Are pocket/sub compact guns still a viable option in the age of mass shooters - Page 3

Are pocket/sub compact guns still a viable option in the age of mass shooters

This is a discussion on Are pocket/sub compact guns still a viable option in the age of mass shooters within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WebleyHunter The average basement buffoon does one or both of the following when confronted with return fire: - ends the attack. - ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: Are pocket/sub compact guns still a viable option in the age of mass shooters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    The average basement buffoon does one or both of the following when confronted with return fire:

- ends the attack.

- self terminates.

A mag dump barrage out of a Beretta 950 would likely be all thats needed to break the assault.

Sure, you COULD be facing that mythical ex-Spetsnaz operator who we seem to think is the typical spree shooter, not the loser Incel who bought his gun last week based off his favorite video game platform.
    These average basement buffoons are getting off thirty rounds in twenty seconds, wounding and killing dozens.

That Marine veteran in California shot up the bar, and then waited in ambush for the cops to come through the door.

Good luck with the .25 acp.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

My snub isn't meant for taking on a shooter with an assault rifle.

We each have to decide what to prepare for and carry daily to be ready for it.
    Wavygravy likes this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    These average basement buffoons are getting off thirty rounds in twenty seconds, wounding and killing dozens.

That Marine veteran in California shot up the bar, and then waited in ambush for the cops to come through the door.

Have there been exceptions- Yes, but not many. Even the ex-Marine had his back to somebody.

I would much prefer people carried ANY weapon and had the mental fortitude to take the shot(s), if available, than to be predestined for failure by the belief than NOTHING can be done by victims to stop a rifle armed spree shooter.
    Enjoying my daily viewing of the "love has no labels" SJW clickbait on DC.com.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

When shopping at Walmart, remember that even serial killers need to buy toilet paper.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Have there been exceptions- Yes, but not many. Even the ex-Marine had his back to somebody.

I would much prefer people carried ANY weapon and had the mental fortitude to take the shot(s), if available, than to be predestined for failure by the belief than NOTHING can be done by victims to stop a rifle armed spree shooter.
    I agree, people shooting back is the only way to stop these guys. Unfortunately, relatively few are equipped and prepared to do that.
    M1911A1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    My snub isn't meant for taking on a shooter with an assault rifle.

We each have to decide what to prepare for and carry daily to be ready for it.
    Right, only a rifle is meant for taking on a rifle. But is it an obscenity to think you could get a good shot off at distance with your revolver if need be? I mean what if you need to fight your way back to your family because you separated in the store for some reason, which happens more than people think. You know the whole “I forget to get the “blah”, I’ll go back and get it while you get the “blah”” type situation. My question wasn’t if your carry gun was meant to take on a rifle, nobody’s is, but more if you have confidence in distance if need be against a shooter who has that advantage on you. I have shot moving objects at 25 yards and know how hard it is with a handgun. But it is also not as hard as you think with a red dot which I’m thinking is my next transition with self defense handguns. I think I’m finally on that bandwagon.

👍

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjones45 View Post
    Right, only a rifle is meant for taking on a rifle. But is it an obscenity to think you could get a good shot off at distance with your revolver if need be? I mean what if you need to fight your way back to your family because you separated in the store for some reason, which happens more than people think. You know the whole “I forget to get the “blah”, I’ll go back and get it while you get the “blah”” type situation. My question wasn’t if your carry gun was meant to take on a rifle, nobody’s is, but more if you have confidence in distance if need be against a shooter who has that advantage on you. I have shot moving objects at 25 yards and know how hard it is with a handgun. But it is also not as hard as you think with a red dot which I’m thinking is my next transition with self defense handguns. I think I’m finally on that bandwagon.
    Have you run red dots before? There is a bit of a learning curve with them. They aren't the complete game changers that many believe, and are not without their shortcomings.

VIP Member
    👍
    I don't think that one showed up as planned.

I don't think that one showed up as planned.
    Yeah- I was wondering why I had earned an explicative response to my statement.
    Enjoying my daily viewing of the "love has no labels" SJW clickbait on DC.com.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

When shopping at Walmart, remember that even serial killers need to buy toilet paper.

Have you run red dots before? There is a bit of a learning curve with them. They aren't the complete game changers that many believe, and are not without their shortcomings.
    Yes I have. For me they give me better accuracy and consistency at distance at slightly quicker speeds. Where I would have to work on it is up closer since I shoot a bit faster with iron sights at the shorter distances. The only reason I haven’t went red dot already is because of the extra bulk the dot gives the pistol. But now they are making them smaller and I’m seeing some holsters that are making them pretty easy to conceal. Learning curve, yes but it worth it in my opinion. I went to a red dot on my rifles a while ago and couldn’t be more happy.

This is common belief. People feel they are indefensible against a spree shooter armed with a rifle. I willing to bet somebody in that Walmart and Dayton bar district had a firearm and just decided to book it instead of fight back, which I’m not condemning because it’s a personal choice. I mean saving your own bacon is more important than dying for some total strangers. It just sucks when those total strangers are kids and moms. Unfortunately priorities are priorities. There’s a old saying I remember hearing a long time ago that’s the awful truth and it goes something like this “The coward lives to tell how the brave man got killed”. This is true on so many levels. I’m just so ready to hear stories of brave people fighting back sending these mass shooters where they belong, Hell

My snub has a Crimson Trace laser. I can hit what I'm aiming at within a reasonable distance. And if a good shot presented itself on a murderous terrorist, I'd take it if I was in position to do that.

But my first response would be to assist my family in getting away. I'm neither a LEO nor a hired security guard.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

VIP Member
    My entire active shooter response philosophy emanated originally from the concern that one would show up at our synagogue during services at some point. In that scenario, there is no escaping with my family to safety, putting concern for my own well-being over everyone else's, or shooting only as a last resort. Given the layout of our structure, there is no ALICE, there is no wait for the cavalry, no slowing the bad guy down, no displaying my piece in the belief that a shooter will stop as soon as he sees my gun, no confidence is his inability to kill us all in the forty-five seconds or so it will take, no improvised weaponry, no mass rush on the shooter by congregants, and no hoping that someone else stops it. There is only complete success on my part in the few seconds I will have to respond, or a building full of dead people, me included, a minute later when the shooter is back in his vehicle.

All my training, mindset, gear selection and advocacy have basis in those realities.

The thousands of dollars for training, travel, gear and practice were spent with those realities at the forefront.

Until I can carry an AR pistol on a sling without absolutely freaking out the general public, and getting drawn down on by every cop that sees me, I'll stick with my pocket pistols.
    Cover, concealment, waiting for your opportunity, and going at it with everything you have once it presents itself is about all you can do in a mass shooting situation if you are unable to escape.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddrew View Post
    Until I can carry an AR pistol on a sling without absolutely freaking out the general public, and getting drawn down on by every cop that sees me, I'll stick with my pocket pistols.
    Cover, concealment, waiting for your opportunity, and going at it with everything you have once it presents itself is about all you can do in a mass shooting situation if you are unable to escape.
    AR or pocket pistol...interesting dichotomy.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links