One carry gun - Page 3

One carry gun

This is a discussion on One carry gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm starting to carry only my CZ PCR or my CZ Shadowline Compact only AIWB basically the same firearm with the exact manual of arms ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: One carry gun

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    I'm starting to carry only my CZ PCR or my CZ Shadowline Compact only AIWB basically the same firearm with the exact manual of arms DA/SA. Heck I'm even thinking of selling my 1911 as its starting to get a lot of shelf time. Why?? Its what I like what I'm comfortable with and that's good enough for me. Every one do what's best for you!!! Oh and your all wrong but me. Especially Graydude.
    PhaedrusIV, graydude and Struckat like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Some of his points have merit--for some. His reasoning for his points is faulty. I think his assumption that all are confused with any change is in error. He may have an issue changing guns or carry manner/locations, but that does not equate to all others having those same issues.

I carry different actions in different calibers on different days. I carry all of them that same way because I am right handed and don't pocket/ankle carry. The rest you can guess.
    glockman10mm, Pete63 and ETXhiker like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    I'm starting to carry only my CZ PCR or my CZ Shadowline Compact only AIWB basically the same firearm with the exact manual of arms DA/SA. Heck I'm even thinking of selling my 1911 as its starting to get a lot of shelf time. Why?? Its what I like what I'm comfortable with and that's good enough for me. Every one do what's best for you!!!

Oh and your all wrong but me. Especially Graydude.
    Yeah, him. He just won't fall in line, will he ???
    Rabbit212, G26Raven and Pete63 like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Some of his points have merit--
    Absolutely. If I could find one gun to fit all my carry requirements, I’d be happy. Bored, but happy!
    Pete63 likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Correct me if i am wrong...So your saying you wouldn't advise switching from a Semi to Revolver?
    Define big gun in your opinion ...A double stack 9/40/45 or maybe a single stack 9/40/45 and would you switch up guns from what you normally carry
    to a smaller gun in a smaller caliber or would you carry a medium to small sized gun ( Depending on how you define it).

If you were to advise me...How would you do it?
    For carry purposes I would try to stay within the same manual of arms. Single or double stack matters not. Big Gun to me is G17 to G21 sized, for example.

I carry Glocks even though they aren't beautiful and aren't nearly as fun to shoot as many of my 1911s, Sigs, CZs, and HKs. For self-defense purposes I would try to stay in the exact same manual of arms regardless of caliber and size.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

I own a variety of handguns from different manufacturers (S&W, Sig, Colt, Ruger, Kimber, Bersa, Para, Walther) with different manuals of arms. I have used each one as an EDC using different holsters and a variety of different carry positions over the years to find what works best for me. I even went through a phase of carrying different guns for different occasions and/or how I was dressed. Through each gun/holster/carry position combination, I trained 1-2 times a week using 100+ rounds each session. Somehow, no matter what or how I was carrying I never reflexively reached for the wrong place or gun. I do, however, reflexively sweep the 1911 safety of every gun (even the strikers) on the draw.

Through the years I found myself reaching for my Kimber SIS Ultra (3.5") most often to EDC then talk myself into carrying something else more "appropriate." Finally, I decided to just go with my first choice and EDC the SIS every day. It's just like me...old & comfortable.

As to the article in question, it's "drivelfluff" designed to make us think the author is an expert.
    Rabbit212 likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    I'm starting to carry only my CZ PCR or my CZ Shadowline Compact only AIWB basically the same firearm with the exact manual of arms DA/SA. Heck I'm even thinking of selling my 1911 as its starting to get a lot of shelf time. Why?? Its what I like what I'm comfortable with and that's good enough for me. Every one do what's best for you!!! Oh and your all wrong but me. Especially Graydude.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Yeah, him. He just won't fall in line, will he ???
    Noted.

(Thanks for the laugh this morning.... spent the past few evenings at the hospital with a friend whose mom is in ICU, a little levity does help.)
    Rabbit212, PhaedrusIV and Pete63 like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Now that doesn't just apply to a author...That applies in a lot of places.
    All from throwing out a opinion or perspective on something.
    Everyone has opinions, it's just a matter of how it's presented. I can be convinced to change through a well articulated analysis, which it seems the author did. But he also came across as a bit full of himself with the implication others should just do as he says because he's an expert, and that's a flag to me to remain skeptical. He probably just had to make a deadline and get something written, so it didn't get the editing that would have made his position more convincing.
    Cornhusker95 and PhaedrusIV like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

One carry gun
    That's me.

But the author of the OP's article wouldn't approve. He advocates the largest you can reasonably conceal. Not for me. I'm simply not gonna dress around a gun.

I carry a S&W 642 in my right front pocket; my EDC for all occasions.
    Rabbit212 likes this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Interesting article and I agree in theory with much of what he has to say.

I wish I could carry my Sig P229 AIWB every day, all day, but there are some days I cannot. At least two days a week I operate in an NPE where with what I wear, the Sig is simply not going to work. On those days, I pocket carry my Sig P938, and when I am wearing long pants, I have a G26 on my ankle.

When I put my hand in my pocket and grip the P938 I know, and have practiced, that I must disengage the pistol from the holster and release the safety once it clears my pocket, if I must draw the pistol. Since neither the P229 nor the Glock have a safety, using either of them is similar enough for me that it does not concern me.
    Cornhusker95 likes this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

I own many guns, but carry very few.

Distinguished Member
    @Cornhusker95 provided the quoted link that mostly explains why I EDC only one gun except on rare occasions. That rare occasion is when I have to deeply conceal the pistol. In tha past year I have not had to do that but I keep the RM380 in case I do have to go to deep concealment.

I believe that consistency in an important factor of preparation. Those who served remember learning by the numbers led to high efficiency through repetition. The practice sealed that learning into our reflex systems until we could execute the task automatically without hesitation or fumbling. We learned through an age old training method that had proven its success in peace and war.

I CC my EDC at 3:30 and OWB. I always to that. Drawing has become a rote and fast operation for me. I never have to adjust the process of drawing. My hand knows where the gun is, and knows the feel and anatomy of the gun. When I draw the gun my hand is in reliably position for presenting and firing my EDC. Noting changes in the necessary moves including the gun.

I use 147 gr 9mm Winchester Train and Defend ammo. The training round is the same weight and design as the defensive round. It even has a dimpled bullet nose to achieve aerodynamics similar the JHP defensive round. Why? Consistency. If I load a magazine with a Radom insertion of both round I cannot tell the difference between them whine fired, and the both perform the same at the range. Consistency matters.

I make no claim to being correct in such matters. I just know what I do is correct for me.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Interesting article and I agree in theory with much of what he has to say.

I wish I could carry my Sig P229 AIWB every day, all day, but there are some days I cannot. At least two days a week I operate in an NPE where with what I wear, the Sig is simply not going to work. On those days, I pocket carry my Sig P938, and when I am wearing long pants, I have a G26 on my ankle.

When I put my hand in my pocket and grip the P938 I know, and have practiced, that I must disengage the pistol from the holster and release the safety once it clears my pocket, if I must draw the pistol. Since neither the P229 nor the Glock have a safety, using either of them is similar enough for me that it does not concern me.
    Well i give you credit ...You managed to find something worthwhile in it...Rather you agree with it as a whole or not.
    G26Raven likes this.

VIP Member
    Pretty much everything is an absolute with the author. My way or you are doing it wrong. Kydex holsters only made by two companies are the only thing that works. We should all be training for warfare with terrorists, and we should be doing this every day. Use the same gun and carry rig everyday whether you are going to the gym, the pool, work, the movie theater, a white tie dinner, or a visit to the nude beach. You never know when or where you are going to have to engage those 5-6 terrorists carrying vest bombs and AK-47s.

Someone mentioned "hogwash". I think that sums it up well.
    G26Raven, PhaedrusIV and graydude like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

VIP Member
    I like the idea of one gun for every single situation. Of course, it's just an idea.
    Cornhusker95 likes this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links