Are you carrying a gun?

Are you carrying a gun?

This is a discussion on Are you carrying a gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize this isn't a new topic but this is a slightly different iteration. I just watched a YouTube video in which the YouTuber tells ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Are you carrying a gun?

Are you carrying a gun?

I realize this isn't a new topic but this is a slightly different iteration.

I just watched a YouTube video in which the YouTuber tells us he's shopping at Walmart with his family when he notices two people (random couple not thugs) following him. Eventually he asks them if there's something he can help them with and they tell him they noticed the bulge and were trying to figure out it was a gun or not. He tells them it's a colostomy bag and that's the end of the video.

Assuming the story is true and not something he made up for channel content his efforts at concealment had to be pretty damned lackadaisical to have drawn that much attention to himself. In this guy's case I have to ask myself (and I did ask him) if he cared enough to lie why not care enough to properly conceal the gun? (I'm sure he's going to block me from his channel) ETA he didn't block me but he's a little butthurt with me.

That I'm absolutely positive of I've been "made" exactly once. I bent down to get something off the floor and someone behind me noticed (or really thought I had a cute butt) and gave me a thumbs up. That's the only time I'm aware of that anyone has ever "caught" me.

I don't think I make any unreasonable effort to conceal my gun. Quality belt, quality holster, dress around the gun, the basics and it's mostly worked.

So my question is barring a major wardrobe malfunction do people get "made" that frequently? Is it really a thing?

I mentioned this to my wife just now but we were at her sister's house one day and her (my wife's) daughter was there with her crackhead husband. At some point during the day he leaned over the coffee table and his shirt rode up his back far enough to expose a Glock 17 sticking out of his ass crack. I don't think anyone but me noticed it. So maybe people really are oblivious.
    TheGurgeMan likes this.

If you appendix carry, people are less likely to see it because alot of people don't purposefully stare at your junk. And if they ask about any bulge there, there is a whole myriad of comebacks you can hit them with.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurgeMan View Post
    If you appendix carry, people are less likely to see it because alot of people don't purposefully stare at your junk. And if they ask about any bulge there, there is a whole myriad of comebacks you can hit them with.
    Keep it simple "I'm just happy to see you."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    I've been carrying full time for many years, and have never been asked that question on the basis of a tell.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

So maybe people really are oblivious
    People who carry themselves are the ones most likely to spot others who do but people in general are oblivious.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    People who carry themselves are the ones most likely to spot others who do but people in general are oblivious.
    I don't know if it is so much oblivious as it is not knowing what to look for, and not caring enough to figure it out.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    In that specific instance it wasn't a tell, it was the actual gun growing out of his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I don't know if it is so much oblivious as it is not knowing what to look for, and not caring enough to figure it out.
    So imagine how obvious the YouTube guy must have been
    Workaholic and Bad Bob like this.

I would have just pointed at my crotch and said “ no, this is my gun” and walked away.
    Workaholic, msgt/ret, OD* and 7 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Nix
    I've never been asked. No one has ever made a comment.

On the other hand, I think I've 'made' a few people carrying concealed on occasion. I never say anything or ask. So I'm guessing that I, too, may have been spotted in the past, and the observer has been equally discreet.

sigman69 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    I don't go out of my way to determine if someone is conceal carrying. Sometimes I don't even notice that someone is open carrying right away. I guess my SA skills suck. Or you could say that it doesn't freak me out. Besides, how often does the presence of a firearm become a problem? The vast majority of gun owners are mentally OK. Otherwise there would be a lot more dead people than there is. Too bad there are a lot of bad/unsafe drivers also. From what I've observed, there are far more unsafe drivers than there are unsafe gun owners. Look at just parking lots during the peak of the shopping day and you'll see people driving the wrong way and, more likely, speeding. 20+ MPH in a parking lot is something to watch out for. Just watching how people move their shopping carts makes me wonder about their driving skills. I'm surprised there aren't more vehicle deaths than there are.
    SWsouthpaw likes this.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

As far as I know, I've never been made. I make sure I dress appropriately. The only tell that I'm aware of is after getting up, I straighten the back of my shirt. If I have been made while cc, no one has said anything to me.

ETA: I think Its more along the lines of people are either oblivious, or they may spot something, but have no clue what it is. Most people are not curious enough about other people's middle sections for it to be spotted to even worry about it.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

In my case, I just don’t care enough to look for it.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    I've been carrying full time for many years, and have never been asked that question on the basis of a tell.
    Ditto
    Member COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

I have carried guns off and on since 1963 and had a concealed carry permit since 1992. Nobody has ever made a comment to me about carrying a concealed handgun.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    In my case, I just don’t care enough to look for it.
    My point isn't so much if people who know what to look for spot you as it is how poorly do you have to be concealing before some random soccer mom figures it out?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links