Run, Hide, Fight

Run, Hide, Fight

This is a discussion on Run, Hide, Fight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I went to a large staff meeting with 125 professional employees. On the agenda was active shooter training conducted by our facility manager, who ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree395Likes

Thread: Run, Hide, Fight

Run, Hide, Fight

Today I went to a large staff meeting with 125 professional employees. On the agenda was active shooter training conducted by our facility manager, who is ex-Navy. He proceeded to talk about "gun violence", quote statistics from liberal sources on mass shootings, call the AR-15 an "assault rifle", etc. We were further lectured on "run, hide and fight", plus environmental awareness, getting to know people in our environment, reporting suspicious people (including current employees), etc.

I'm a couple of years from retirement. I had a tough time keeping my trap shut. Had I challenged the speaker, I'm sure I could have been given my walking papers. Nevertheless, I will take-up the presentation today with the facility manager and the cop downstairs in private.

A real shame when a gun buster sign is posted in a place of employment and the sign has the force of law. If employers are really that concerned about their employees in an active shooter situation, they would permit employees to arm themselves to counter potential shooters. My 2 cents anyway. I'll get louder as I go out the door.
    Last edited by scottync; September 24th, 2019 at 09:38 PM.

Nix
    When the shepherd is also a sheep.....

DG
    Call me stupid, but think about it....seriously....

I'm a couple of years from retirement. I had a tough time keeping my trap shut. Had I challenged the speaker, I'm sure I could have been given my walking papers. Nevertheless, I will take-up the presentation today with the facility manager and the cop downstairs in private.

How much are you willing to risk just to make your point?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    [SIZE=3][FONT=arial]Today I went to a large staff meeting with another 125 professional employees. On the agenda was active shooter training conducted by our facility manager, who is ex-Navy.
    Ex-Navy (AF, Army, Marine, CG, service, etc.) doesn't mean squat. I've known too many who couldn't find their way out of a paper bag, much less fight their way out. Telling him you ain't buying what he's selling isn't going to change his mind. It's company CYA training and not much more.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Our training actually suggested throwing a potted plant at the shooter as a last resort. That was video based training and about five years ago. I chuckled as I thought how screwed I was if it ever came to be.

For the last 10 years I had sat through these kinds of meetings.I got to where afterwards I could with a straight face pat them on their little heads and tell them how much that meant to me! I got to the point that for $40 an hour I could smile through the whole thing! I had a Boss that could not. He only lasted about 5 years!
    Now I sit in front of my little lap top and read about other people who have to go to meeting that should have been an E mail.

One day soon you will be laughing too! Just remember the prize at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    Call me stupid, but think about it....seriously....

How much are you willing to risk just to make your point?
    I've always believed that if you take someone's money, you have to abide by their rules. Nevertheless, I've never felt such a need to speak out about policy. I will do so quietly, behind the scenes with the right people, which has always been my modus operandi.

Quote Originally Posted by fastattack View Post
    Our training actually suggested throwing a potted plant at the shooter as a last resort. That was video based training and about five years ago. I chuckled as I thought how screwed I was if it ever came to be.
    Oh Lord, my mouth would have likely gotten me in trouble.
    airslot, gatorbait51 and Gabill like this.

Remember, it was an Army officer who showed us what full semi auto is.

As far as the gun buster signs, they arenít worried about an external threat, itís the internal threat they are worried about.
    We get the government we deserve.

He may not believe it either. For a corporation, it is all about liability and insurance rates.
    scottync, Brad426, Melvin and 9 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Got the same lecture a few years ago at my work place. I think it is FBI's free training seminar. It keeps the employer from liability by not suggesting you arm yourself and be a hero.
    Me: "..and that brings us back to the age old question, how much ammo should you carry or how much is enough, doesn't it? Lol "
    AzQkr: "
    The age old questions answer is carry more, not less. For if more isn't enough, less surely won't be. lol"

A couple years ago, I was watching the nightly local news and I saw an interview with an Henrico County (VA) Police Lt. that said for churches, they should only need fire extinguishers to deter an active shooter. He said that armed security wasn't need, but if fire extinguishers were placed around the church, one could simply "spray" the active shooter with the fire extinguisher and no firearms were needed for security. Not to worry, the police are there to protect you regardless wherever you may be! (You know I am being snippy)
    U.S. Army Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    One of the big defense contractors has an office building across the street from the one I work in. They've recently eliminated their armed security and now have only unarmed security walking around the campus. I have no idea what their reasoning was for elimination of armed security, perhaps it's just a Boulder thing? I wonder if everyone feels better now?
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

[SIZE=3][FONT=arial]I'm a couple of years from retirement. I had a tough time keeping my trap shut. Had I challenged the speaker, I'm sure I could have been given my walking papers. Nevertheless, I will take-up the presentation today with the facility manager and the cop downstairs in private.
    Even if they ask you for it your boss doesn't want to hear your opinion. The only reason they even do those classes is to tick off a box on the insurance forms. When I am required to attend such functions I sit in the back and keep my mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by fastattack View Post
    Our training actually suggested throwing a potted plant at the shooter as a last resort.
    Better than nothing

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post
    I have no idea what their reasoning was for elimination of armed security,
    About five bucks per guard per hour

Today I went to a large staff meeting with 125 professional employees. On the agenda was active shooter training conducted by our facility manager, who is ex-Navy. He proceeded to talk about "gun violence", quote statistics from liberal sources on mass shootings, call the AR-15 an "assault rifle", etc. We were further lectured on "run, hide and fight", plus environmental awareness, getting to know people in our environment, reporting suspicious people (including current employees), etc.

A real shame when a gun buster sign is posted in a place of employment and the sign has the force of law. If employers are really that concerned about their employees in an active shooter situation, they would permit employees to arm themselves to counter potential shooters. My 2 cents anyway. I'll get louder as I go out the door.
    Corporate "Training" is often an oxymoron.

Run? maybe, if safe and possible.
    Hide? doubt it.
    Fight? if confronted, dang toot'n.
    Combination cornered cat and honey badger. Game On!
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links