An idea

An idea

This is a discussion on An idea within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new here. If this has been discussed already, please disregard. Whenever I see a sign on a building saying something like "No weapons allowed ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: An idea

An idea

I'm new here. If this has been discussed already, please disregard. Whenever I see a sign on a building saying something like "No weapons allowed including concealed carry permitted weapons" I cringe because these are the preferred target zones for mass murderers and the posters are not giving complete information. I've given thought to printing up some stickers to help them out as a public service with a little additional info like: "Warning: Mass Murderer Preferred Zone" or perhaps "Warning: Slaughter Zone. No one will be able to protect you." Maybe if enough of these signs got such an addition it would become a thing and help the oblivious think a bit. As to the legality, it could be an issue but maybe it could be argued as rightful civil disobedience. Just wondering what others think about a possible campaign like this.
    CG11 and GpTom like this.

Fortunately in Florida, such signs are few and far between and have no legal bearing anyhow. Going around slapping your own stickers on business property can be charged as vandalism.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member
    I agree with @OldVet . All that would happen is you would get a citation for defacing private property. I have never seen a “no gun” sign on any property in my area. In PA those signs are meaningless. If a property owner asks you to leave the property you will face a trespass charge if you refuse.

Some time back I read a post in a forum by a fellow who carried in an area where the signs were posted occasionally. He has some cards printed up that explained that he would not patronize the business because of the restriction. He handed them out whenever he came across such a sign. I thought that was a neat idea, but I cannot find any business near me with a no gun sign.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    I like the idea of the cards as well. It is a reasonable attempt to communicate with the business owner without being too confrontational.
    OldChap likes this.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Agree with the cards. You can easily print them up on the computer. There's only three such business in the area, the mall, a LGS, and a commercial electrical/plumbing supplier. NONE is legally posted, too small, and the mall has it a ground level NEXT to the door. I don't go to that LGS or the mall. I have no choice for the commercial supplier, so leave it in the car.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danphil View Post
    I'm new here. If this has been discussed already, please disregard. Whenever I see a sign on a building saying something like "No weapons allowed including concealed carry permitted weapons" I cringe because these are the preferred target zones for mass murderers and the posters are not giving complete information. I've given thought to printing up some stickers to help them out as a public service with a little additional info like: "Warning: Mass Murderer Preferred Zone" or perhaps "Warning: Slaughter Zone. No one will be able to protect you." Maybe if enough of these signs got such an addition it would become a thing and help the oblivious think a bit. As to the legality, it could be an issue but maybe it could be argued as rightful civil disobedience. Just wondering what others think about a possible campaign like this.
    If someone puts a sticker on or otherwise defaces my property, I'll do everything I can to see it prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
    PEF, Rockymonster, AzQkr and 2 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Can't believe no one that has posted so far hasn't mentioned it, but handgunlaw.us has a link to downloadable and printable PDFs that say "No Guns = No Money". The idea is that you leave them at businesses that have "no guns allowed" signs. A direct link to the file is here.

I think the cards are an okay idea and are a start in the right direction, but are maybe a bit too much "gun-picture-centric". Anti-gun shopowners wouldn't care what type of gun appeared on the card at all, since in their view probably all guns are the same: Very bad and scary, no matter their color or shape.

I think it would be better if the back of the card stated the reason why the card was left in the first place. There must be some wordsmiths out in DC land that can succinctly state the correct message without being dismissive, condescending, or insulting to the potential recipient. The goal would be to for them to garner a welcoming acceptance of responsible concealed carriers in their establishment.
    cal44 and GpTom like this.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    I gotta tell you that I like the way that you think. Another idea would be for people to sue when these signs are posted and there is an incident. Good second post I think you will be a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    ...There's only three such business in the area, the mall, a LGS, and a commercial electrical/plumbing supplier. ....
    So... We'll sell them to you, but don't carry them in here...No thanks. I wouldn't go there either.
    Lone_Gun likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danphil View Post

The "civil disobedience" argument is fast becoming a trope used to justify unlawfully infringing other people's rights. If a business does not want carriers in its store, why should it have to deal with paying its employees to clean up stickers on its property?

You can always disarm before buying the product or service, of just find another provider.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

I sometimes wonder what the legal ramifications would be for a victim with a carry permit that got assaulted in a business with those no gun signs. I know that for me, I mght take a few punches for cosmetic appearances for a potential lawsuit.

I seriously doubt a card is going to convince an anti-gun business to take down their signs, more like "Mission Accomplished."

Think about it. A tiny percentage of customers carry. A tiny percentage of that minute percentage may wish to enter the business on any given day. Only a portion of that dwindling percentage will bother to "protest" with a card, most choosing to just leave the gun behind or simply go elsewhere.

Any business that is operating on a make-or-break level based on that very limited number of lost customers is unlikely to survive anyhow.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

This attitude kills me.

If I want something, I'll go in any store I want and get it. If there's a sign, I don't carry. Who cares?
    If there's a movie I want to see and the theater says no guns, I'll go see the movie. The actor doesn't like guns? Who cares?
    If I want to listen to music, I don't check to see if the musician is pro or anti-gun. I listen to it. If I like it, I'll buy it. Who cares?
    If there's a knife I like and somebody says the brand said something or other (maybe) anti-gun, I'll buy it. Who cares?

This gets juvenile and old imo. Who cares if you take your business elsewhere? Go ahead. Not enough people carry to make any difference to anybody that sells anything, except guns. Sheesh.
    AzQkr and Tstone like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If someone puts a sticker on or otherwise defaces my property, I'll do everything I can to see it prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
    Grump......
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

A GROUCHY German is a Sour Kraut....

Distinguished Member
    Cards perhaps, but the stickers would likely cause more harm to you and the cause than good. You might get a reaction from an owner as Mike stated. Frankly, I think it’s a waste of energy, as the owner won’t care and you’re not likely to reach many folks with your message (IMHO).....
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

A GROUCHY German is a Sour Kraut....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links