The .380 round for SD - Page 9

The .380 round for SD

This is a discussion on The .380 round for SD within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-ammunition-ballistics/124113-alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power.html Percent not stopped regardless of number of hits 22-35% 25-31% 32-40% 380-16% 38-17% 9-13% 357-9% 40-13% 45-14% 44mag-13% Rifle-9% Shotgun-12% Basically, once you get ...

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree593Likes

Thread: The .380 round for SD

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-ammunition-ballistics/124113-alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power.html

Percent not stopped regardless of number of hits

22-35%
    25-31%
    32-40%

380-16%
    38-17%
    9-13%
    357-9%
    40-13%
    45-14%
    44mag-13%

Rifle-9%
    Shotgun-12%

Basically, once you get to 380 and above, the failure to stop rate is pretty consistent.

I love 380. It allows my wife and I to be armed all the time.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Bullit Math. Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Bullit or Bullet?
    Husker, it was a joke. I don't generally misspell words unless it's on purpose. The inner red pen from my university days doesn't allow it.

Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Husker, it was a joke. I don't generally misspell words unless it's on purpose. The inner red pen from my university days doesn't allow it.

Eye Alsoh MIspell Stuf all the tyme....I was just messin with ya

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I vote left.

Name:  .50 AE Comparison.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  25.1 KB
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Maybe not a 45 or 357 but according to responses to "What handgun have you carried most in the last 30 days" it is something bigger than a 380.
    I'll count through the additional responses sometime today, but after 100 replies about 70 reported carrying at least a compact size pistol or bigger.
    I don't think its inaccurate to say that most people are carrying at least 9mm for concealed carry.
    https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...e-12-a-12.html
    Pocket size (642, LCP, G43) = 32
    Compact (Glock 26/33/30, Shield) = 31
    Duty (Glock 19, Sig 229, 1911) = 42
    Wow! I would have expected the response on this forum, which represents the sub group of society that is more focused on SD than the at large segment to have much higher numbers posted representing the larger guns and calibers.
    10thmtn likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I always pocket carry a .380 around the house and it's my New York Reload when on the street.
    OldChap and 10thmtn like this.
    Glenn

FAS1 SAFE

It really needs to sink in deeply and permanently that it isn't the ARROW, but the INDIAN.

It isn't the VIOLIN, but the MASTER.

On and on I could go. I would think people here would be most aware that placing your shots exactly is more critical to your survival than almost anything else. There is just no such thing as the "magic" caliber/gun.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Wow! I would have expected the response on this forum, which represents the sub group of society that is more focused on SD than the at large segment to have much higher numbers posted representing the larger guns and calibers.
    I updated the total on page 20 of that thread, that about 70% reported carrying bigger than a pocket gun didn't change.
    Pocket (LCP / 38 snub / Glock 42) = 55
    Compact (Glock 26/30 / Shield / XDs) = 67
    Duty (Glock 19/23 / Sig 229 / 1911) = 56
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    It really needs to sink in deeply and permanently that it isn't the ARROW, but the INDIAN.

It isn't the VIOLIN, but the MASTER.

On and on I could go. I would think people here would be most aware that placing your shots exactly is more critical to your survival than almost anything else. There is just no such thing as the "magic" caliber/gun.
    Assuming we are all Chiefs and not just a regular Indian.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I updated the total on page 20 of that thread, that about 70% reported carrying bigger than a pocket gun didn't change.
    Pocket (LCP / 38 snub / Glock 42) = 55
    Compact (Glock 26/30 / Shield / XDs) = 67
    Duty (Glock 19/23 / Sig 229 / 1911) = 56
    Im still impressed that such a large percentage of people pocket carry on a forum where it would be expected that the vast majority would be more dogmatic or zealous than the general population.

Which still leads me to believe that if a poll could be taken of people outside of this very small percentage of gun people, that those numbers would be much different.

But even on here, it’s an impressive 30% that carry ( or admit to carrying) something smaller than 9mm in the pocket.
    Wavygravy, Holmes375 and 10thmtn like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

I love 380. It allows my wife and I to be armed all the time.
    And there it is.
    As a man, and a teacher of practical self defense, the gun or caliber is of little importance....to me. I can make do with or without it.
    And I don’t care what the MARSOC, RAIDERS, SEALS or FBI carries or why. My concern is for the housewife protecting herself and children, grandma, grandpa, and those with infirmities that have special needs or considerations, whether physical, age related, environmental, or lifestyle.

To much of the dogma in the caliber wars is derived from a narcissistic point of view, which is regretful in the grand scheme of it all.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Bullit Math. Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    And there it is.
    As a man, and a teacher of practical self defense, the gun or caliber is of little importance....to me. I can make do with or without it.
    And I don’t care what the MARSOC, RAIDERS, SEALS or FBI carries or why. My concern is for the housewife protecting herself and children, grandma, grandpa, and those with infirmities that have special needs or considerations, whether physical, age related, environmental, or lifestyle.

To much of the dogma in the caliber wars is derived from a narcissistic point of view, which is regretful in the grand scheme of it all.
    Maybe it's partly the "mine's bigger than yours" male body part overcompensation factor as well. Heheheh. Let the flames begin....
    10thmtn and G-man* like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

380, 9mm.10mm all the numbers makes my head hurt. This I know a 380 with 95 gr flat nose rounds will get the jib done at any reasonable range for the weapon. Very small weapons like the LCP require more time to learn how to shoot it well.
    With proper aim a 9mm hand gun will hit a target at 100 yards. How effective it might be I leave to you to experiment with. An LCP 380 at 100 yards will not find the target. Maybe with some more work I can get it there but I gave up.
    380 is a 21 feet or less SD . It is not a recommend back up for bear hunting.
    Wavygravy likes this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Assuming we are all Chiefs and not just a regular Indian.
    The real world list of actual events indicates a significant percentage of gun owners who have to use a gun for self defense are just regular Indians. Have we bought into the grabbers arguments that some guns are far more dangerous/lethal than others? I hope not.

I saw people killed with all manner of calibers. There isn't any way to even tell reliably what they were shot with outside the ME's table, that is pistol injuries. I saw people shot multiple times, I saw victims with single wounds. Statistically everything from 22 through 357 Mag. For every caliber, there were victims killed with a single shot to a vital area, and non-homicides with multiple gunshots to non-vital areas.

Place your shots and stop fretting about carrying a "too small" caliber. If you're dealing with bears, fret.
    G-man* and Holmes375 like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

This pic was taken about 4 miles from my house a few days ago. No .380 for this big boy...
    LimaCharlie, Rexster and since9 like this.
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links