The .380 round for SD - Page 6

The .380 round for SD

This is a discussion on The .380 round for SD within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JimCunn For those of us who are ambidextrous, which side is weak side carry? For semis, does it depend upon presence of ...

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree474Likes

Thread: The .380 round for SD

Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    For those of us who are ambidextrous, which side is weak side carry?
    For semis, does it depend upon presence of ambi safety?
    For J-frames, ease of reload because of cylinder swing-out direction?
    Or is it always left side because most people are right handed?

I am left-handed and right-eye dominant. I have carried and shot primarily right-handed since 1969. I have right-hand and left-hand holsters for most of my carry guns. If I am carrying a rifle right-handed, I may carry a handgun left-handed. I may want to carry two handguns.
    AzQkr and matthew03 like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    No.
    Short ,Sweet and to the point...I like it.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Just another nonsense article that is about calibers. Completely silly to suggest that any modern ammo won't penetrate clothing. The only reason why I carry Lehigh XPs is in case I need to shoot through a wall or automobile glass before I hit the target. If you look at the test results you will see that a Lehigh .380 round will go through 4 layers of denim and then 12" into the gel. The Lehigh extreme defense ammo will go 17" into the gel. See the Shooting the Bull video. I am more worried that a round would go through too far and hit an unwanted target behind the main target. Many people have been killed with a .380. One guy in Texas was killed by his own ricochet. Even when they had the kind of ammo. made during the WW2. One guy killed a black bear with one shot but the bear was naked so we will never know what would have happened if the bear had a coat on.
    Wavygravy, Holmes375 and Talldog like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I carry a Bersa Thunder .380. Thatís about all the recoil my 73 year old, small, arthritic hands can comfortably handle. But, like they say, any gun you are carrying is better than the one you left at home. Also, my old eyes greatly benefit from the Crimson Trace laser grips on my Bersa. They are especially nice because they donít require a modified holster to accommodate.
    Risasi likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar

The .380 is the smallest service caliber, essentially a 9mm short (.354 diameter, the .380 is the casing diameter). It's the smallest I would carry full time. But then, even a .22 is better than a .000. Personally, maximum rounds on target in the minimum time gets the job done.
    Wavygravy and M1911A1 like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Heck, I consider a kubaton adequate for self defense. A little .380 has more range though.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

If I were only able to carry my 380 I would use either hardcast RNFP like buffalo Bore or FMJ RNFP. I know it will penetrate plenty and get to the things which cause stops. Iíve shot a PPK out to 50yds and got successful hits reliably on a idpa sized steal plate. My reasoning for carrying something other is I prefer a full size weapon for capacity. My reasoning for choosing a different caliber is because if Iím going to carry a full size gun then I might as well have a full power cartridge to go in it. 380 has worked one SD shootings for years some others simply work better. Sadly I let my ppk get away from me and have yet to get another I will someday and when I do Iíll carry it every once in awhile.Some people get to caught up with the arrow when itís the Indian that must both knock it and release it.

I decided to carry a .380 because if I ever have to fire it, where ever that bullet goes, I own it. I am responsible for whatever it hits. If I were shooting a larger caliber gun and the bullet hit the perpetrator and went through them and hit someone else, I am responsible for that. Of if I miss and a larger caliber bullet goes through a wall, I am responsible. I want a round that can injure a person to make them stop, but not so strong it will pass through them or walls. That is my crazy theory anyway.

About 95% of the time.
    Prefer large calibers but not as easily concealable for my location and weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepguy1 View Post
    I decided to carry a .380 because if I ever have to fire it, where ever that bullet goes, I own it. I am responsible for whatever it hits. If I were shooting a larger caliber gun and the bullet hit the perpetrator and went through them and hit someone else, I am responsible for that. Of if I miss and a larger caliber bullet goes through a wall, I am responsible. I want a round that can injure a person to make them stop, but not so strong it will pass through them or walls. That is my crazy theory anyway.
    Bean bag gun...
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

There is an old saying, "Bad guys will break my bones, but sleazy lawyers can never hurt me" or something to that effect.

The objective, the ONLY objective, of carrying a lethal weapon is stopping the attack. IF the lawsuit issue seems more important to you than stopping the attack, surviving, or protecting your family, then may I respectfully suggest you should leave the gun at home. Stopping an attack demands your full attention. Getting busy worrying about something trivial in comparison will cause things to not go so well.
    OldVet likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

One should choose what makes them comfortable! With that said any good quality modern hollow point and some of the old ones will reliably stop within the torso. They are specifically designed to do so after penetrating enough to cause incapacitation. The other side of this is as follows. Something like 75% of rounds fired in a shooting miss the intended target a miss is far more of a problem then is a pass through after a bullet has expelled the energy required to penetrate the body itís pretty much toast. As for Bullets fires going through things like walls thereís not a SD round I know of that wonít penetrate the wall of most homes. Your only talking two sheets of drywall on the interior as for the exterior of a frame house your talking a sheet of drywall a sheet of OSB and a piece of vinyl siding. 9mm will go right through 45 will and so will 380.

ETA: not attacking your theory just adding some information to it so you may be better armed if you need it.
    OldChap and graydude like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    There is an old saying, "Bad guys will break my bones, but sleazy lawyers can never hurt me" or something to that effect.

The objective, the ONLY objective, of carrying a lethal weapon is stopping the attack. IF the lawsuit issue seems more important to you than stopping the attack, surviving, or protecting your family, then may I respectfully suggest you should leave the gun at home. Stopping an attack demands your full attention. Getting busy worrying about something trivial in comparison will cause things to not go so well.
    Or as I like to say, make a decision; live with the consequences. But you might want to make that decision in a hurry.
    OldChap likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Dinky, get something for adults. Can you handle a .45 or .357?

Your welcome
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Dinky, get something for adults. Can you handle a .45 or .357?

Your welcome
    Sister and Cornhusker95 like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links