Keeping A Low Profile - Page 4

Keeping A Low Profile

This is a discussion on Keeping A Low Profile within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cypher Hey wait. How come I don't see a like button but people are liking posts You need to contribute 10 Bitcoin ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree336Likes

Thread: Keeping A Low Profile

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Hey wait. How come I don't see a like button but people are liking posts
    You need to contribute 10 Bitcoin to the Staff donut and coffee fund. 🍩 ☕️
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    You need to contribute 10 Bitcoin to the Staff donut and coffee fund. 🍩 ☕️
    Christmas cards won't hack it?
    M1911A1 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Christmas cards won't hack it?
    You already got your “Like” buttons. They were free back then.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

What do I think? Although you may be 100% correct in your observations, I suspect that 80% of the people you [think] are armed, probably arnt . Its just how it is man, when you start to look too hard for something, you tend to find it behind every blade of grass. I also suspect that in your efforts to visually ferret out all the armed people in your midst, you probably come across to every trained observer as someone who is "up to something".

The bottom line is that people who dress like a commando are fully aware of their presentation. Some people simply are not willing to be seen by other as ordinary. I am not saying that everyone who wears tactical pants has some sort of complex but certain personality traits find comfort in a presentation which lends itself to being seen as "part of something" or being "about something". The haircut, the vehicle they drive, decals on the windows, the clothes they wear, their vocabulary and speech cadence..its all part of a mission mindset which is adopted by a good many people. Im not saying its good or bad, simply that it exists.

Unless you are wearing a parka, there will likely always be some "tell" or another regarding your armed status. Its just how it is and 98% of the walking around public will never notice it. Being the greyman doesn't mean you are 100% covert, it simply means you are subdued by comparison to most everyone else.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I'm a firm believer in the "gray man" posture for an old inconspicuous fella like me.

In my situation, I blend into the background just about anywhere I'm likely to go and that's a conscious effort on my part.

In the unlikely case where I'd be involved in a critical incident, I want my armed presence to be a total shock to any BG I'd have to confront.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

I don't bother looking too hard to see if others are carrying or not. It's obvious in some cases, others not. I can and do, however, pick up on both potential criminals and plainclothes or off-duty LEOs almost invariably. Also usually combat vets. It's not anything I can single out, just an awareness of them.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    So I think you're missing my point. I know most people don't care I'm not worried about them. I'm worried about the people who do care.
    I completely agree with everything you've said (well, I'm a bit more social, but that's irrelevant ). I do not understand the whole "open carry" thing. The LAST thing in the world I want is for someone else to know I'm carrying. 1) it can be awkward if you bump into a rabidly anti-gun type, and 2) if I were out to do harm (I'm not in any way) the first person to go would be the one I know is carrying (to state it again, this is is only to make a point, I'm not that guy).

I'm not obsessive about it, but the element of surprise gives me one more option than I would have if a bad guy knows I'm the dog amongst the sheep.
    Last edited by Pappy35; September 3rd, 2019 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy35 View Post
    I completely agree with everything you've said (well, I a bit more social, but that's irrelevant ). I do not understand the whole "open carry" thing. The LAST thing in the world I want is for someone else to know I'm carrying. 1) it can be awkward if you bump into a rabidly anti-gun type, and 2) if I were out to do harm (I'm not in any way) the first person to go would be the one I know is carrying (to state it again, this is is only to make a point, I'm not that guy).

I'm not obsessive about it, but the element of surprise gives me one more option than I would have if a bad guy knows I'm the dog amongst the sheep.
    The element of surprise is nothing more than the bad guy seeing you have a gun. Open carry lets him be surprised before he attacks and concealed carry surprises him after he attacks. We all get to decide which situations/environments what method of surprising the bad guy works best for us.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    I don't bother looking too hard to see if others are carrying or not. It's obvious in some cases, others not. I can and do, however, pick up on both potential criminals and plainclothes or off-duty LEOs almost invariably. Also usually combat vets. It's not anything I can single out, just an awareness of them.
    You're probably looking only half as hard.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    I can relate to this..

I don't really try to classify people as armed or unarmed, I simply consider all people to be armed unless I discover otherwise. I pay more attention to the "manner" of a person which gives way to their likely intent. I can typically get a read on most people ( good, bad or ugly) and when I cant, I will place them in a default category of probably "bad". Caution doesn't hurt anyone and more caution is generally better than less caution when dealing with unknown factors.

What I have come to realize is that bad people have much more in common with one another than good people do. Bad people are much easier to spot once you know what you are looking for.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I think you might be overthinking it all.
    AMEN!!!
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    The element of surprise is nothing more than the bad guy seeing you have a gun. Open carry lets him be surprised before he attacks and concealed carry surprises him after he attacks. We all get to decide which situations/environments what method of surprising the bad guy works best for us.
    Well said. Things are so situationally dependant you and I could both be right (as are people with 25 other opinions). The world is not black and white but various shades of grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Run your cursor anywhere on the post you are wanting to give a like to and it should appear over on the right side of the post along with a "share" button.
    Gratzi
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You're probably looking only half as hard.
    Now that was just plain MEAN. Ohhh, henheheh.
    OldVet likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Old fat white guys like me are Claude Raines invisible to the younger crowd, and most of them have their faces glued to their iPhones anyway.
    99% of the time I’m wearing drawstring shorts and an untucked polo shirt. Pocket tote an LCP that I hardly know is there myself.
    OD* likes this.
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links