The .380 round for SD - Page 14

The .380 round for SD

This is a discussion on The .380 round for SD within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cuda66 You know, Iím still wondering...why doesnít Glock start making the 25 and 28 here in the US? I would think there ...

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree594Likes

Thread: The .380 round for SD

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    You know, Iím still wondering...why doesnít Glock start making the 25 and 28 here in the US?

I would think there would be enough of a market for a 15 and 10 round .380 to justify the cost of setting up production, since the hard part (development) has already been done...
    Because they are the same size at the 9mm guns... if you look at the magazine for them, they have a filler to the rear (ribs around the back).

Personally, I donít think there is a big market for a .380 double stack pistol. Whoever wants one, there is the Cheetah line from Beretta (among others). Think the market is content with those.

Ammo costs, and how small 9mm guns are, bigger .380s really pressed to find a role not filled by something else. Not knocking them, but if Iím going .380, it is size limited... like my LCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball216 View Post
    Because they are the same size at the 9mm guns... if you look at the magazine for them, they have a filler to the rear (ribs around the back).

Personally, I donít think there is a big market for a .380 double stack pistol. Whoever wants one, there is the Cheetah line from Beretta (among others). Think the market is content with those.

Ammo costs, and how small 9mm guns are, bigger .380s really pressed to find a role not filled by something else. Not knocking them, but if Iím going .380, it is size limited... like my LCP.
    Except, hereís the thing: there's a market-and I dare say, a growing marketĖof people looking for a lighter recoiling, larger pistol not for necessarily for carry, but for HD, or other purposes. They donít want the teeny-tiny .380ís, because they have unpleasant recoil, tiny grips leading to difficult control, and not so great sights. They want something with a rail that they can mount a light on. They want a full-sized grip. They want something with easy to see sights...heck, even something that can wear a red dot.

S&W caught on to it with their Shield EZ...if they doublestack it, it'll likely be a winner. My mother-in-law just got an EZ on my recommendation, after trying out a whole bunch of different pistols...including a G19, which she was unable to rack the slide on (and yes, I showed her proper technique...)...in fact, she could only rack the slide on one 9mm pistol, a full-size 1911, and then only when the hammer was cocked.

Sure, itís easy to say that a G19 or 26 is light enough recoiling, and still a 9mm, and maybe to you and I, it is; but thereís a lot of people, getting to be more all the time, that it just doesnít work for...and I donít see why a gun company (particularly one that already has the product developed, and existing models) would want to ignore this market segment.
    graydude, Bikenut, G-man* and 4 others like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    forest Your a sad little man child . really are .
    Pease keep the petty bickering out of here.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Sure, itís easy to say that a G19 or 26 is light enough recoiling, and still a 9mm, and maybe to you and I, it is; but thereís a lot of people, getting to be more all the time, that it just doesnít work for...and I donít see why you want to ignore this market segment.
    Think the main difference we are seeing, and even more apparent when you bring up the Shield EZ, is that those .380 Glocks are blowback. They are not locked breech, like the Shield EZ or even the Glock 42.

Now, if they redesigned those larger models to make a 30S like hybrid, and got the weight down to allow for a locked action opposed to blowback... then I do think that there would be a market. Huge market? Doubt it for ammo cost. But this also scratches out the design costs already being put up, because the original 25/28 are blowback. Will Glock put those resources in an ďunsureĒ market? Probably not.

Now, what would people rather have; a blowback .380 the size of a 19/26, or a 9mm locked breech 19/26?
    graydude likes this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    forest Your a sad little man child . really are .
    One more insult to a DC member, and you're done here.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    A lot of drills are nothing more than range entertainment options. At least it helps provide variety and contributes to folks working on and maintaining their shooting skills.
    I agree. I guess it just turned me off when he talked about head shots only and perfect guns for people who never use them.

Iím primarily a shotgunner. I went to the range recently with one of my carry guns and realized I suck. Iíve been doing drills working on grip and trigger control.

Your quote above is spot on and itís what Iíve been doing over the last couple weeks and hope to be able to stay at it weekly until weather brings it to a halt. I still suck but already see improvement and am determined.

I guess I reacted to his comments too quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    graydude, G-man* and BamaT like this.

Anyone looking for a Large double stack 380 should give the Bersa 380 Plus a look. 15 round capacity and Walther PPK clone. I has two of them. Really nice guns.
    graydude, G-man* and Workaholic like this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball216 View Post
    Think the main difference we are seeing, and even more apparent when you bring up the Shield EZ, is that those .380 Glocks are blowback. They are not locked breech, like the Shield EZ or even the Glock 42.

Now, if they redesigned those larger models to make a 30S like hybrid, and got the weight down to allow for a locked action opposed to blowback... then I do think that there would be a market. Huge market? Doubt it for ammo cost. But this also scratches out the design costs already being put up, because the original 25/28 are blowback. Will Glock put those resources in an ďunsureĒ market? Probably not.

Now, what would people rather have; a blowback .380 the size of a 19/26, or a 9mm locked breech 19/26?
    Great points on blowback vs locked breech.

Right now the major market area is the 9 mm. But, there is a growing market segment for milder .380 19/26 sized guns. As the 9 mm major market segment becomes even more saturated, I think more companies will explore the fringe or smaller segment areas.

As ammo makers continue to improve the .380 defensive use offerings, that too may help. Hopefully a maker will also try to undercut others in price for range fodder as more .380s are bought out there.
    Wavygravy and G-man* like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

If you put 50 round a week through the 26, you wouldn't feel confident carrying it?

Quote Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
    I went to the range today for "9mm day." Only took my G26 and my G48. I was OK with the 48 (221 rounds), but the 26 really beat up my hands, which are still stiff several hours later. I put it away after 110 rounds. This has been coming on with the 26 for the past year with the arthritis and declining grip strength, and is why my future is .380. That 26 is the best carry gun I've ever owned, but I'm probably going to give it to my (younger) brother-in-law. Any gun that I can't practice a lot with is no good to me.

What drills would you consider relevant to self defense training?

Quote Originally Posted by yooper71 View Post
    Wizard drill is irrelevant.

I like the good ol' Bill Drill. I always start off with it first in any session. I think its a good drill to shoot "cold" and then practice on.
    graydude likes this.

The .380 round for SD

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    What drills would you consider relevant to self defense training?
    I would consider all trigger time relevant to self defense training.

The issue I had with the drill was with using it for a sole criteria to whether one should carry a certain handgun or not.

I clarified a bit in a following post, but perhaps not as clear as I should have.

Marc_Brooks likes this.

Except, hereís the thing: there's a market-and I dare say, a growing marketóof people looking for a lighter recoiling, larger pistol not for necessarily for carry, but for HD, or other purposes. They donít want the teeny-tiny .380ís, because they have unpleasant recoil, tiny grips leading to difficult control, and not so great sights. They want something with a rail that they can mount a light on. They want a full-sized grip. They want something with easy to see sights...heck, even something that can wear a red dot.

S&W caught on to it with their Shield EZ...if they doublestack it, it'll likely be a winner. My mother-in-law just got an EZ on my recommendation, after trying out a whole bunch of different pistols...including a G19, which she was unable to rack the slide on (and yes, I showed her proper technique...)...in fact, she could only rack the slide on one 9mm pistol, a full-size 1911, and then only when the hammer was cocked.

Sure, itís easy to say that a G19 or 26 is light enough recoiling, and still a 9mm, and maybe to you and I, it is; but thereís a lot of people, getting to be more all the time, that it just doesnít work for...and I donít see why a gun company (particularly one that already has the product developed, and existing models) would want to ignore this market segment.
    I couldn't agree more. As recently as 3 years ago, I thought the G26 was a fairly soft shooting gun, although even then it wasn't particularly easy for me to rack the slide. Over the past year, it has become downright unpleasant to shoot. I can still shoot it more accurately than any of my other pistols, but I don't particularly want to.

With the population getting older, along with more women becoming gun owners, you'd think there'd be a growing demand for soft shooting, easy to rack, double stack .380s. I've never seen a Cheetah or a Bersa Thunder Plus in the flesh, but given that they're blowback designs, my guess would be that they're hard to rack and harder to shoot than their caliber, size and weight would indicate.

As for locked breech, double stack .380s, right now I think SCCY is the only game in town. And that's why I own one. But I'm definitely one of the people begging the tier 1 manufacturers to produce a gun like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    If you put 50 round a week through the 26, you wouldn't feel confident carrying it?
    Short answer, no. Even if I could get to the range every week.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Anyone looking for a Large double stack 380 should give the Bersa 380 Plus a look. 15 round capacity and Walther PPK clone. I has two of them. Really nice guns.
    I assume you're referring to the Thunder Plus, yes? The Thunder has a reputation for being snappy and not a joy to shoot. Do you find that to be the case? Also, if it's a blowback, it must have a heavy slide and stiff spring. How is it to rack the slide?

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Sponsored Links