Are you carrying a gun? - Page 2

Are you carrying a gun?

This is a discussion on Are you carrying a gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cypher My point isn't so much if people who know what to look for spot you as it is how poorly do ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Are you carrying a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    My point isn't so much if people who know what to look for spot you as it is how poorly do you have to be concealing before some random soccer mom figures it out?
    Gotcha. Well, I think that it would have to be pretty poor concealing job, or, due to unforeseen circumstances, some accidentally gives you a bump check and discovers it.
    Cypher likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I've only been "made" one time, and I perform music in front of lots of people several nights a week. I am very careful to deep conceal so as not to offend or scare non-gun people in a crowded restaurant/bar. The guy who made me was an undercover LEO -- I can spot 'em in a crowd. Our eyes met, and he gave a slight smile and nodded his head once. End of story.
    G26Raven and Rick McC. like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

People who know I carry (such as my wife) don't seem to know when I am carrying so I guess I'm doing it right. I have had the impression at work a few times that I was spotted but nobody has even said anything. I made changes to try to prevent that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I've never been "tagged" or approached by anyone, not in all the years I've carried. I've been in convenience stores in front of LEO's, Wally World, Bass Pro, and have been stopped by Bass Pro LEO security because my boots security tag wasn't removed and set off the alarm. Twice! Zero, "Do you have a gun"? I guess my concealed OWB carry is okay despite a slight bulge. My carry guns are full sized, mostly a P226, or a P30LS. No pocket guns or other diminutive substitutes for me, therefore, I Don't fret getting noticed. Now maybe if I were in a Dunkin Doughnuts... (jk). Geez, some people are overly paranoid!
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurgeMan View Post
    If you appendix carry, people are less likely to see it because alot of people don't purposefully stare at your junk. And if they ask about any bulge there, there is a whole myriad of comebacks you can hit them with.
    "Excuse me. Is that a Springfield Champion .45 in Stainless, with Trijicon night sights and Ed Brown Tactical thumb safety in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I've never been "tagged" or approached by anyone, not in all the years I've carried. I've been in convenience stores in front of LEO's, Wally World, Bass Pro, and have been stopped by Bass Pro LEO security because my boots security tag wasn't removed and set off the alarm. Twice! Zero, "Do you have a gun"? I guess my concealed OWB carry is okay despite a slight bulge. My carry guns are full sized, mostly a P226, or a P30LS. No pocket guns or other diminutive substitutes for me, therefore, I Don't fret getting noticed. Now maybe if I were in a Dunkin Doughnuts... (jk). Geez, some people are overly paranoid!
    I don't think you read the opening post. The person I'm talking about was so obvious that some random soccer mom walk up to him in Walmart and ask him if he's carrying a gun. That's not paranoia, that's stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

So my question is barring a major wardrobe malfunction do people get "made" that frequently? Is it really a thing?

I would guess that about 98% do not get "made". My thinking is that if you can't actually see some part of the gun or the holster, then you don't know what you're not seeing. You just think you know.

You could be looking at the bulge from a knife sheath, cellphone, tumor, hernia, fanny pack, undeveloped siamese twin, colostomy bag , or a gun. You would really just be guessing, wouldn't you?

I for one, am not going to ask someone what that bulge is on their side. None of my business. And when someone asks me what the bulge is on my side, I'll say "when I think it's any of your business, I'll tell you. "
    G26Raven and duane_wade like this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I would have just pointed at my crotch and said “ no, this is my gun” and walked away.
    "and it's for fun?!"
    G-man*, msgt/ret, M1911A1 and 1 others like this.

Never had anyone ask me whether I have been pocket carrying, carrying OWB, IWB or AIWB. Not in California, Arizona, Utah, Montana, Nevada, Wyoming or Idaho. Not in big cities like Los Angeles or Las Vegas, not in small towns with populations of 3000.
    M1911A1 and Kenny53 like this.
    Force yourself to be uncomfortable.

First I want to give an idea of the setting. I was checking a city building in the late afternoon and the building was situated across the street from a railroad right-of-way and then right past the railroad right-of-way was the interstate and the Railroad right-of-way was wooded.

So I'm doing my check and all of a sudden five cop cars pull into the parking lot and the cops get out and surround me. They told me that there had been report of some guy sitting in the woods by the railroad right-of-way with some type of rifle possibly an AR and they were there check it out.

So they asked me if I'd seen anything, I told them no and they told me to exercise caution because they didn't know for sure where the guy was at.

Then they asked me if I was armed.

I mean five cops, broad daylight there literally less than arm's distance from me and no one thought to look and see if I was carrying a gun?

How can anyone tell your carry,if they have there nose stuck in a cell phone all the time,most people don’t know you exist, there walking looking down texting.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    USN,NRA,

Never had a stranger ask if or what I was carrying. I can remember one time I was very obviously exposed when my daughter lifted my shirt because she wanted my wallet to 'pay' in the Publix checkout line. Even though I saw the staff lock eyes on my hip, they never said anything.

I have been made a couple of times since 1980 something. Its really of no consequence because I do not entertain inquires made of me by strangers. How well I conceal my firearm depends on many factors. I am not some sort of elitist in this regard, sometimes I conceal rather well and other times I print rather noticeably. I do not carry with the idea that my weapon in UNDETECTIBLE. I carry with the idea that my weapon is not obvious (as a weapon) to the casual observer.

I carry a gun because I can.. I conceal it because it pleases me. I am not in a contest with anyone over who can conceal their handgun the best. I am not really concerned about the sensibilities of the walking around public who may encounter me while shopping. I simply mind my own business and do not grant nosey strangers any power over me. Its rude but it serves me.

I say this as someone who abides by the law and respects private property right. If you have a gunbuster sign, I wont enter with my gun. If you don't have a gunbuster sign, I do not take questions from the citizenry. If a LEO wants to ask me a question, I will kindly answer it.

That's about it

ps: I do remember about 10 years ago, some guy who I suspect was a loss prevention or something- was following me around one of the big box stores. When I was sure he was following me, I kindly placed a few items in his cart. He didn't follow me after that
    Nix, Wavygravy, msgt/ret and 5 others like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Creepy
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

I've been 'made' once that I know of over the years. Early on, wearing a fanny pack sort of thing ( I know ...). Another fanny pack wearer came around a corner and about slammed into me. We both stood back, locked our eyes on the fanny packs, had a quick 'I know what you got there' moment and went about our business.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links