Went to DC

Went to DC

This is a discussion on Went to DC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This past weekend I went to DC and to be honest I will most likely never go back. I went with my Uncle who is ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: Went to DC

Went to DC

This past weekend I went to DC and to be honest I will most likely never go back. I went with my Uncle who is a Vietnam vet, his buddy he served with his two neighbors and my cousin. All of us were in the Marines except the one guy who was in the army. We had a good time and saw lots of things to include the changing of the guards at the tomb of the unknown soldier, Arlington Cemetery, and the Marine Corps Museum. Yes we did have a good time and made some good memories but I didn't like the fact that I couldn't carry my concealed pistol or a pocket knife. These two things are usually 99% of the time on me and I just felt naked without them. I left my usual carry pistol a Smith & Wesson 9mm Shield at my uncles house back in PA as I knew I would be restricted to have it at all the places we wanted to visit. I took my pocket knife with me and even tried to enter two of the places with it by mistake out of habit as it was clipped in my pocket, the security saw it and I had to walk it back to the car each time. I cant stand the fact that we as Americans are not allowed to protect ourselves at all times no matter when or where we are. Im also not one for being around soo many people in a strange unfamiliar area especially with no real way to defend myself if things went bad. So for those reasons I dont think I will be visiting it in the future unless things change. Anyone else ever visit DC and feel the same way?

I felt the same way about carrying when my wife and I visited D.C. last year. However, there is just so much to see, do, and learn that I'm anxious to go back. I'd really like to visit every few years if possible.
    usmc0811 and gatorbait51 like this.

Haven't felt that way and don't plan to on vacation. There are too many friendly, constitutional, freedom loving, places for me to visit.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    Haywood, OldChap, Pete63 and 7 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Loved it there. Brought lump in the throat, tears in the eyes. Was a humbling experience.
    Don't care whether I could carry at all, last thing on my mind.
    Like I said, was humbled.
    Every American and others, should go there at least once.
    OldChap, niks, duane_wade and 5 others like this.

flh
    We went over Memorial Day weekend , we got to see what we wanted to see for the most part , when we went to Arlington cemetery, I secured everything in the bike ...

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Been there many times armed only with my good looks and charm. I would love to go back.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

My wife and I visited DC for a week in the late '90s. We saw everything we could, including tours of the Congress and the White House. This was smack dab in the middle of the Lewinsky scandal, and while we were touring the White House I was under strict orders from the Mrs. not to make any comments whatsoever ("...if you say ANYTHING you'll be in so much trouble...")

One of my favorite memories was standing across the street from the Chinese embassy and talking into my wristwatch.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

I've only ever been once. Quite frankly, I wasn't prepared for how much stuff there is to see. I carried a pocket knife everywhere, but never carried a pistol....there were quite a few places I would have felt a bit more comfortable with a pistol. I'd probably go back just to see everything I missed the first time around, but only after seeing some other places first.

Esse quam videri
    duane_wade and gatorbait51 like this.

Sorry to wander, but after reading Tom Cotton's book on the Old Guard, I learned about what happens when a Sentinel (Tomb Guard) leaves the unit. This is a really interesting variation of what you usually see and well worth the watch.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    I use to live just outside of DC back in the 1960's. My father was stationed at Andrews AFB and retired there. Been to DC several times but haven't been back since 1970 even though I have a brother resting at Arlington cemetery. Other than that I don't have any great desire to go back. Besides, never enough money to do everything you want to do.
    OldChap, DZUS and gatorbait51 like this.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

I was born in DC and raised nearly my entire life in Virginia, my father's native state. I don't go into DC unless I have to for something. Been there many times in my youth but have no desire to go there nowadays.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    My wife and I visited DC for a week in the late '90s. We saw everything we could, including tours of the Congress and the White House. This was smack dab in the middle of the Lewinsky scandal, and while we were touring the White House I was under strict orders from the Mrs. not to make any comments whatsoever ("...if you say ANYTHING you'll be in so much trouble...")

One of my favorite memories was standing across the street from the Chinese embassy and talking into my wristwatch.
    So saying "I'm KNEELING to tie my shoelace" wasn't allowed? :)
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I lived there for more than 40 years, and the city was always uptight. Then 9/11 happened, and it got even worse. I started getting chased off the steps of the Capitol, away from the Washington Monument, and out of the Metro (subway) because I was carrying a tripod. Taking a camera into an airport got a lot of unwarranted attention, too.

I can understand the security people at federal buildings being wary, but the attitude crept into the citizenry as well. More than once I got hassled by nobodies for having a big black camera slung over my shoulder while walking on the street. Another time a guy in line at the car wash got out of his car and asked me what I was doing with a camera and why I was taking pictures of him (I wasn't, just reviewing photos that I had already taken). He didn't seem to mind the video cameras on the roof of the car wash, though.

So glad I was able to escape that attitude.

The Mall and the war memorials are wondrous, and I'm glad you got to see them in your lifetime. IMO, it took way too long for the WWII, Korea and Vietnam ones to get built.

I carried a nice, heavy metal space pen when last I was in DC.
    If I went again, I’d have a “walking cane” in hand. A 36 inch stick has many uses besides walking.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

I lived there about 5 years ago - 4 blocks from the Capitol. It's a bit of a weird place outside of visiting the usual stuff. You need a good week to take it all in. The first three months I had done about everything there was to do. Lunch breaks I would go through Air and Space. I probably did that a dozen times. I used to run around the mall. Then at some point everything got old and I couldn't stand the place. Traffic was insane. Roads were horrible. Everything was expensive, and a majority of people I didnt find much in common with. I eventually manged to hook up with a few locals, but the majority of my time I spent alone which I didn't like too much.

My immediate coworkers were all very left leaning, and I quickly learned we disagreed on just about everything. The first time a few co workers took me out (this was up around Reston Va) didn't go quite like I would have imagined. After Happy hour I stayed for a bit at this place and met some people I thought seemed cool. The bartender there pulled me over and asked me if I was "from here". She told me the people I was socializing with - were a group of swingers. She told me she didn't think I was into that - which I wasn't. They sort of had their section in the bar and were there every Friday.

As far as firearms, I didn't meet many people who were interested. The NRA HQ and range isn't far from there but I rarely went down there. I went to the same range where the Navy Yard shooter hung out. Maryland is just as bad though when it comes to guns. Go over to West Va though - entirely different. There was a cool gun shop in Harper's Ferry I'd to visit now and then.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links