The .380 round for SD - Page 10

The .380 round for SD

This is a discussion on The .380 round for SD within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldChap The real world list of actual events indicates a significant percentage of gun owners who have to use a gun for ...

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree593Likes

Thread: The .380 round for SD

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    The real world list of actual events indicates a significant percentage of gun owners who have to use a gun for self defense are just regular Indians. Have we bought into the grabbers arguments that some guns are far more dangerous/lethal than others? I hope not.

I saw people killed with all manner of calibers. There isn't any way to even tell reliably what they were shot with outside the ME's table, that is pistol injuries. I saw people shot multiple times, I saw victims with single wounds. Statistically everything from 22 through 357 Mag. For every caliber, there were victims killed with a single shot to a vital area, and non-homicides with multiple gunshots to non-vital areas.

Place your shots and stop fretting about carrying a "too small" caliber.
    I am perfectly comfortable with what i carry....I don't frown on anybodies choice of carry....I have my reasons and they have theirs.
    We get to offended on here when someone has a different opinion than our own.
    I prefer a 9 as my smallest caliber...I am not offended by the crowd who say's..."I would never carry a gun in a caliber that doesn't start with at least a 4"
    Wavygravy and OldChap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Maybe it's partly the "mine's bigger than yours" male body part overcompensation factor as well. Heheheh. Let the flames begin....
    Well...If that were true...We wouldn't be on page 10 with 130+ posts...We would all be carrying Desert Eagles.
    You don't believe in Toxic Masculinity like the California Gov do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    I am perfectly comfortable with what i carry....I don't frown on anybodies choice of carry....I have my reasons and they have theirs.
    We get to offended on here when someone has a different opinion than our own.
    I prefer a 9 as my smallest caliber...I am not offended by the crowd who say's..."I would never carry a gun in a caliber that doesn't start with at least a 4"
    I agree. The only truly amazing thing is the incredible lengths many will go to to give the appearance they're not engaging in a caliber war.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I agree. The only truly amazing thing is the incredible lengths many will go to to give the appearance they're not engaging in a caliber war.
    I figured by now somebody would start a pro .380 thread...We are all strong headed in what we believe and i have yet to
    see anyone say...."You know what... You changed my opinion on the subject"...I am sure someone has but i haven't seen it.
    It's all good fun for me none the less
    OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Well...If that were true...We wouldn't be on page 10 with 130+ posts...We would all be carrying Desert Eagles.
    You don't believe in Toxic Masculinity like the California Gov do you?
    You mean you don't carry a Desert Eagle? What's wrong with you?

Toxic masculinity? No, not as far as I know, I don't believe in that. I don't feel the need to prove anything to anybody, and don't much care who does what. Except toxic stupidity. That does tend to bother me.
    OldChap likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Toxic masculinity? No, not as far as I know, I don't believe in that. I don't feel the need to prove anything to anybody, and don't much care who does what. Except toxic stupidity. That does tend to bother me.
    They are owned by Kahr....Hmmmmm....

DG

I only carry the .380 when my Wildey Survivor .475 Magnum is in the shop.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I stopped obsessing, long ago, about the nth degree of difference between relatively similar defensive cartridges. I reckon that .380 would be much like standard-pressure .38 Special, so, is an effective minimum cartridge that I would want to use for defensive purposes.

One of my hands has not aged as well as the other, which has caused some changes in the pistols I use. Shooting a G19, for example, started causing pain, and very-visible swelling, in my right hand and wrist, in late 2017. This effectively ended the utility of the “compact 9mm” category of pistols, for me*. (Larger, heavier, duty-sized pistols, firing relatively mild cartridges, remain tolerable, for now.) This has caused me to shift attention to locked-breech .380 pistols, such as the G42 and, perhaps, the Shield EZ. I have a G42, and may well be about to add a Shield EZ. We shall see how this sorts itself out. (An alternative would to shift to lefty primary, perhaps with handedness**-neutral revolvers.)

I doubt that .380 ACP, or standard-pressure .38 Special, would be able to effectively penetrate into such things such as motor vehicles, and equivalent cover. So, there are times I will want to have something with more power, than .380 ACP. Being retired from LEO-ing has, thankfully, reduced my perceived need for penetrating opponents’ cover.

*I had stopped using any .40 S&W pistol, in 2015, when I retired my P229R, as soon as my chief authorized 9mm as an alternative duty cartridge. Being able to transition to a “kinder, gentler” G17 duty pistol extended my career.

**I am, actually, a natural left-hander, but, unusually, right-armed. Drawing a weapon, especially a heavy L-Frame, from the then-mandated low-slung duty rig, felt natural enough righty, and was a reason I decided to carry at 0300, in 1983. I found the long-stroke DA trigger pull, which I was learning, for the first time, to be left/right-neutral.
    Holmes375, G-man* and OldChap like this.

No one has said they don't want to be shot with a .380 yet???

Seriously you guys (and gals)...

I'm disappointed.

graydude likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    No one has said they don't want to be shot with a .380 yet???

Seriously you guys (and gals)...

I'm disappointed.

I know I don't. Hey, there's a new thread waiting to happen. How many of you gunslingers here have actually been shot once or multiple times? I have, By Gum.
    kerberos and BamaT like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I know I don't. Hey, there's a new thread waiting to happen. How many of you gunslingers here have actually been shot once or multiple times? I have, By Gum.
    I've been shot MULTIPLE TIMES...

with spitwads and BB's... does that count?

Seriously though, if you were shot in service to the USA (Purple Heart?) I thank you muchly!
    Wavygravy, OldChap and BamaT like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    To add a bit, after my above post: If I felt compelled to engage an active, mass-casualty-event shooter, across 50 or so yards of a Whatever-Mart parking lot, with a realistically-concealable firearm, I would rather have a GP100, with 4” or longer barrel, and adjustable sights, loaded with full-Magnum-level JHPs, than any other handgun.

This does not mean that I always carry one of my three GP100 revolvers, that meet the above description, but that the better weapon, in my hands, gives me more tactical options, in a wider variety of circumstances. When I choose to carry a G42, on the other end of the scale, my tactical-response options are fewer. Every time I step outside the front door of our home, I choose my salvation.

I specified a revolver, because I shoot a suitably-gripped medium/large-frame revolver more consistently better than anything out there, the pre-Hogue factory GP100 grip is most suitable, my eyes do better with high-profile sights, and, the .357 Magnum shoots quite flat, for a handgun round, with reasonable recoil. (My days of abusing my hands, with big-bore Magnums, fired from revolvers too large for my K/L/GP100-sized hands, ended with the Eighties.)

I can shoot a 1911 as well as such a 4” GP100 or K/L revolver, on a good day. Not all days are good days. I have shot a P229, at least once, up to the level I could shoot a suitable revolver, or 1911, but, that, too, was on a good day.
    G-man*, OldChap and BamaT like this.

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I dont buy into the bullet technology argument. The laws of physics still apply. Give me velocity and mass.
    Mike1956, kerberos and G-man* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    I dont buy into the bullet technology argument. The laws of physics still apply. Give me velocity and mass.
    Well, yeah, OK.
    But it's nice to know that your speedy, massive bullet will also expand within its, um, target.

And then there's that arthritis issue: Some of us (well, me) can no longer shoot something speedy and massive.
    I had to give up my .45 carry guns, and make do with a .380.
    It's nice to know that my slow, small .380 bullets will expand as required, since it's all that I've got.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

VIP Member
    Expansion is seriously over-rated, IMO.
    Wavygravy, Holmes375 and G-man* like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links