Say Goodbye to Concealed Carry...

This is a discussion on Say Goodbye to Concealed Carry... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...Maybe Gotta love Destin. He's an avid gun owner and does a lot of great things with firearms over the years. He fully 2A, 4A, ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Say Goodbye to Concealed Carry...

...Maybe

Gotta love Destin. He's an avid gun owner and does a lot of great things with firearms over the years. He fully 2A, 4A, and pro-Constitution.

But he's also an engineer and is exploring cutting edge technology which can be used with various scanning technologies to render all CC weapons visible.

The current technology is designed to identify guns in hands, and it's quite accurate.

If this technology were plugged into the cameras in a school, it would greatly help to pinpoint the exact location of the active shooter and any armed others going after him, while ignoring all the students either fleeing or hiding.

I think it's cool as heck! Since a number of other companies are involved, however, it's here to stay, and will almost certainly be on a smart phone app in 3 years or less.

But for the through-the-shirt detection, that might take a couple more years.

Would you enjoy spending significant amounts of conducting research and conveying carefully worded discourse when others trample it under their feet, even to the point of deleting entire threads? Of course not. Me either. Matthew 7:6

When he starts out with the misnomer “gun violence” he loses me right away.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    When he starts out with the misnomer “gun violence” he loses me right away.
    This. Anyone is instantly discredited in my view if they use terms like:

"Gun violence"
    "Assault rifle"
    "Automatic" when referring to a semi-auto weapon
    "Bullets" instead of "rounds" or "ammunition"
    "Weapons of war" when referring to an AR-15 or AK47
    "Hunting" in reference to the 2nd Amendment
    OD*, G-man*, msgt/ret and 22 others like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I also have a problem when he talks about detecting guns "where they shouldn't be." I don't really know where that is.
    Force yourself to be uncomfortable.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    CC papers please!

Holding a Ruger P95 .... definitely hi tech .....
    G-man*, Bad Bob and simple_man17 like this.
    Gun Free Zones are totally effective, and 100% safe ... (wait for it) ... (wait for it) ... until a bad guy with a gun shows up! Then suddenly, you have an uncontested Kill Zone of defensless sheep, patiently awaiting their turn for the slaughter.

Senior Moderator
    Technology's being turned to the diminishing of liberty and it's gonna get the best of us.

I do use the term "automatic" when referring to semi-automatic arms. Why? Because I'm a rube and an argumentative old cuss. So, there it is.

There is precedent.

Say Goodbye to Concealed Carry...-colt-1911-commercial-made-1955.-mint-box-b.jpg

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Technology's being turned to the diminishing of liberty and it's gonna get the best of us.

I do use the term "automatic" when referring to semi-automatic arms. Why? Because I'm a rube and an argumentative old cuss. So, there it is.

There is precedent.
    Agreed. My dad always called them "automatics" and I grew up doing the same. And as you pointed out, so does/did Colt. If you and I were having a conversation and you said "automatic," it would be a complete non-issue.

But in today's context, where the "news" media is brainwashing people 24/7, we have to pick our battles. They're doing all they can, and with great success, to convince the clueless couch potatoes and soccer moms that an AR-15 is an "automatic" weapon like what is used by the military.

-miklcolt45

Even with that innovation, the gun is still concealed.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Agreed. My dad always called them "automatics" and I grew up doing the same. And as you pointed out, so does/did Colt. If you and I were having a conversation and you said "automatic," it would be a complete non-issue.

But in today's context, where the "news" media is brainwashing people 24/7, we have to pick our battles. They're doing all they can, and with great success, to convince the clueless couch potatoes and soccer moms that an AR-15 is an "automatic" weapon like what is used by the military.
    Yeah, but I've never been accused of being PC.

I think I'm reading that you're implying that I'm old enough to be your dad.

Back to the topic at hand.

I'd consider a concealed gun to be concealed too regardless of that innovation. Problem is, will a future court? This could make carrying problematic as the innovation becomes economical enough to come into general use as it inevitably will.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    I thought he made clear that he is his fully opposed to deploying technology that could detect the existence of a concealed gun. He framed that position in the context of the 4A. Did I miss something.
    Hoganbeg and sdprof like this.

to hide; withdraw or remove from observation; cover or keep from sight:

It'll still be concealed

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I think I'm reading that you're implying that I'm old enough to be your dad.
    Actually, no, but that was funny.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    I thought he made clear that he is his fully opposed to deploying technology that could detect the existence of a concealed gun. He framed that position in the context of the 4A. Did I miss something.
    He did; however, just as this tech has been piggy-backed onto surveillance video, further advances will extend these capabilities to identifying guns that are concealed. whether he wants it or not. The tech isn't there yet but I believe it will be.

This is just another of the many issues we need to find answers for as computers revolutionize the world. We need to set restrictions and guidelines in place now or risk losing the privacy and freedom we once enjoyed.
    dangerranger likes this.
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    But you can't un-invent something. Once it's out there, he will not have control of it. BTW, this is not a unique invention. There is already a security company developing a device that can detect concealed weapons from a distance. It has been discussed on previous threads. And if people have such a device, there is nothing to stop them from freaking out if it goes off. I doubt some hoplophobe is going to say, "My system says you have a concealed weapon. Can I see your CHL?" No, they are going to call in a MWAG.
    Hoganbeg and BamaT like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links