Engaging an active shooter is double dangerous for the good guy.

This is a discussion on Engaging an active shooter is double dangerous for the good guy. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not only is there a danger from return fire from the active shooter. But there is a threat from being killed from police mistaking you ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree175Likes

Thread: Engaging an active shooter is double dangerous for the good guy.

Born in L.A - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt home base

Not only is there a danger from return fire from the active shooter. But there is a threat from being killed from police mistaking you for the active shooter.

It has happened before.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/26/u...-shooting.html

Normally I just carry a little .38 SW Airlite snub in my pocket. But sometimes on a car trip I may carry around a Glock with 2 - 33 rnd mags in my car or in a computer case. If I was searched at an event, what do you think the cops would think looking in my case? If I pulled it out to start blasting at an active shooter, good chance I'd be taken out by the cops thinking I was a active shooter.

Getting back to my little .38 5 shot snub. I'm not going to engage a shooter with a semi-auto rifle. It is for last ditch CQB self-defense.

No one ever said there are perfect solutions to problems humans create. Nor is there any guarantee a country will last forever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Engaging an active shooter is double dangerous for the good guy.-dsc06143-lr.jpg  

CG11 likes this.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Totally agree.
    I think the only solution, and it is not perfect is for everyone to wrap their mind around the fact that people get slaughtered if they do not fight back.
    If multiple people rush these cowards and take them down, lives will be saved in the long run.
    If these cowards knew that they would always be confronted by those they wish to kill, might change things.
    But then again, you might get more sniper type attacks like Las Vegas.

I'd rather be down the sights of an officer than down the sights of a perp. Throw down whats in your hands and get on the ground and hope for the best is all you can do really.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    But then again, you might get more sniper type attacks like Las Vegas.
    The other thing I think we might see is what has happened in other countries, 2-4 person teams with AKs, who have serious training, have a plan and have communication with each other, doing a coordinated attack, like the Kenyan Mall shooting or the Charlie Hebdo shooting in Paris. I think that is bound to happen here sooner or later. That would be a whole other defensive situation.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

People have died slipping in the shower, but that's no reason to not take one.

These concerns that are continuously brought up only tell me some people shouldn't carry guns because their hesitation as they ponder the criminal and civil ramifications will get them killed, either by the BG, another CC'er, or the police because they are determined every odd is against them

IT's YOUR Life! Protect it. Dead men aren't concerned with jail or family members of the BGs. Be aware of the concerns, but don't die over them. What would be the point to that?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

If you are ever in a place where an active shooter or terrorist attack situation suddenly breaks out, your options are definitive. First, try to escape if there is any way you can do this. If you cannot escape, get to cover and get small, if you can do this. If you are within close proximity to a shooter and have the opportunity, kill them. The idea of stopping them, such as in a robbery, should not be your goal. You want to kill them because their whole agenda is a large body count. Much different than someone who wants your wallet and your keys.

[This information was paraphrased from a book I read not long ago entitled "Facing the Active Shooter" by CR Williams.]

The OP's concerns about possibly being a target of police when they arrive on scene while you are trying to defend yourself with your firearm are well taken and real. SA would be your best friend and hopefully you would see them coming in and react accordingly. It would be a hell of a thing to take out a few shooters and then be mistakenly taken out yourself by police.
    Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; August 8th, 2019 at 01:49 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    If I am ever in such a situation, I hope that God gives me the courage to do what I believe is right and what I have trained for.
    If I have to die, I would rather go knowing I tried to make a difference.

You're not going to see people rushing a shooter. As far as being misidentified but LEO, that was one of the darker topics covered in my class last year.

I predict, and I don't like saying this, we will see a suicide bomber in the next three years, maybe two.

The El Paso shooter wrote he was prepared to die, and even expected to do so. So whatever constraints are put in place after all the lawmakers finish their nonsense, will really not make a bit of difference to anyone prepping to go kill a bunch of people.
    OldChap, matthew03, Cnon and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    You're not going to see people rushing a shooter. As far as being misidentified but LEO, that was one of the darker topics covered in my class last year.

I predict, and I don't like saying this, we will see a suicide bomber in the next three years, maybe two.

The El Paso shooter wrote he was prepared to die, and even expected to do so. So whatever constraints are put in place after all the lawmakers finish their nonsense, will really not make a bit of difference to anyone prepping to go kill a bunch of people.
    So true. Anyone bent on racking up a body count is going to use whatever tool(s) he can to accomplish his goal. Look at the 1995 Oklahoma bombing by McVeigh. He got what he wanted without having fired a shot.
    Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; August 8th, 2019 at 03:01 PM.
    matthew03, Cnon and seeker_two like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

VIP Member
    All actions and inaction sometimes carry risk, no doubt about it.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Get to your shooting solution without showing gun, make your shot, anchor the shooter, assess, blend back in.

Train for that.
    Hoganbeg, OldVet, 10thmtn and 7 others like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Get to your shooting solution without showing gun, make your shot, anchor the shooter, assess, blend back in.

Train for that.
    This^^^! Your fundamental options are Flight, Fight, Hide, or Do Nothing. There are risks with each of them and no guarantees with any of them!
    matthew03, ugh762x39 and DZUS like this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    This^^^! Your fundamental options are Flight, Fight, Hide, or Do Nothing. There are risks with each of them and no guarantees with any of them!
    I'm single, plenty of people love me, but they don't have to depend on me. If I escaped and other's didn't it would haunt me forever.

Very low probability, but I plan on doing my best to engage.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

My complements!
    matthew03 likes this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

I am a bit of the "fools rush in" type myself. BTDT, but not under shooting situations.
    matthew03 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links