How does a red dot effect carry? - Page 5

How does a red dot effect carry?

This is a discussion on How does a red dot effect carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a few pistols with RMR optics on them. I think it adds a little mass obviously to the gun when carrying. Thatís obvious ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: How does a red dot effect carry?

I have a few pistols with RMR optics on them. I think it adds a little mass obviously to the gun when carrying. Thatís obvious by looking at it. Also, watch ďSage DynamicsĒ on YouTube for info on them. Carrying, abusing, techniques, etc. He is a great source for information. The holosun 507c is by far becoming my favorite. Another huge plus for RMR pistols is when running night vision. Not sure if that applies to anyone reading this BUT it makes shooting pistols in low light/no light wayyyyy better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Not required.
    So what experience with red dots do you have? What combination of gun, red dot, holster, and carry position have you used? These details matter. Or are you speculating based on experience carrying only iron sights?
    MMinSC and Mike1956 like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

I ask because the main reason I removed all my Crimson Trace lasers was zero drifting over time.
    If you're having problems with your Crimson Trace laser grips you can send them back to CT and they'll fix them for free. I have a used set on my S&W 340PD that I've had for 14 years and I had a problem with the dot being distorted so I sent them back to CT. I got them back in less than 2 weeks free of charge. They replaced all the parts with new stuff.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I've been carrying my Glock 19 with the Vortex Venom around the house for some time. I actually cannot tell the difference - except it is faster on target than the irons.

I did use the no-mill mounting gadget, and I couldn't be happier with it. I finally found a tall front sight blade from Dawson Precision and the last obstacle was gone. I've covered it up and it conceals just as well as the G23. I like it.
    MMinSC likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by Rook49 View Post
    If you're having problems with your Crimson Trace laser grips you can send them back to CT and they'll fix them for free. I have a used set on my S&W 340PD that I've had for 14 years and I had a problem with the dot being distorted so I sent them back to CT. I got them back in less than 2 weeks free of charge. They replaced all the parts with new stuff.

I tried. They said the warranty had expired. Best they would do was sell me a replacement at the instructor price.

Needless to say Iím done with them.
    OldChap likes this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I tried. They said the warranty had expired. Best they would do was sell me a replacement at the instructor price.

Needless to say Iím done with them.
    That is sad. I always thought they were a good company who stood by their products.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

First, always read comments in the context in which they were written:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My iron sights also get banged and nicked. Do you carry red dots regularly?
    Not required.
    Second, take the time to follow the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    So what experience with red dots do you have? What combination of gun, red dot, holster, and carry position have you used? These details matter. Or are you speculating based on experience carrying only iron sights?
    Previously mentioned in thread.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and was hoping you'd explain what direct experience you have with carrying red dots that makes your posts on this thread relevant to he discussion. The continued vague answers indicate your only purpose here is to derail the thread because you don't like the concept of carrying red dots.

Sir, I recommend you follow your own advice to take the time to follow the thread. Note that this specifically is not a discussion about the pros/cons of carrying red dots.

You're entitled to whatever opinion you may have on red dots or the reading comprehension of some of us forum members, but this is not the place for condescendingly hijacking a thread, and menbers will call you out for it.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

VIP Member

You don't like red dots, for reasons you find difficult to articulate. Got it.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I have a limited amount of experience with Red-Dot sights, thru usage of rental weapons mounted with Red-Dot sights at a local indoor range. One of the staff, a law enforcement instructor went over the basics with me and thus what to expect. The range rules don't allow one to draw from a holster thus you have weapon at eye level, so finding the DOT was not a problem. After several firing sessions I decided for my application the RED-Dot isn't necessity.

In my seventh decade with corrected vision, the True Glo-Tritium Pro sights on my S&W Shield 9x19mm EDC were going to be good enough and that's the way its going to be.
    Mike1956 and Rick McC. like this.

I found that a red dot competition pistol was an improvement in that environment. It even improved my shooting with iron sights as it allowed me to see vibration that I didn't even know was there. Finding the dot is generally no more problem than lining up iron sights. I've considered one for carry, but ruled it out for several reasons:

Close in use would be threat focused with first shots starting at point 3 or sooner in the 4 point draw stroke. (The dot actually slows me down in competition if I use it on close targets.)

At ranges where sites are necessary you may have a problem with AOJ.

If the other guy is advancing with an edged weapon or already shooting, I'm not standing still to get sights on target.

Then there's the uncertainty of it working when needed. I was in a match (AR with red dot) where just as I started the stage mother nature took a leak on me big time. The red dot was instantly obscured with water droplets to the point of uselessness. We have high humidity and sweat a lot in Florida, at any given time the red dot could be fogged. Then there's just simple lint or other crap on the lens.

Finally, there's dot brightness relative to both the target and the ambient environment. Manual brightness won't cut it in my opinion, so you need auto. I've had several red dots, both pistol and rifle. Only one has read target brightness well. Many don't. Under even lighting conditions it's not a problem. But try shooting a light target in bright light when you're in shadow with a red dot that reads ambient light at the shooter. If you can even see the dot you'll be lucky. Or vise versa, dark target in a dark space when your in the light (likely scenario) and all you'll see is a screen full of red light.

Batteries, did I mention that I hate depending on batteries. Murphy knows about things with batteries.

Well FWIW that's my opinion and I'm fine with my three little tritium dots.

---Scott.

This is interesting, but the topic of this thread was the physical issue of a red dot (size, shape, weight, holster issues, etc.) on carrying a red dot equipped gun. What you're talking about are shooting issues. There have been lots of threads on those.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottCC View Post
    I found that a red dot competition pistol was an improvement in that environment. It even improved my shooting with iron sights as it allowed me to see vibration that I didn't even know was there. Finding the dot is generally no more problem than lining up iron sights. I've considered one for carry, but ruled it out for several reasons:

Close in use would be threat focused with first shots starting at point 3 or sooner in the 4 point draw stroke. (The dot actually slows me down in competition if I use it on close targets.)

At ranges where sites are necessary you may have a problem with AOJ.

If the other guy is advancing with an edged weapon or already shooting, I'm not standing still to get sights on target.

Then there's the uncertainty of it working when needed. I was in a match (AR with red dot) where just as I started the stage mother nature took a leak on me big time. The red dot was instantly obscured with water droplets to the point of uselessness. We have high humidity and sweat a lot in Florida, at any given time the red dot could be fogged. Then there's just simple lint or other crap on the lens.

Finally, there's dot brightness relative to both the target and the ambient environment. Manual brightness won't cut it in my opinion, so you need auto. I've had several red dots, both pistol and rifle. Only one has read target brightness well. Many don't. Under even lighting conditions it's not a problem. But try shooting a light target in bright light when you're in shadow with a red dot that reads ambient light at the shooter. If you can even see the dot you'll be lucky. Or vise versa, dark target in a dark space when your in the light (likely scenario) and all you'll see is a screen full of red light.

Batteries, did I mention that I hate depending on batteries. Murphy knows about things with batteries.

Well FWIW that's my opinion and I'm fine with my three little tritium dots.

---Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    You don't like red dots, for reasons you find difficult to articulate. Got it.
    You have a knack for attempting to put words where they don't belong. Got it.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Sponsored Links