Say Goodbye to Concealed Carry... - Page 3

Say Goodbye to Concealed Carry...

This is a discussion on Say Goodbye to Concealed Carry... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Use that tech to back up a "no weapons" sign and turn away customers that are carrying. IMO a majority of restaurants & businesses would ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Say Goodbye to Concealed Carry...

Use that tech to back up a "no weapons" sign and turn away customers that are carrying.
    IMO a majority of restaurants & businesses would not want to actually enforce a "no weapons" sign and turn away customers (money).
    (Some) People are willing to disarm for a concert, ballgame, or Disney; requiring disarming to get a pizza or pick up a few groceries? Capitalism would sort that out.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

With another 80 hours of time someone could easily teach the computer the same kinds of tells that we discuss here all the time. Using this guy's software it could assign a probability number to whether or not you are carrying a gun. All they would need is a very high resolution camera!
    This might be appropriate in a gun free area like the security area of an airport, the secure areas of a jail, courts, etc. But our laws have not kept up with technology, and there is no laws to prevent someone from putting this technology anywhere.
    How about on a cop car? Just drive it around and it ID's possible carriers. They already do that with license plates. They already ID cars with outstanding parking tickets, expired registration, or registered to wanted felons.
    But our laws don't address that yet.
    How about we talk about where this can legally be used before it comes into regular use! DR
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    ...Maybe

Gotta love Destin. He's an avid gun owner and does a lot of great things with firearms over the years. He fully 2A, 4A, and pro-Constitution.

But he's also an engineer and is exploring cutting edge technology which can be used with various scanning technologies to render all CC weapons visible.

The current technology is designed to identify guns in hands, and it's quite accurate.

If this technology were plugged into the cameras in a school, it would greatly help to pinpoint the exact location of the active shooter and any armed others going after him, while ignoring all the students either fleeing or hiding.

I think it's cool as heck! Since a number of other companies are involved, however, it's here to stay, and will almost certainly be on a smart phone app in 3 years or less.

But for the through-the-shirt detection, that might take a couple more years.
    That could get one in a lot of trouble if you accidentally carry into a prohibited place.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    What the fellow in the video and his buddy developed has nothing to do with detecting concealed weapons.

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Like the arguments in the open carry forum, you dont have a right to carry a gun and it is coming. They are not hiding it any longer. Even our own community cant get it together. It's only OK to carry if you do it the way I agree with. They have split us up and are going to pick us off one by one. I most likely wont be here but if you are and fought against carry in any capacity, you are at fault...enjoy...
    since9 and Bikenut like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    Like the arguments in the open carry forum, you dont have a right to carry a gun and it is coming. They are not hiding it any longer. Even our own community cant get it together. It's only OK to carry if you do it the way I agree with. They have split us up and are going to pick us off one by one. I most likely wont be here but if you are and fought against carry in any capacity, you are at fault...enjoy...
    Agreed. It's rather schizophrenic to claim you support the Second Amendment, which specifies no mode of carry, thereby prohibiting infringement of all modes of carry, only to turn around and infringe on a mode of carry.

I have a CC permit and OC is lawful here, so I'll carry any way I please.
    Bikenut and Chief1297 like this.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I am developing a tinfoil suit.
    Florida man has got ya beat.

Say Goodbye to Concealed Carry...-tyrty.png
    OD*, OldVet, M1911A1 and 2 others like this.

Senior Moderator
    Iíll just get a GSD or Mal trained the detect guns (powder residue, powder, Hopes 9, etc.).

There.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    I think that this is just an extension of the face recognition technology that is being used around the world and a very low tech version of it. He is just using the invasion of privacy issue to draw interest to his friends low tech computer program. As you walk into any real secure institution then you are already being scanned for weapons among other things. You will either be scanned or you won't be allowed to enter, simple as that. Some places don't allow cell phones and if you forget they will make you come back without it before you can enter. Had that happen to me when they wanted me to show up for jury duty. Hate to think what they would have done if I had a weapon on me. If problems present themselves we might see more advanced scanning in more places. I don't know if that is good or bad but if it helps to prevent mass killings that has to be good for all of us who carry guns to protect ourselves.

No retail business is going to spend the money to implement this technology to prevent concealed carriers from entering their business.

My take on no-guns signs is that they're for liability engineering. If there is a shooting in a store, someone is injured or killed, and there is a lawsuit, if the store didn't have a no-guns sign up, they think that a plaintiff's lawyer will try to use that against them at trial.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Use that tech to back up a "no weapons" sign and turn away customers that are carrying.
    IMO a majority of restaurants & businesses would not want to actually enforce a "no weapons" sign and turn away customers (money).
    (Some) People are willing to disarm for a concert, ballgame, or Disney; requiring disarming to get a pizza or pick up a few groceries? Capitalism would sort that out.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    No retail business is going to spend the money to implement this technology to prevent concealed carriers from entering their business.
    It'll be out as a $5 smart phone app. People already own the phones. There's no "spending the money" to implement anything.

My take on no-guns signs is that they're for liability engineering. If there is a shooting in a store, someone is injured or killed, and there is a lawsuit, if the store didn't have a no-guns sign up, they think that a plaintiff's lawyer will try to use that against them at trial.
    Totally agreed. That's what we get when we allow lawyers to run things. They don't know how to manage risk. All they know is how to minimize risk.

If we let them run the Air Force, they'd ground all aircraft.
    Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

It'll be out as a $5 smart phone app. People already own the phones. There's no "spending the money" to implement anything.

Totally agreed. That's what we get when we allow lawyers to run things. They don't know how to manage risk. All they know is how to minimize risk.

If we let them run the Air Force, they'd ground all aircraft.
    Minimizing risk is managing risk.

To detect concealed guns, they'll need sensors that aren't in smart phones (think millimeter wave radar.) So, no it will NOT be a smart phone app. Also, if the retailers wanted to do this, it would have to be fixed installations at their entrances, so likely some sort of dedicated device. To set up to produce the device will be expensive, and companies tend to charge more for products sold to businesses. This will not make it a popular thing, especially since it make the retail absolutely nothing. So ramping up production (and bringing down costs) will be difficult.

In short, it isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    To detect concealed guns, they'll need sensors that aren't in smart phones (think millimeter wave radar.)
    Didn't watch the video, did you?

So, no it will NOT be a smart phone app.
    It's already a smart phone app. It's still in alpha testing, but it works.

The only difference between training smart phone AI to recognize a pistol and differentiate it from thousands of other things and training smart phone AI to recognize shadow variations of imprints and differentiate it from thousands of other things, is time.

In fact, it might not even take as much time, as shadow variations aren't nearly as unique as specific firearms. Many imprints are common among many firearms and holsters.

It's like the quote from one of the Terminator series:

Kyle Reese: Who is in charge here? Shut up ! You still don't get it do you? He'll find her! It's what he does. It's ALL he does!

Also, if the retailers wanted to do this, it would have to be fixed installations at their entrances, so likely some sort of dedicated device.
    While are you talking about "installations," "dedicated devices," and "expensive?"

Cell phones. The AI-trained app runs on cell phones.

To set up to produce the device will be expensive...
    I can buy a decent AI-app-capable cell phone for $250.

...and companies tend to charge more for products sold to businesses.
    What about the cell phones sold to 85% of humans in America? Half of all store employees will already have it.

This will not make it a popular thing, especially since it make the retail absolutely nothing.
    When managers are convinced that something is wrong, they don't care about popularity. All they care about is stopping that which they believe is wrong.

Many retail stores are more concerned with keeping guns out than in catering to those of us who exercise our 2A rights.

If you don't believe me, then why are so many businesses posted?

"Hey, Sherry, do you still have that gun detection app on your smart phone?"

"Yes, boss. Why?"

"Train it on that guy in the corner..."

No heavy lifting required.

No dedicated installation required.

No expensive equipment required.

True, if retailers were the only market.
    They're not. How many anti-gun Demoncraps are out there? I lost count around 100 million, about 85% of which own cell phones.

So ramping up production (and bringing down costs) will be difficult.
    That would be true if it required dedicated equipment. It doesn't.

It requires a...

Wait for it...

Cell phone.

In short, it isn't going to happen.
    Wake up! It's already happened, and this was from a year ago simply by using sound waves analyzed by an iPhone.

Next year, it'll be a cell phone app that combines pattern recognition with sound waves for even greater detection and pattern discrimination capability.

The gun wasn't concealed. He was holding it in his hand. He even said it couldn't detect a gun under clothing.

Didn't watch the video, did you?

It's already a smart phone app. It's still in alpha testing, but it works.

The only difference between training smart phone AI to recognize a pistol and differentiate it from thousands of other things and training smart phone AI to recognize shadow variations of imprints and differentiate it from thousands of other things, is time.

In fact, it might not even take as much time, as shadow variations aren't nearly as unique as specific firearms. Many imprints are common among many firearms and holsters.

It's like the quote from one of the Terminator series:

Kyle Reese: Who is in charge here? Shut up ! You still don't get it do you? He'll find her! It's what he does. It's ALL he does!

While are you talking about "installations," "dedicated devices," and "expensive?"

Cell phones. The AI-trained app runs on cell phones.

I can buy a decent AI-app-capable cell phone for $250.

What about the cell phones sold to 85% of humans in America? Half of all store employees will already have it.

When managers are convinced that something is wrong, they don't care about popularity. All they care about is stopping that which they believe is wrong.

Many retail stores are more concerned with keeping guns out than in catering to those of us who exercise our 2A rights.

If you don't believe me, then why are so many businesses posted?

"Hey, Sherry, do you still have that gun detection app on your smart phone?"

"Yes, boss. Why?"

"Train it on that guy in the corner..."

No heavy lifting required.

No dedicated installation required.

No expensive equipment required.

They're not. How many anti-gun Demoncraps are out there? I lost count around 100 million, about 85% of which own cell phones.

That would be true if it required dedicated equipment. It doesn't.

It requires a...

Wait for it...

Cell phone.

Wake up! It's already happened, and this was from a year ago simply by using sound waves analyzed by an iPhone.

Next year, it'll be a cell phone app that combines pattern recognition with sound waves for even greater detection and pattern discrimination capability.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links