Do any of you carry concealed with an OWB holster? - Page 5

Do any of you carry concealed with an OWB holster?

This is a discussion on Do any of you carry concealed with an OWB holster? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cypher I don't like IWB because I can't get my belt tight enough to hold my pants up without digging the gun ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Do any of you carry concealed with an OWB holster?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I don't like IWB because I can't get my belt tight enough to hold my pants up without digging the gun into my side.

The magic word is: Suspenders.

Specifically Perry brand with clips that that slip under your gunbelt. Don't leave home without it!
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yeild, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Do any of you carry concealed with an OWB holster?

Regarding the Versacarry being soft and clumsy:

Not so much. It is a single layer but it is a thick one. As for the difficulty reholstering, the only time I really unholster the gun is when I get home and Iím removing it. The rest of the time it stays holstered unless needed.

I do heartily agree about the mag pouch included on the holster. For the record, I bought the double mag pouch and wear it on my left side with the spare mags. If I were inclined to buy a third mag, it would reside there as a backup, but if you follow a good tactical strategy you shouldnít ever find yourself in a protracted gun battle where you would need that third magazine as you had best be getting your way out of trouble not sticking around. Iíve had all kinds of holsters and change them out every 5 years or so because of wear, and I can promise everyone here this stuff is as heavily constructed as youíll find at this price point and when Iím not at work, use the setup every day when Iím out and about and it is really easy to forget itís there which IMHO is a testament to how comfortable they are.

In fact, 2 weeks ago I walked right into the local SAPD substation to pick up my son who is in the explorer cadet post there training for a spot in the academy when he graduates high school. Of course, the officers noticed and I thought I was screwed. Instead, they invited me back and we had some fun talking guns and of course, they all had to check out the Springfield EMP which was a big hit. I thanked them profusely for being merciful with this law abiding citizen and they told me no problem, thanks for sending a future officer their way.

We will all be putting in some range time in the near future their patrol Sargent assured me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by crstrode View Post
    The magic word is: Suspenders.

Specifically Perry brand with clips that that slip under your gunbelt. Don't leave home without it!
    I used to use Perry suspenders on my duty belt and after a while they give me back problems. I'll just continue to carry OWB thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Update: So much for me and OWB. I tried it today with the new holster, wearing a really baggy t-shirt. It printed regardless of what position I slid it around to. Once I got back home from my walk, I slipped on one of the Alien Gear IWB rigs for comparison. The gun completely disappeared.

So until jacket weather returns, it'll be IWB if I want to carry anything bigger than the XDS 45.
    sparkyfender likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I look forward to cool weather that permits me to wear a hoodie as I find iwb uncomfortable and prefer owb. Unfortunately it cannot be done with a t-shirt imo.

Quote Originally Posted by smoke33 View Post
    ...I find iwb uncomfortable and prefer owb. Unfortunately it cannot be done with a t-shirt imo.
    No, but it can be done very well with a lightweight vest. I believe it's fashionable to wear a light vest over a tucked-in T-shirt.
    I have two: one brown, one black. They're just long enough to completely cover a pistol carried OWB at "3:00."

I also have fleece vests, similarly long, for cold weather.

My doctor wears a Filson wool vest to cover his defense weapon, but that's a little rich for my blood.
    smoke33, Poorly and Rockymonster like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Filson? Oooh la la!
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Nobody has mentioned my technique, so here goes.

On a Kydex OWB holster with the screw in clips, like this:

Do any of you carry concealed with an OWB holster?-oh_owb_front_digital_tan_usa_grande.jpg

Do any of you carry concealed with an OWB holster?-oh_owb_back_standard_loops_99e75a0e-b06b-4a23-a8d0-cc206804f83f_grande.jpg

Reverse the belt clips from the inside of the holster to the outside. Use a slightly larger belt and run it over the outside of the holster instead of around behind it. If you're anything like me, it will simply disappear and printing will be a thing of the past.

BTW this is a $39 Outlaw Holster but a lot of others will work. So will soft loops.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    No, but it can be done very well with a lightweight vest. I believe it's fashionable to wear a light vest over a tucked-in T-shirt.
    I have two: one brown, one black. They're just long enough to completely cover a pistol carried OWB at "3:00."

I also have fleece vests, similarly long, for cold weather.

My doctor wears a Filson wool vest to cover his defense weapon, but that's a little rich for my blood.
    What kind of lightweights vests do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Instymp View Post
    I wear a Patagonia vest. I also wear a lot of unbuttoned flannels either under the vest or by itself.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    I carry my 4.25 length 1911 OWB with ease!

HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Nobody has mentioned my technique, so here goes.

On a Kydex OWB holster with the screw in clips, like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oh_owb_front_digital_tan_usa_grande.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	302070

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oh_owb_back_standard_loops_99e75a0e-b06b-4a23-a8d0-cc206804f83f_grande.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	302072

Reverse the belt clips from the inside of the holster to the outside. Use a slightly larger belt and run it over the outside of the holster instead of around behind it. If you're anything like me, it will simply disappear and printing will be a thing of the past.

BTW this is a $39 Outlaw Holster but a lot of others will work. So will soft loops.
    I've thought about trying this with the new pancake holster. That is, run the belt so that it goes around the outside of the holster.

I have nothing to lose by trying, because when wearing it the "correct" way, I can't conceal it for squat.
    OldChap likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I find that OWB is far more comfortable for me than IWB. I own a Galco Combat Master for my Beretta 92 compact and a DeSantis Speed Scabbard for my Taurus PT92 with a picatinny rail attached. Both are OWB.
    sparkyfender likes this.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothings. - Edmond Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Instymp View Post
    The black one is very lightweight cotton by Royal Robbins.
    The brown one is lightweight waxed cotton by Madison Creek.
    Neither are "photographers' vests" because they are what amateur concealed-weapons carriers use, and they scream, "Shoot me first."
    Both of my lightweight vests were purchased from a remainder-sales house which used to be called the Sierra Trading Post: https://www.sierra.com/
    But you might also try another remainder-sales house, Campmor: https://www.campmor.com/
    Instymp and Rock and Glock like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Senior Moderator
    @Militant : Oooh La La !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I OWC or pocket carry.

I have never IWB, AIWB, or any of those alternatives.

I am officially a curmudgeon. I do not change.
    OD* and Militant like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links