The .380 round for SD - Page 13

The .380 round for SD

This is a discussion on The .380 round for SD within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It’s a very humorous thread to say the least. I suspectvfor for the most part everyone has their points. I carry anything and everything that ...

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree594Likes

Thread: The .380 round for SD

It’s a very humorous thread to say the least.

I suspectvfor for the most part everyone has their points. I carry anything and everything that meets my needs. I can run a small pocketable gun as well as most can a service size.
    And, I’d say that most who feel better about larger caliber are probably better off going with something that makes up for their not feeling adequate with a smaller sidearm.

Because thats what it basically boils down to; feelings. Everything else is just subjective hyperbole.

You may carry on, lol
    forester58, SatCong and M1911A1 like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Can't believe grown men would use a fmj bullet over an expanding design . Even if the expanded bullet does not expand much it does more damage than a fmj but give todays bullet designs like hst and range t series bullets .

forester58 Sound like you might be one of those shoot quick and hope kind of guys when it comes to Hunting !! Most trail a lot of deer ? A quality expanding bullet when placed properly does not damage meat that your going to eat at handgun velocitys . I've used 170gr sp in a 357mag at 1400fps on deer , well hit too with a high on the heart and both lugs but that deer did not drop like when a 240gr 44mag hp at slightly higher velocity when shoot in the same area. . No eatable meat lost and I watched the deer hit the ground . Still a 180gr 21bn swc worked well on hogs but bullets hit the shoulder or head will bring down a large hog .

Any how when talking about a 380acp , not really any great options here . Just keep pulling the trigger to there is not more threat or your no more threat !!

I've used my personal defense 40sw loads 155gr gd at 1300fps and my EDC on a couple deer that show up under me over the years while sitting in a tree stand when they show up under me . Both deer fall ether in place or with in 50 or 60 feet . Both shots paced thru 17+ of tissue expending well but lung and or heart damage along with some bone .

Not going to debate the 380 as its a 380 after all special when carried in some micro sized pistol . I find no reason to carry a 380acp when I already carry a 40 or 45 with todays find bullet choices I use those fmj on the range only .

BUt since this sorry tread was about the 380acp and to keep whiny wavygravy happy !! If a 380 was my only choice for a handgun do to other choices being illegal make it a bersa thunder plus with 15+1 and bullets ??? No idea . But until that happens I'll carry a 9mm or a 40sw or a 45 acp for personal defense . HA
    Condescending works when there’s no substance
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

I don't know if the PF-9 would be my first choice, but I wouldn't rule it out. And it depends what you're comparing it to. I'd rather shoot it with the PF-9 than the P3AT. I'd rather shoot it with a P365, G43, or Shield than the PF-9

BTW I hadn't heard of this before. Looks interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
    I'll bet trying to run a wizard drill with a PF-9 would be a real eye-opener for a lot of people. And not in a good way.
    OD* and M1911A1 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'm definitely giving that wizard drill a try next time I go to the range. I'll try it with my Kahr CW 380 in a pocket holster and whatever carry gun I happen to be carrying that day.
    OD* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    I don't know if the PF-9 would be my first choice, but I wouldn't rule it out. And it depends what you're comparing it to. I'd rather shoot it with the PF-9 than the P3AT. I'd rather shoot it with a P365, G43, or Shield than the PF-9

BTW I hadn't heard of this before. Looks interesting

Hackathorn is talking a little smack here. Any of those stages are easy to pass with a pocket gun. Hell, on the first stage by the time he drew and got off one shot, I’d had two in his brain housing group.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

The issue, as brought up by Talldog is whether that drill would be harder with a subcompact 9mm than with a .380 (assuming pocket gun.) To my mind the answer would be no, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually easier.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Hackathorn is talking a little smack here. Any of those stages are easy to pass with a pocket gun. Hell, on the first stage by the time he drew and got off one shot, I’d had two in his brain housing group.
    G-man* likes this.

The irony is that the 380 was designed by JMB himself to be a citizen self defense cartridge, unlike the 9mm and 45 which were designed primarily for military use.

So JMB was a genius...except for the 380...
    Wavygravy, G-man*, Cuda66 and 2 others like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Distinguished Member
    Hey, 10thmtn -- quit "whining." That's my department.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Hey, 10thmtn -- quit "whining." That's my department.
    Wavygravy and 10thmtn like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

I went to the range today for "9mm day." Only took my G26 and my G48. I was OK with the 48 (221 rounds), but the 26 really beat up my hands, which are still stiff several hours later. I put it away after 110 rounds. This has been coming on with the 26 for the past year with the arthritis and declining grip strength, and is why my future is .380. That 26 is the best carry gun I've ever owned, but I'm probably going to give it to my (younger) brother-in-law. Any gun that I can't practice a lot with is no good to me.

You know, I’m still wondering...why doesn’t Glock start making the 25 and 28 here in the US?

I would think there would be enough of a market for a 15 and 10 round .380 to justify the cost of setting up production, since the hard part (development) has already been done...
    G-man* likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Wizard drill is irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Can't believe grown men would use a fmj bullet over an expanding design . Even if the expanded bullet does not expand much it does more damage than a fmj but give todays bullet designs like hst and range t series bullets .

forester58 Sound like you might be one of those shoot quick and hope kind of guys when it comes to Hunting !! Most trail a lot of deer ? A quality expanding bullet when placed properly does not damage meat that your going to eat at handgun velocitys . I've used 170gr sp in a 357mag at 1400fps on deer , well hit too with a high on the heart and both lugs but that deer did not drop like when a 240gr 44mag hp at slightly higher velocity when shoot in the same area. . No eatable meat lost and I watched the deer hit the ground . Still a 180gr 21bn swc worked well on hogs but bullets hit the shoulder or head will bring down a large hog .

Any how when talking about a 380acp , not really any great options here . Just keep pulling the trigger to there is not more threat or your no more threat !!

I've used my personal defense 40sw loads 155gr gd at 1300fps and my EDC on a couple deer that show up under me over the years while sitting in a tree stand when they show up under me . Both deer fall ether in place or with in 50 or 60 feet . Both shots paced thru 17+ of tissue expending well but lung and or heart damage along with some bone .

Not going to debate the 380 as its a 380 after all special when carried in some micro sized pistol . I find no reason to carry a 380acp when I already carry a 40 or 45 with todays find bullet choices I use those fmj on the range only .

BUt since this sorry tread was about the 380acp and to keep whiny wavygravy happy !! If a 380 was my only choice for a handgun do to other choices being illegal make it a bersa thunder plus with 15+1 and bullets ??? No idea . But until that happens I'll carry a 9mm or a 40sw or a 45 acp for personal defense . HA
    Well, I was not talking of using hardcast for hunting if you took the time to read my post instead of puffing your chest and trying to invalidate my man card. I use expanding soft points not hollow points, but, what the heck would I know not being a "grown man" and all. Do you feel better now about yourself?
    Just to give you more ammo to slam me I am carrying a Beretta Pico AIWB to a wedding this weekend. I hope they have a spot at the kiddies table for me.

Quote Originally Posted by yooper71 View Post
    Wizard drill is irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A lot of drills are nothing more than range entertainment options. At least it helps provide variety and contributes to folks working on and maintaining their shooting skills.
    yooper71, G-man* and M1911A1 like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

forest Your a sad little man child . really are .

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Sponsored Links