggest that you contact your state attorney general office and explain your situation to see if it will hamper your attempt to get a permit. Do not give them your name when you call. The other option and the best one is to pay for fifteen minutes with a gun lawyer and get some legal advice.

This forum has a lot of good folks who know a lot about gus and how to use them, but unless the person advising you knows your state's laws the adice is worth what you paid for it..
    Hoganbeg and Haywood like this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June 66 to February 68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

A good place to start here, https://www.handgunlaw.us/ start with your states CCW requirements and focus on the state statutes.
    Hoganbeg, RETSUPT99 and Pete63 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I would suggest contacting a lawyer in your state who specializes in these types of things.
    Haywood likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    I would apply and see what happens. Wringing your hands and gnashing your teeth on the internet will go nowhere. Unless you have an active tax warrant or have been adjudicated on a felony tax charge, all of that is immaterial.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Ideally, you should consult a lawyer. Asking a few quick questions isn't likely to cost you much, if anything. However, it seems unlikely that federal tax issues would interfere with obtaining a state permit, especially if you have not been charged with a crime. The only scenario where I can see it becoming an issue is if you are applying in an extremely anti-gun jurisdiction, like NJ, where they look for ANY reason to deny your application. However, a denial for that reason would be unlikely to stand up on appeal or in court if it came to that.

Sponsored Links