How does a red dot effect carry? - Page 3

How does a red dot effect carry?

This is a discussion on How does a red dot effect carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Regardless of how rugged or how unobtrusive they can make them, the fact remains that they are hanging out there as the most easily banged ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: How does a red dot effect carry?

Regardless of how rugged or how unobtrusive they can make them, the fact remains that they are hanging out there as the most easily banged into, bumped into, hung up onto, part of the weapon. I am far to clumsy to have another complication attached to my weapon. I'm not carrying a target shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    Regardless of how rugged or how unobtrusive they can make them, the fact remains that they are hanging out there as the most easily banged into, bumped into, hung up onto, part of the weapon. I am far to clumsy to have another complication attached to my weapon. I'm not carrying a target shooter.
    Agreed - which is why I would never have a RDS without Night Sights that 1/3 co-witness. Because you never know. That said. I am far quicker to attain my sight picture and more accurate with a red dot. The only slide I had to mill was my G26. The others I purchased MOS. The hard part - at least initially - was finding the dot on draw. I would use the iron sights to guide me. But that's what training and practice is all about. No issues now.
    MMinSC and Chaplain Scott like this.

Before I reluctantly went to optics due to vision issues I strongly agreed with that position. However, after carrying optics for over a year I haven't experienced snagging or banging the optics on anything, whether in daily carry, dry fire, or range time.

My EDC guns have low profile optics and cowitness with stock irons. The only exception to this is my latest purchase, an XDm-10 OSP, which has suppressor height sights. The front sight is quite tall and rather square. That might create more of a snagging risk, but hasn't been a problem yet in a small amount of dry fire, range time, and woods carry.
    Chaplain Scott and gasmitty like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    any issues with sweat/fogging the rds glass on hot days or some activity?

Lead Moderator
    No measurable difference between iron sight and red dot equipped guns for me. Other considerations ( battery dead, broken or dirty view) may disuade you from using a red dot. I for one don't find them enough of a reason not to carry with the dot.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    any issues with sweat/fogging the rds glass on hot days or some activity?
    Haven't had those problems either.

There are days here in the swampy VA summer heat where my glasses fog up when stepping out of a wonderfully cold air conditioned basement; when I've checked my optics by drawing the gun in the backyard there was no issue. Body heat from AIWB carry probably keeps it warm enough to prevent the condensation I get on my glasses.

I always carry while mowing the lawn, usually AIWB because those are kydex holsters, but sometimes OWB in leather. Sweat can be wrung out of my cover shirt, and the guns need a wipe down afterwards because they're soaked, but the glass stays clear.

I also carry concealed while hunting. When drawing a warm gun in the winter and exposing it to temps in the 20s I haven't seen a problem. Colder temperatures might cause a fogging problem; don't know because I haven't checked when it was in the teens or single digits yet.
    CommonCents likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

VIP Member
    Wrong on all counts, coming from someone who has carried them regularly since 2011.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Have you ever tried to do it, or is this just an assumption on your part?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Wrong on all counts, coming from someone who has carried them regularly since 2011.
    I find CG11's comments to be a personal observation, ergo, he can't be wrong. It's very real to him.

But I back his comments. Heck, I've caught low-key front sights, the trigger, and even the safety on the side on loose pieces of clothing. Having hunted with a scoped .44, I can very easily see how even the most compact and unobtrusive red dot poses a significantly greater catch risk than a tiny front sight or a trigger.

If you're happy with it, Mike1956, carry on.

In the meantime, I'll make another plug for becoming familiar enough with your firearm that the only thing you need to hit your target is the knowledge of your target's location.
    Marc_Brooks likes this.
    Governor Northam: YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Red dots on carry guns are gaining popularity. There's been a lot of discussion on how they effect the aiming/shooting characteristics of the gun. But not as much talk on how they effect carry. Does the added bulk and weight much much of a difference. Does the added height make a difference in concealment/printing? The added height is going the opposite way of the grip, so they're might be leeway in that direction, but I'm not sure.

For people who carry one of these, how has it work from a carry perspective?
    Too bad about the thread-jack, but it happens all the time. Hopefully you got helpful info from those of us who actually carry them before the thread got knocked off the rails by people who substitute oninion for current experience.
    OD* likes this.

Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone compared the effectiveness of red dot to laser grips?
    For the last few years my carry choice has been Crimson Trace green laser grips. They seem to work best with my old eyes at 'conflict' range (even in full sun).

I'm always open for better options.
    since9 likes this.
    “To see what is right and not do it, is want of courage”. Confucius

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anglertoo View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone compared the effectiveness of red dot to laser grips?
    For the last few years my carry choice has been Crimson Trace green laser grips. They seem to work best with my old eyes at 'conflict' range (even in full sun).

I'm always open for better options.
    They are two completely different animals. One superimoses the aiming point to the optic glass while the other puts a laser dot on the target.
    Bad Bob, Holmes375 and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    I also carry concealed while hunting. When drawing a warm gun in the winter and exposing it to temps in the 20s I haven't seen a problem. Colder temperatures might cause a fogging problem; don't know because I haven't checked when it was in the teens or single digits yet.
    Where that presents itself is when the cold optic is taken indoors where it is warm, not the other way around.
    OD* likes this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Too bad about the thread-jack, but it happens all the time. Hopefully you got helpful info from those of us who actually carry them before the thread got knocked off the rails by people who substitute oninion for current experience.
    Or worse -- *GASP* who share personal experience.

Look, we know you have a lot of experience with the technology. What you forget is that one person's experience does not automatically apply to everyone else. No single person has all the answers. That's why people seek multiple inputs and perspectives on various firearms and pieces of equipment. This isn't a contest. Denigrating the experiences and yes, opinions of others, isn't constructive. Let others have their say.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Governor Northam: YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Or worse -- *GASP* who share personal experience.

Look, we know you have a lot of experience with the technology. What you forget is that one person's experience does not automatically apply to everyone else. No single person has all the answers. That's why people seek multiple inputs and perspectives on various firearms and pieces of equipment. This isn't a contest. Denigrating the experiences and yes, opinions of others, isn't constructive. Let others have their say.
    By all means, share your personal experiences with handgun-mounted red dot sights.
    Bad Bob, MMinSC and OD* like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links