Is it old age or just a caliber I don't like much?

This is a discussion on Is it old age or just a caliber I don't like much? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 9mm. I have one and I always think a gun person should have one. Why? Inexpensive and effective cartridge that seems everybody else has, makes ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Is it old age or just a caliber I don't like much?

9mm.

I have one and I always think a gun person should have one. Why? Inexpensive and effective cartridge that seems everybody else has, makes sense right?
    Well, I have had some good ones like Glock, S&W, HK, Sig and still have the HK and it should check all the boxes like concealable, reliability, I can get 15 rounds mags or 10 or even 13 so it hits the capacity argument pretty well.

I think I just have no love for 9mm. Its practical and all but, when I go shooting these days its either a 1911, a 38 special or a 357 magnum with a few shots through the 380 at times. I have to force myself to keep practicing with 9mm or even carry it anymore.

When I put on my practical,sensible hat I find no faults with it and quite a few really good positives for a carry cartridge choice. In trying to thin down the herd for retirement sake the 9mm seems like one I should keep for cost,etc.

Maybe I have not found the right gun yet? Today I am winterizing the RV and doing some home projects before winter hits and the lightweight commander in a Galco summer comfort IWB seems very comfortable for today's chores. When we travel to see some of the Grand kids next month it will be the 1911 while traveling and then the 642 AIWB when playing with the little ones because it hides easy and doesn't get bumped by kids when goofing around.

Again the 9 stays home. Not going to sell it because of that nagging feeling it has its place down the road. A few thousand rounds I am keeping at the bottom of that lake is another reason to hang on to it.

Anyone else just have a caliber that to you is just sort of "Meh"?

Call it blasphemy but I'm kind of meh on God's caliber. I like my p220 and if I am going to look at a 1911 it will be a 45, but I've sold off all my polymer 45s and just don't have any inclination to buy more of that type of gun.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I never could warm up to .40 but I like 10mm - go figure. I never liked 7mm Rem Magnum, but I like .308. Got rid of everything .40 and 7mm Rem Magnum.

Pistol inventory includes 9mm, 10mm, .45, .357, 38 special and .22.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I think its a platform thing specific to you. Im probably the same and settled on large with hammer. But I carry .45 and 357Sig.

Hammer guns, Sig 220 compact on me now or a 229. But my 228 and CZ SP-01 Phantom, are so nice to shoot, but seldom carried. 9mm fits my carry best in a tiny gun for specific situations.

The only good advice I can give you is to not handload batches of 9mm and 45acp one the same day or you will end up liking 9mm even less.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Call it blasphemy or self-doubt -- I'm kind of hesitant about getting a 1911, even though I secretly want one. The last time I messed with one at all was over 45 years ago. So many parts, so many things to reassemble wrong, etc. I guess that means I don't know if I like 45s or not anymore.
    I don't care for 40 caliber, and I have shot them recently. .357 Magnum, 9mm, .380 -- no problemo.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Distinguished Member
    So I am exactly the opposite. I learned to shoot a pistol using the M1911 and carried one in Nam for two years. When I was discharged I bought a 45 Colt. when the military replace the 45 with 9mm I tried a Beretta 92, and I really like it better than the 1911/45. When 9mm was criticized as not being a sufficient SD round I tries a 40. I di not like it any more than the 45 and I liked it less than the 9. I simply found that I was more accurate with the 9. So I stuck with it. I have owned several different 9mm pistols over the past 20 years, and my current one (EDC) ia a Walther PPS M2. Advances in bullet design allow me to feel quite secure that the 9 is more than adequate for SD. So 9mm is as important to me and other than 9 is to the OP. To each his own.

However there is one interesting thing 9. It has nothing to do with guns, but it is great trivia, and who nows maybe it makes 9 special.

When you multiply any number by 9, then add the resulting digits and reduce them to a single digit, it always becomes a 9. For example, 6 x 9 = 54, reduce 54 to a single digit by adding them together: 5 + 4 = 9. Similarly, 8 x 9 = 72, and 7 + 2 = 9. Or 23 x 9 = 207, 2 + 0 + 7 = 9, and so forth. There is nothing coincidental about this peculiarity. Try it. Any number, no matter how large, multiplied by 9 reduces to 9. From a numerological perspective, the 9 simply takes over, like the infamous body snatchers. Any number that was initially increased by a factor of 9 loses its own identity and instead takes on the characteristics of the 9. No other number has that quality.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June 66 to February 68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Call it blasphemy or self-doubt -- I'm kind of hesitant about getting a 1911, even though I secretly want one. The last time I messed with one at all was over 45 years ago. So many parts, so many things to reassemble wrong, etc. I guess that means I don't know if I like 45s or not anymore.
    I don't care for 40 caliber, and I have shot them recently. .357 Magnum, 9mm, .380 -- no problemo.
    I completely understand that as I did not want to get one for fear I would like it, sounds crazy I know but, it was about carrying a gun with a safety not necessarily the 1911 itself. I am one of those who think I should carry the gun that makes the most sense and not just because I like it. Trouble is practice. If I don't really like to practice then that is another concern.
    I cut my teeth on DA/SA with decocker so I am used to having to thumb another lever but, after I shoot and not before. I don't think for myself its wise to have both.
    Struckat and gatorbait51 like this.

"a caliber that to you is just sort of "Meh"?
    38 special - 5 rounds of 38 in a snub aint a preferred carry gun for me.
    380 - better than a 38 snub, but still not a caliber I'd prefer to defend myself with.
    Pistols I carry are 9mm minimum, 40 S&W getting carried the most lately (Glock 23 or 35)
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

I've never owned or had interest in anything 40 Cal.

In my collection I am absolutely meh about 45 ACP. A Ruger P90 was my first pistol and it has been utterly reliable and more accurate than it should be at its price point. I hold onto it just for the sake of nostalgia. But I have no interest in adding anything 45 ACP to my collection. It's a fine caliber but more expensive than I want for plinking and I don't want to carry any lower capacity 45 ACP.

I was almost convinced years ago that every gun guy has to have a 1911 in their collection. Now I would only own one if it was given to me as a gift. Fine enough platform but it is an antiquated design like another poster mentioned too many parts, reassembly isn't so straight forward but at least they have fantastic triggers. For me that is about the only reason to own a 1911, the trigger. Otherwise they are too heavy for such low capacity and there are plenty of other reliable higher capacity designs to choose from to go with an old timey 1911.

BTW, I prefer DA S&W and Ruger revolvers so I've got more old timey fuddy duddy instincts than a wannabe high speed low drag operator type. If you love 1911s, congratulations. I simply don't.

VIP Member
    I can see age related issues like recoil tolerance, but not a bias against a specific caliber. It is just you.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    I have a P365 which I carry regularly these days with the warm weather. Come cooler weather and heavier clothes, I'll probably be wearing the G29 10mm most of the time. Being a double-stack, it's thicker and somewhat larger than the P365 so it's difficult to conceal well in summer clothes.
    The 9mm isn't that bad in terms of performance, it's a pretty good jump up from the 38 sp and 380, pretty comparable to the 357 in a snubby without all the recoil. But the snubby still has its place, in my jacket pocket with the cooler weather.
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

Senior Moderator
    I've long felt that I've had a "bent" chronograph or something.

It's kept showing me how that 9mm can't do anything that a .38 Special can't also do, except that the .38 Special can be goaded to handle heavier bullets more expeditiously than the 9mm can through carefully chosen factory loads or else judicious hand loading. The 9mm has been ballyhooed, pushed, and marketed in my lifetime at the older revolver cartridge's expense. Is it superior? I don't think so, not in velocity performance, not in potential bullet performance. 9mm's modern claim to fame is that pistols so chambered can either hold "lots a' bullets" or else be compact enough to satisfy a generation that buys the notion of ever-smaller and ever-lighter is the first and best attribute of a side arm.

For cryin' out loud, one can hand load any trick 9mm wonder bullet in the .38 Special cartridge for duplicate performance if he so desires.

It's not hard. I've done it. Put 'em in the charged and flared .38 Special case mouths, crimp 'em in, and fire 'em off. I can't help it if factories don't choose to load the "trickest of the current trick bullets in the .38 Special. Doesn't mean the cartridge isn't capable. Plus, the .38 Special has a few tricks of its own remaining up its sleeve in that it can handle any effective bullet without regard to feeding reliability.

I love the .38 Special which has always been a lucky cartridge for me in my field ramblings or whatever else I applied it to. I rationally know that 9mm and .38 Special are truly two peas in a pod ... unless one, whether deliberately or in ignorance, chooses to hamstring the .38 Special by selecting feeble loads or stunted revolvers. It's not axiomatic that the .38 Special cartridge must take a back seat to the 9mm cartridge in performance.

The 9mm is one of the ho-hum cartridges of my world, along with the .223/5.56 (OOO ... did I say that?). They're both effective fully adequate and no, I won't stand in front of either one while they are aimed and fired at me, but they are duller 'n dishwater to contemplate when there's a panoply of neato cartridges out there. Boring middling cartridges seem to fire the apparently narrow imaginations of an entire generation of shooters.

I also love the .45 ACP, all other non-magnum .40 to .45 caliber handgun cartridges, .40 S&W and 10mm, the .357, .41, and .44 Magnum cartridges and think I'd enjoy playing with .38 Super (Super .38 for OD*) and .357 SIG.

It's more difficult to generate enthusiasm for playing with 9mm. Yeah, I've carried it a few times in recent times in a dandy pistol too, but am under no illusions about its performance, premium bullets or not.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Been shooting 45 less lately. Its a cost thing, I guess. But I do have and carry a 1911. And I never got into the 40 game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

I've liked about every caliber I've ever fired except .357 Magnum.

And the Win .458 Magnum. Didn't like that one at all. No sir.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I've long felt that I've had a "bent" chronograph or something.

It's kept showing me how that 9mm can't do anything that a .38 Special can't also do, except that the .38 Special can be goaded to handle heavier bullets more expeditiously than the 9mm can through carefully chosen factory loads or else judicious hand loading. The 9mm has been ballyhooed, pushed, and marketed in my lifetime at the older revolver cartridge's expense. Is it superior? I don't think so, not in velocity performance, not in potential bullet performance. 9mm's modern claim to fame is that pistols so chambered can either hold "lots a' bullets" or else be compact enough to satisfy a generation that buys the notion of ever-smaller and ever-lighter is the first and best attribute of a side arm.

For cryin' out loud, one can hand load any trick 9mm wonder bullet in the .38 Special cartridge for duplicate performance if he so desires.

It's not hard. I've done it. Put 'em in the charged and flared .38 Special case mouths, crimp 'em in, and fire 'em off. I can't help it if factories don't choose to load the "trickest of the current trick bullets in the .38 Special. Doesn't mean the cartridge isn't capable. Plus, the .38 Special has a few tricks of its own remaining up its sleeve in that it can handle any effective bullet without regard to feeding reliability.

I love the .38 Special which has always been a lucky cartridge for me in my field ramblings or whatever else I applied it to. I rationally know that 9mm and .38 Special are truly two peas in a pod ... unless one, whether deliberately or in ignorance, chooses to hamstring the .38 Special by selecting feeble loads or stunted revolvers. It's not axiomatic that the .38 Special cartridge must take a back seat to the 9mm cartridge in performance.

The 9mm is one of the ho-hum cartridges of my world, along with the .223/5.56 (OOO ... did I say that?). They're both effective fully adequate and no, I won't stand in front of either one while they are aimed and fired at me, but they are duller 'n dishwater to contemplate when there's a panoply of neato cartridges out there. Boring middling cartridges seem to fire the apparently narrow imaginations of an entire generation of shooters.

I also love the .45 ACP, all other non-magnum .40 to .45 caliber handgun cartridges, .40 S&W and 10mm, the .357, .41, and .44 Magnum cartridges and think I'd enjoy playing with .38 Super (Super .38 for OD*) and .357 SIG.

It's more difficult to generate enthusiasm for playing with 9mm. Yeah, I've carried it a few times in recent times in a dandy pistol too, but am under no illusions about its performance, premium bullets or not.
    Exactly my point that I have little enthusiasm for 9mm at the practice field. In fact I shot a box through the commander 45 and a box through the 4" Model 10 today. Seemed like it went fast even though I was trying to make it last. At 61 I have yet to fire a .40 S&W. 44 special is another round I wish I could afford to shoot more but, alas that is really a handloaders round.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links