Are You Willing To Disarm As a Condition of Attendance? - Page 3

Are You Willing To Disarm As a Condition of Attendance?

This is a discussion on Are You Willing To Disarm As a Condition of Attendance? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 I had to go into the local ssa building this week to get a replacement card. The guard at the ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: Are You Willing To Disarm As a Condition of Attendance?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 View Post
    I had to go into the local ssa building this week to get a replacement card. The guard at the door asked if I was armed...nope, he let me in. No wand or search though. I felt like a sitting duck in there ugh.
    I was in our local SS office earlier in the week, as well. I understand that it's a federal offense to carry into a federal building, and am not troubled by it.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Not going to disarm unless I have to, and I don't have to do so to attend my church.
    CDW4ME, Mike1956, Pete63 and 1 others like this.
    "The Second Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationship in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason I believe the Second Amendment will always be important."
    - John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    I carry almost all the time except where prohibited by law.
    With school starting I am without a firearm when at work. While a firearm is more advantageous in some circumstances, I am not unarmed and helpless without one.
    Mike1956, Old Man and Hoganbeg like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My wife and I have been EDCing since the mid 80s, over the last 30+ years, there have been VERY FEW times that we have disarmed ourselves to go someplace. We are now at a point in our lives that we don't go places that deprive us of our ability to exercise our 2nd Amendment Rights. We just don't go. Yes, I know - what about Court Houses, Airports etc... yep that is a given, those places are kept at an absolute minimum.

Example, my wife was called to jury duty earlier this year, I drove her to the courthouse she got out and then called me from inside to come pick her up. Her gun was waiting for her when I picked her up. When I fly, I fly with my gun in my checked bag, I only fly out to visit my parents in WA once or twice each year, when they come to pick me up, they bring loaded mags for me so that I can load up as soon as we hit the parking garage. My dad is also armed and carries daily.

I carried daily before I was a police officer, I carried daily while I was a police officer, and I carry daily now after being a police officer... , no exceptions. My wife and I own our business, the main reason - we decide on the carry rules at our place of work.

For the two of us, daily carry has been a way of life since 1985.
    Mike1956, sgb, Old Man and 3 others like this.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Basically no.

We been married 29 years and have driven (armed) on every vacation, no planes or cruise; another reason to drive is we take our dogs on trips.
    We took our kids to the big theme parks 6 or 7 times prior to the installation of metal detectors; not saying I was carrying, just that there were no metal detectors. I had (have) trouble with motion sickness on rides, ended up actually vomiting 2nd to last time I went, rode a few rides and was nauseous rest of day on the last trip (Jesus heard/answered my plea that time and I didn't puke all over myself). My wife has take our boys back twice since my last trip (after the installation of metal detectors) and rather than go and sit outside waiting for them to ride rides (like last time) I stay back at the condo with the dogs, walk the beach; they apply my ticket savings to upgrade theirs and have shorter lines.

We don't watch ballgames on TV (oblivious to sports), so definitely not interested in going to one.

Invitation to a wedding, party, event (whatever) and being disarmed is a condition of attendance? LOL. I'm not that social anyway, thanks for the out.

How about a church that expects attendees to disarm? No, I'd find a different church (assume its a church decision and not state law).

I wouldn't mind if posted restaurants backed up that sign by having customers walk through a metal detector or wanding them; some people that carry are willing to support a posted restaurant with the philosophy "concealed is concealed". Would they (concealed carriers) be willing to support a restaurant if they had to disarm to eat the food? I doubt it.

Sometimes there is no alternative, must disarm; for example, going to the courthouse for any reason.

Overall I avoid places I can't carry. Being unarmed is unappealing; I prefer to spend my time & money in places that honor freedom.
    Mike1956, Pete63 and Old Man like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Grateful I live in the Gunshine state. I used to not take issue with disarming where required but these days it downright irks me and I generally avoid places I can't carry.

For a wedding, concealed is concealed as we say around these parts if you really wanted to go. Otherwise it's an excuse to pass on it.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I am law abiding. With that said there are places that I do not frequent, but If I must, I minimize my occurrence of being in such places.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBojangles View Post
    Grateful I live in the Gunshine state. I used to not take issue with disarming where required but these days it downright irks me and I generally avoid places I can't carry.

For a wedding, concealed is concealed as we say around these parts if you really wanted to go. Otherwise it's an excuse to pass on it.
    Being totally honest, I've used it as a pass excuse myself a few times. It also works the other way in that I've been known to make up other excuses for skipping gun-unfriendly environs.
    Rooster, Pete63 and CDW4ME like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

We can and do carry at church. As for NFL, NBA and MLB you will never see me at any of them so it don't madder to me . Go to a major public event unarmed makes little sense.
    Mike1956, Pete63 and Old Man like this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

VIP Member
    I am for all intents, retired now. That takes care of a number of things with ALWAYS caring firearms (plural ALWAYS). I don't go to a number of places now, which I'm sure a gun would not be allowed. That's more of a change in interests/won't blow money on things I've spent decades doing already. I've got both Amazon Prime, & Netflix, so I spend most all my entertainment dollars at home. They freed up the airport, to the extent I can carry inside legally, in passenger pick up/baggage area. I don't fly anymore, as any travel I would make, I'd be carrying "NUMEROUS" firearms, because travel would be to family, and they ALL like guns!(which I know I could transport, but, I'm talking a good number!) My M/C club has our own property & clubhouse. (private property=no restrictions) The FEW whom don't carry, are fine with the 98% of us that do! I don't go to government buildings. Driver's license & my carry permit are by mail. Hospitals; nope, I am fortunate to be in good health. Church, I carry, as there is no anti gun policy there. I don't drink, so I'm not in bars. Restaurants in Texas that make most of their income from food sales are not "GFR's". I WILL NOT LEAVE A GUN IN MY VEHICLE! So, I don't own a car gun safe. Yes, I have to plan where I go, but with 180+ vehicle thefts DAILY, in the 'greater Houston area, a gun safe is useless, when it's SO EASY for them to just steal the car, & deal with the contents at their leisure. No kids to worry about seeing at school, so that's covered also. As for sports, I don't care for ANY, except shooting sports, & NHRA Drag Racing. I can legally carry at my race track! (take THAT Nascar!) Think that about covers it. I do Like post #35 from @CDW4ME & your post#38, @Mike1956 . I also believe, as of this Sunday (new laws go unto effect), that if you carry in a "posted zone", & they ASK you to leave, & you DO, no penalty! I think that pretty much covers my thoughts on this.
    Old Man, Mike1956 and CDW4ME like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

sgb
    If I'm wearing pants/shorts I'm armed, I avoid those places where it would be a crime to carry and I simply ignore the rest. YMMV
    Pete63 likes this.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Currently I'm in a situation where I'm disarmed 99% of the time. During the day I am at college, and during the night I go to the hospital to visit my twin sister. Cant carry on either, so the gun has to stay in the safe all day. Havn't been able to carry it for a week now
    Mike1956 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    ...Overall I avoid places I can't carry. Being unarmed is unappealing; I prefer to spend my time & money in places that honor freedom.
    +1

My wife and I practice "concealed is concealed."
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Generally I don't look for signs. If I'm visiting someone's home, I might go without a firearm, out of courtesy. In places that are secured with actual security, I go without worrying much. The risk then is very low, and there's usually a good reason.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

According to a learned attorney in Michigan (not me) one only needs to be notified that guns are not allowed on private property. That notification can be in the form of a sign or it could be the property owner/his representative asking or telling someone to leave.

So if there is a no guns sign that means the sign serves as notification and the property owner or his representative doesn't have to say a thing but can simply call the police and have the person arrested for trespass.

I personally obey all laws concerning carrying a gun. Gun laws and trespass laws. Laws are laws and they all impose penalties for disobeying them.

But there is another consideration for me. As folks have probably noticed I fervently support the right to keep and bear arms. However, I would be a hypocrite if I were to expect other folks to respect my right to bear arms while I disrespect their equally as important to them right to ban guns on/in their private property. "Open to the public" doesn't mean anyone and everyone is invited in. It means only those who agree to abide by the rules/policies set by the property owner is invited in. All others are trespassing whether they get caught at it or not.

I do not agree with the attitude of "I respect rights except for the rights of others that I don't like or think that just because they can doesn't mean they should because it inconveniences me.".
    Henry9008 and AZ_Paul like this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links