New to handguns - Page 2

New to handguns

This is a discussion on New to handguns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 Correct me if i am wrong...But why do most first time gun buyers who dive into the CC realm purchase a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: New to handguns

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Correct me if i am wrong...But why do most first time gun buyers who dive into the CC realm purchase
    a small micro gun in a smaller caliber without acquiring the skill level to be proficient....Assuming you agree
    that shot placement is more critical the smaller we go in caliber and with limited rounds.
    Also smaller micro guns are harder to master and more prone to limp wristing
    and can be finicky...I am speaking of small micro guns not sub compact guns but it does depends
    on how you draw the line from micro to sub compact.

Any thoughts or opinions?....

Great question @Cornhusker95 . My very opinionated answer is that it is because they do not know what they are doing, and that is because they are being sold guns and so-called training with a disregard for knowledge. Training will never replace knowledge.

I learned to shoot at age 7 with a Savage Model 29 rifle (beautiful octagonal barrel). when I went to boot camp ten years later I qualified on an M1. Then had my time with the M14. I was 21 when trained on a M1911. Wow, that was n awakening. Pistols are much harder to shoot well then rifles, as we know and I found out. So when it came the for me to but my first handgun after discharge I knew a lot about shooting a pistol. I chose accordingly.

So many people who buy guns are making choices based upon fantasy, bad advice from a forum, a LGS employee wanting to make a sale, a friend who is not qualified, etc, etc, etc. That is why we see so many people mishandling guns and giving us who do it right a bad name. There is no substitute for experience based upon a core of education. There just is not. but today some people buy a gun and take a few hours of training if that. It is a recipe for disaster, and the disaster is it gives the Anti 2A folks talking points. Sadly I have to say I know a couple gun owners who scare me because they are uneducated and untrained. That is the battle we are fighting.

Message to lurkers: If you wan to be able to defend yourself with a gun, don't rely on forums. Get some education, training, and experience shooting often.
    Cornhusker95 and Hoganbeg like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    When the first handgun that you've ever fired is a 1911A1 at a place called MCRD Parris Island South Carolina, one tends not to suffer illusions about handguns along with South East Asian War Games experience, you also learn that the handgun is a nice supplement to a rifle. On the other hand if you have no practical experience then you'll subject to you don't know what you don't know. Handguns acquired for concealed carry are generally acquired by the unknowing for diminutive size concealment, thus minimal weight and physical comfort. As most people age thus transitioning to senior citizen status they also fall into that category. The vast majority of people are never going to be in a circumstance of conflict which results in a gunfight.

Now in my seventh decade a S&W Shield 9x19mm is my EDC its either going to be good enough or it isn't going to be good enough but that's the way its going to be. Along with that is the reality concept AKA avoidance of stupid people, paces and things. In other words don't place yourself in bad situations.

I don’t know what first time gun owners are buying, nor their level of skill is with respect to the same. Is there any hard data to conclude this from?
    Pete63 and OD* like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My first concealed carry gun was (is) a Glock 30. Not too big, not too little--just right! My only prerequisite was it had to be a .45. Having stared into the business end of one at nose distance, I knew how intimidating one could be. A dinky pocket-size gun never entered my mind.

Prior to that, my handgun experience was limited to different revolvers, a few semiauto .22s, and a TC Contender. The one exception was a very nice, worked-over 1911 that was a tack driver even in my hands. It was a sweet shooter but not what I would consider carrying.
    OD* likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

A good friend of mine wanted to buy a gun for self protection. When she and her husband were standing at Bass Pro a LEO told her she should buy a .22 revolver with a laser. Her husband told her not to but she did because the LEO said it was best for a woman.
    Being Armed Is A Mindset, Not A Physical Condition - Rob Pincus

SAF, GOA, NRA, Kansas State Rifle Assoc.

Quote Originally Posted by BillG174 View Post
    A good friend of mine wanted to buy a gun for self protection. When she and her husband were standing at Bass Pro a LEO told her she should buy a .22 revolver with a laser. Her husband told her not to but she did because the LEO said it was best for a woman.
    If she can shoot it effectively, it is not the worst choice. Most BGs don't stick around to be shot with any caliber. When the caps pop, the feet will hop.
    Last edited by OldVet; August 20th, 2019 at 05:49 PM.
    glockman10mm, forester58 and OD* like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

My first concealed carry gun was a Rossi 2" snubby 38. Before that the only handgun I carried and shot a lot was my Ruger single six 22 with a 5.5 inch barrel.
    Nobody told me that the snub was supposed to be hard to shoot or had too much recoil so I just went along blissfully ignorant trying to improve with the gun I had and I did. I got really good with that gun before someone told me I could not get good with it. I learned to shoot it one handed with heavy +P loads before someone told me that it would recoil too much or that follow-up shots were impossible. I for one am glad I grew up before the internet told me so many things I did were not achievable. I think all the other guns I have owned have been easier to shoot because I got good with that "impossible" gun first. I carried that gun and only that gun for 16 years before I felt like I should learn other guns.
    I agree that small guns are easier to shoot with experience but, no reason that experience can't be had with that same small gun.
    OD* and Wavygravy like this.

Small and lightweight make them easy to carry. Next question...
    AzQkr likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    ..... don't have a clue about how they shoot. .... My fear is she is not alone in her ignorance.

THAT IS THE ANSWER. First time gun buyers do not have a clue in most cases, and if they get any help or advice it is from a clerk who is going to sell them the worst thing possible for new shooters! I've seen it happen more times than I can count. I don't think it is so much that the new ones are thinking in terms of ease of carry of easy to conceal. It is more that they don't know anything.

OR......a well-meaning husband buys one for his wife. Totally the wrong one in almost every case!
    TimBob and OD* like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

New Member Array LasVegasLights's Avatar
    Correct me if i am wrong...But why do most first time gun buyers who dive into the CC realm purchase
    a small micro gun in a smaller caliber without acquiring the skill level to be proficient....Assuming you agree
    that shot placement is more critical the smaller we go in caliber and with limited rounds.
    Also smaller micro guns are harder to master and more prone to limp wristing
    and can be finicky...I am speaking of small micro guns not sub compact guns but it does depends
    on how you draw the line from micro to sub compact.

Any thoughts or opinions?....
    Because they look at the small gun and think, "oh, that will be easier to handle and control." They don't realize that a bigger gun, with a longer barrel and more weight, gives you more control.

If you've never shot a gun in your life it's an easy mistake to make. You associate the power with the weapon itself more so than the round.
    TimBob likes this.

My first gun, of any kind, was a Para-Ordnance P12-45 (3 1/12" barrel, double-stack 1911) back in the 90's (-ish). I sold that gun years ago and was without one until I moved to the Memphis, TN area. I got a carry permit and a Glock 19 which turned out to be a bit big for concealment. I bought a Glock 43 a year later and now, three years later, traded the 19 in for a 43X.

I recall thinking in my concealed carry class here and back in Connecticut that they were both woefully inadequate to make one competent to safely carry, and know when you can use, a handgun. I consider myself both safe and competent but that's only because I'm generally very situationally aware and I train a lot on my own at the range. To me, guns are tools that one needs to be proficient with like a tablesaw, not toys for blowing holes in zombie targets. Of the 20 people that took and passed my TN permit class, I would say at least five still didn't know which end of the gun the bullet goes in or comes out of. It's very scary.

Sponsor
    why do most first time gun buyers who dive into the CC realm purchase a small micro gun in a smaller caliber without acquiring the skill level to be proficient.

IMO, one needs to define "proficient" so we're all on the same page.
    glockman10mm and OD* like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I've been around more than a few gun counters and overheard some sales guy coaching a new CC holder to a smaller gun. I also believe stores don't want to get stuck with them too long because there seemingly is always something new coming out.

I personally find it hard to limp wrist a smaller gun.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    why do most first time gun buyers who dive into the CC realm purchase a small micro gun in a smaller caliber without acquiring the skill level to be proficient.

IMO, one needs to define "proficient" so we're all on the same page.
    Define proficient as you see it....Being a forum i am sure how you define it may differ from others.
    If not then defining it would be unnecessary as we would all 100% agree what the definition is.
    OD* likes this.

Sponsor
    Define proficient as you see it....Being a forum i am sure how you define it may differ from others.
    If not then defining it would be unnecessary as we would all 100% agree what the definition is.
    If we're not all on the same page as to what constitutes proficiency, then proficiency discussions are meaningless.

CCW test 1 round into a can?
    police training and standards relative minimum proficiency?

Define proficiency relative this discussion.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links