Side loaded belly band, any opinion?

This is a discussion on Side loaded belly band, any opinion? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iím thinking of getting a side loaded belly band for my .357 4Ē wheel gun. Have never used one but. Thought it may fix a ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Sister
  • 2 Post By jmf552
  • 2 Post By OldChap
  • 2 Post By jmf552
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn
  • 1 Post By Shootnlead
  • 1 Post By TimGunn
  • 1 Post By Haywood
  • 3 Post By FAS1

Thread: Side loaded belly band, any opinion?

Iím thinking of getting a side loaded belly band for my .357 4Ē wheel gun. Have never used one but. Thought it may fix a problem. Ill need a chiropractor if itís not carried in the center and it wouldnít fit in the small of my back my frame wont allow for it.

The gun is heavy for me but Iím determined to carry it, I love that gun.

Any experience with a side loader?

Open to suggestions, we did think of across the chest but due to lots of circles on my body (lol) it just would not fit. An no thank you to a bra holder. Hope the side loader will be a good choice.
    OldChap likes this.
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

I have tried a belly band, but after some experimentation and modification, it resides in a drawer and I've never used it. And that was for a small 9mm auto. It didn't conceal that well and it would not have stayed in place if I had to run or I was on the ground wrestling with some bad guy.

I can't imagine it for a 4" .357. The side loader designs I've seen online don't look to me like that would conceal a gun that size or stay in place. What I find ironic is people are always saying, rightly, "Get a good gun belt for carry." But then they consider a belly band made out of stretchy material which is the opposite of that.

If I wanted to CC a 4" .357, I would get a high-quality shoulder holster. If it needs to be in the center, I'd get a military style shoulder holster, although that wouldn't conceal well either. Just MHO.
    OldChap and Sister like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Even though some might argue the notion, I am a lot more svelte than I used to be. Playing football and lifting a lot of heavy weights in my youth made me somewhat...err...chunky. After nearly 8 years of 1800 calories a day, I gave in to Mrs. OldChap's pleas and tried a belly band holster from these fine folks:

https://comforttac.com/collections/belly-band-holsters

I am fairly impressed. The price was right and it is very comfortable and conceals well. As long as I don't exercise in the heat, it stays cool and dry. Unlike some, I have no plans to roll around in the dirt with miscreants, and my running days are over. I carry a slap-jack since September 1st. Used properly, it is as lethal as a 9mm and can be used at very close range.

What I don't know is how well a revolver would work. I tried the belly band with one of my PF-9's and it just disappeared under a T-shirt. Mrs. OldChap uses a belly band all the time but she carries a Shield 9mm in hers. Maybe someone will come along who has tried one with a revolver.
    Sister and cosh like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. She will always be terribly missed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Here ya go. This should work:

Side loaded belly band, any opinion?-hunting.jpg
    Sister and montejames like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I was looking at these, looks pretty comfortable.

Did try a good gun belt and wore it as long as I could until it put my hips out of place, walking with even that small weight (but more than my snub) will put my hips/lower back out. This is about the only thing I can come up with. When we get where itís cooler then a shoulder holster will be considered but with the heat here there isnít much way I could conceal that.

https://www.daltechforce.com/collect...-band-holsters
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

The Velcro retention strap makes the draw rather slow.

A 4 inch revolver is a lot of gun to tote around, especially in womenís clothes. And the longer barrel takes, well, longer to clear the holster.

Sometimes we have to stop trying to fit 10 gallons into a 5 gallon bucket.

Mrs 10thmtn used a Kangaroo shoulder holster before switching to the bra holster. Maybe that would work for you?
    Sister likes this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    My daughter uses a Versa Carry top loading band...works very well for her petite build.

She uses it without the retention strap engaged...unlike in the picture.

Side loaded belly band, any opinion?-67410260_2271012989649645_8763559564063801344_n.jpg
    Sister likes this.
    ďThe everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.Ē Skeeter Skelton

@Sister , if you need to carry the gun weight near your centerline, have you considered appendix or cross draw on a belt? Supporting the weight of a 4" revolver in a belly band would require it be cinched very tight; too tight for my comfort based on rejecting an SP-101 .357 and an LCR in a belly band I have.

Maybe look at the Fist #42 Driving Holster which rotates from cross draw to horizontal.

LEATHER : #42 DRIVING HOLSTER
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

I have one that I carry a SCCY in. It works for that, but anything larger, I think might be a problem.
    Sister likes this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

If I wear a belly band tight it makes my back hurt.
    Sister likes this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Bellybands + Texas = Uncomfortably HOT for 8 months out of the year.
    Sister, 10thmtn and KILTED COWBOY like this.
    Glenn

FAS1 SAFE

VIP Member
    I know there are tons of different belly bands. The one I have would NO WAY support that revolver of yours, @Sister

Mostly they are made for small guns. Mouse guns to sub-compact. Think Glock 42 or 42 for size reference. Even a Glock 19 would be stretching the elastic pocket out a bit too far - I THINK.

And as mentioned, belly bands could very well be like wearing a mini sauna in the Texas heat.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Walking around with gym shorts I use a belly band with XDs 9mm.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I fully understand about the chiro. That's why I can only carry in a vest or shoulder holster or belly band. Too much weight on my hips and I'm at the chiro.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Sponsored Links